The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Foundation years and student finance

Hey :smile: I'm applying to do a foundation year at Southampton which progresses onto a biomedical science degree.

However, I don't know if I would be able to get a student loan for the 3 years of biomedical science if I have done the foundation year since you can only get a student loan for your first higher education degree.
Does anyone know if I'm able to get a loan for all of it since you do progress from the foundation year onto biomedical science? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
Original post by lacil
Hey :smile: I'm applying to do a foundation year at Southampton which progresses onto a biomedical science degree.

However, I don't know if I would be able to get a student loan for the 3 years of biomedical science if I have done the foundation year since you can only get a student loan for your first higher education degree.
Does anyone know if I'm able to get a loan for all of it since you do progress from the foundation year onto biomedical science? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

If you apply to a course with foundation year then the SLC is informed that you're studying a 4 year course (or 5 years if you opt for the MBioSci).

Student finance generally lasts for the length of your course plus 1 additional year (if you need to repeat a year or start again elsewhere) so you would be funded for your entire course including the foundation year (and if you opt to extend to the MBioSci then as long as you don't repeat any years then that will usually be ok too).
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending