The Student Room Group

Complex numbers

I need to divide x^3 + 2x^2 + wx + u by x^2 - 2x where w= 4i + 2 and u=0. I don't know how to go about it. I know you're supposed to use long division but after that I'm lost. Any suggestions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bubblegum21
I need to divide x^3 + 2x^2 + wx + u by x^2 - 2x where w= 4i + 2 and u=0. I don't know how to go about it. I know you're supposed to use long division but after that I'm lost. Any suggestions?

If u = 0 then all your terms are divisible by x, so you can cancel that out to start with and just concentrate on dividing by x - 2.
Reply 2
Original post by davros
If u = 0 then all your terms are divisible by x, so you can cancel that out to start with and just concentrate on dividing by x - 2.

I forgot to mention that there's a +2 at the end of x^2-2x. Any suggestions?
Reply 3
I forgot to mention that there's a +2 at the end of x^2-2x. Any suggestions?

Use long division, not sure what the problem with that is.

What is the full question?
Reply 4
Original post by james22
Use long division, not sure what the problem with that is.

What is the full question?

Divide x^3 + 2x^2 + wx + u by x^2 -2x + 2 where w= -4i -2 and u=0. I am not sure how to use long division when complex numbers are involved
Reply 5
Divide x^3 + 2x^2 + wx + u by x^2 -2x + 2 where w= -4i -2 and u=0. I am not sure how to use long division when complex numbers are involved

Same as normal long division. It's no different.
Reply 6

So let's be quite clear about this. The FULL question you've been asked is:

Divide x3+2x2(2+4i)xx^3 + 2x^2 -(2 + 4i)x by x22x+2x^2 - 2x + 2

Is there a reason why you introduced the unnecessary w and u? I'm just concerned we're missing the point of the question here :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by davros
So let's be quite clear about this. The FULL question you've been asked is:

Divide x3+2x2(2+4i)xx^3 + 2x^2 -(2 + 4i)x by x22x+2x^2 - 2x + 2

Is there a reason why you introduced the unnecessary w and u? I'm just concerned we're missing the point of the question here :smile:

thats correct. Well the first part of the question is to determine the values of w and u which I found by solving simultaneously. That bit is the second part
Reply 8
thats correct. Well the first part of the question is to determine the values of w and u which I found by solving simultaneously. That bit is the second part

Can you please post the full question still?
Reply 9

As per james22, can we please see the full question so we know what the purpose behind the question is?
Original post by james22
Can you please post the full question still?

I have attached the question
(edited 9 years ago)
I have attached the question

What are you trying to use polynomial division on this?
Original post by james22
What are you trying to use polynomial division on this?

To find the other root. As 1+i is a root, so is it's conjugate 1-i. As it is a cubic root there is one other root left. So to find it we were taught to use polynomial division to f the last root
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
To find the other root. As 1+i is a root, so is it's conjugate 1-i. As it is a cubic root there is one other root left. So to find it we were taught to use polynomial division to f the last root

Given that you're told in part (a) that the coefficients are real, how have you ended up with an 'i' in your w???

This is why we asked to see the full question :smile:
Original post by davros
Given that you're told in part (a) that the coefficients are real, how have you ended up with an 'i' in your w???

This is why we asked to see the full question :smile:

Thats a fair point! As I got w= -4i-2, does the i just disappear and the answer is -6?
Thats a fair point! As I got w= -4i-2, does the i just disappear and the answer is -6?

No. It means you have gone wrong in your working.
Reply 16

No it means you've got the wrong value for w!

(The point here is that from experience I know that it is highly unusual that you're going to be asked to divide a polynomial with complex terms by another polynomial with real terms. Therefore I felt that your original post had to be 'suspect' in some way :smile: )
Original post by davros
No it means you've got the wrong value for w!

(The point here is that from experience I know that it is highly unusual that you're going to be asked to divide a polynomial with complex terms by another polynomial with real terms. Therefore I felt that your original post had to be 'suspect' in some way :smile: )

I have recalculated and my w(-6) and u(8) satisfy the equation. Hopefully I'm on the right tracks now :biggrin:
Reply 18
I have recalculated and my w(-6) and u(8) satisfy the equation. Hopefully I'm on the right tracks now :biggrin:

Good stuff!!

Quick Reply

Latest