The Student Room Group

Tell me Physics facts!

I didn't take it for A-Level and wish I had. I might take the AS Level next year. SO TELL ME THINGS ABOUT PHYSICS! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sometimes things slide down slopes. Sometimes they don't.
the word physics originates from the greek word for nature :moon:
Reply 3
In terms of mass,

moon<earth<sun<...

Spoiler

E=mc2 E = mc^2
Reply 5
Staring at the sun gives you the ability to control yellow objects with your mind.
Something with a constant speed can accelerate whilst it's speed stays constant.
Lots of physical equations use imaginary numbers which don't actually exist.
Original post by Protoxylic
Something with a constant speed can accelerate whilst it's speed stays constant.

That's interesting. How does that work?

Original post by Arithmeticae
the word physics originates from the greek word for nature :moon:

That's cool, I love learning the origin of words :smile:
Original post by pencil_case

That's cool, I love learning the origin of words :smile:

acceleration is the change in velocity (which is a vector), so if you change direction you can accelerate while still having a constant speed (speed is a scalar and only has magnitude)

no problem :smile:
The sun...
0-0
---0-0--- 0-0
---0-0---

Is actually my son
YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Something on the order of 10 trillion neutrinos are passing through your body every second
Original post by Arithmeticae
acceleration is the change in velocity (which is a vector), so if you change direction you can accelerate while still having a constant speed (speed is a scalar and only has magnitude)

no problem :smile:

That makes sense! Thanks :smile:
Original post by pencil_case

Notice I said speed. If an object rotates in circular motion about a fixed point with it's speed constant, it's vector velocity constantly changes as it's direction of motion constantly changes. An acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time therefore there must be an acceleration. This acceleration is towards the centre of the circle, the object obeys Newton's first law in the sense that it 'tries' to keep moving in a straight line, but there is a net force on that object due to it's mass and acceleration, F=ma. Therefore it moves in a circle because the force is always perpendicular to it's vector velocity and directed towards the centre.
Electrons have act as if they have no mass in carbon sheets (e.g. graphite)
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2005/nov/09/electrons-lose-their-mass-in-carbon-sheets
Original post by Protoxylic
Notice I said speed. If an object rotates in circular motion about a fixed point with it's speed constant, it's vector velocity constantly changes as it's direction of motion constantly changes. An acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time therefore there must be an acceleration. This acceleration is towards the centre of the circle, the object obeys Newton's first law in the sense that it 'tries' to keep moving in a straight line, but there is a net force on that object due to it's mass and acceleration, F=ma. Therefore it moves in a circle because the force is always perpendicular to it's vector velocity and directed towards the centre.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me :smile: very fascinating, thanks
Reply 17
Original post by safesploit
Electrons have act as if they have no mass in carbon sheets (e.g. graphite)
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2005/nov/09/electrons-lose-their-mass-in-carbon-sheets

Why didn't you link this to when Sheldon said that in the Big Bang?
Reply 18
[video="youtube;AEIn3T6nDAo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIn3T6nDAo[/video]
Time travel into the future is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest