The Student Room Group

Which Uni is best for a MBA? I have 4 options

Im planning to take a MBA program in the UK but have stuck in 4 options. I would like some advice regarding education, student life, accommodation, nightlife, city and networking. These are my options:

- University of Brighton
- University of Birmingham
- University of Surrey
- University of Leicester

If you reccommend me another option I would be grateful.

Regards
Reply 1
From academic & professional development perspective, Birmingham for me. It has some strong areas (Fin& Investment, HRM, Ops), uni works with local businesses. Wider range of electives and some courses are accredited by professional bodies (marketing, HRM). Multiple learning platform with lectures, group projects, case studies, capstone. The campus is large, mix of traditional and modern facilities. B-School is quite modern and attracts fair share of international students. Birmingham is the largest city outside London and Manchester, so plenty nightlife.

There was a cost of living table for students and Birmingham is mid tier, surprisingly not in the most 5 expensive UK cities. It is a Russell Group uni and possibly better known abroad. Are you a home or international student?
Reply 2
Original post by josefalquez
Im planning to take a MBA program in the UK but have stuck in 4 options. I would like some advice regarding education, student life, accommodation, nightlife, city and networking. These are my options:

- University of Brighton
- University of Birmingham
- University of Surrey
- University of Leicester

If you reccommend me another option I would be grateful.

Regards

From that list, Birmingham is probably heads and shoulders ahead of the others, any reason why you chose those four? Look like a weird combination.

And for an MBA, student life, accommodation and night life should not matter at all - you may want to replace student life with student support.
Reply 3
Original post by Tcannon
From academic & professional development perspective, Birmingham for me. It has some strong areas (Fin& Investment, HRM, Ops), uni works with local businesses. Wider range of electives and some courses are accredited by professional bodies (marketing, HRM). Multiple learning platform with lectures, group projects, case studies, capstone. The campus is large, mix of traditional and modern facilities. B-School is quite modern and attracts fair share of international students. Birmingham is the largest city outside London and Manchester, so plenty nightlife.

There was a cost of living table for students and Birmingham is mid tier, surprisingly not in the most 5 expensive UK cities. It is a Russell Group uni and possibly better known abroad. Are you a home or international student?

Thank you for your comments. It has been very helpful
Reply 4
Original post by c2uk
From that list, Birmingham is probably heads and shoulders ahead of the others, any reason why you chose those four? Look like a weird combination.

And for an MBA, student life, accommodation and night life should not matter at all - you may want to replace student life with student support.

First of all thank you for your comment. I appreciate it. The reason why I chose them is because they have a Full-Time MBA Program (1-year), merely affordable (17.000 to 21.000 GBP), program description and info on the cities.

Now, I was leaning towards Brighton because of the course descriptions which includes 2 study visits to EU to a company. Very interesting. I've read that Brighton is a nice town. Facilities are interesting. Its close to London. 11 years ago I spend 4 months in Bournemouth and it was quite an experience. Are they similar?

Birmingham is a big city. More than a million people live there. Crime is an issue which is relative. Havent heard much good things about Birmingham as in the city. The MBA program is basically straight-forward. 12 modules. 12 months + 10.000 word paper. Oh, and the accent? Kinda different isnt it?

Leicester, havent heard much. Havent done any thourough research anyways. Please help.

I would be very thankful if you provide deep info and your comments on my choices. If you have another choice, please comment.

Thanks
Reply 5
I agree with c2uk and I'm sorry, but you're worried about the accent in the city? I suggest you do some "thorough research" as you term it into what should be important criteria for choosing an MBA, and what you can safely ignore. Either that, or do a cheaper degree where it doesn't matter that nightlife and accent were part of your decision criteria :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by josefalquez
First of all thank you for your comment. I appreciate it. The reason why I chose them is because they have a Full-Time MBA Program (1-year), merely affordable (17.000 to 21.000 GBP), program description and info on the cities.

Now, I was leaning towards Brighton because of the course descriptions which includes 2 study visits to EU to a company. Very interesting. I've read that Brighton is a nice town. Facilities are interesting. Its close to London. 11 years ago I spend 4 months in Bournemouth and it was quite an experience. Are they similar?

Birmingham is a big city. More than a million people live there. Crime is an issue which is relative. Havent heard much good things about Birmingham as in the city. The MBA program is basically straight-forward. 12 modules. 12 months + 10.000 word paper. Oh, and the accent? Kinda different isnt it?

Leicester, havent heard much. Havent done any thourough research anyways. Please help.

I would be very thankful if you provide deep info and your comments on my choices. If you have another choice, please comment.

Thanks

Birmingham may have an issue with crime, but it's a campus university, no need to ever leave the campus as far as I know. Once again, from that list, Birmingham just outclasses all other business schools. I've got a friend who did a Finance MBA there a couple of years ago and got into investment banking, well he's set for life now.

Brighton, well, I've got a friend who's a lecturer there at the business school, so I don't want to say anything bad about it, but it really matters where you do your MBA.

If I may throw in another MBA, check out Cardiff, nice city, decent Business School (not quite Birmingham but close I'd say).
Reply 7
Interestingly Brighton is also ranked as a very expensive city for students (top 5). Rent is high. If you check with crime stats, crime (drug, burglary, assault, anti social behaviour) is an issue in Brighton too.
Brighton University is the former polytechnic. The pre-1992 university in Brighton is Sussex University.
Reply 9
Original post by Crumpet1
Brighton University is the former polytechnic. The pre-1992 university in Brighton is Sussex University.

Sussex' MBA is a part-time executive-type MBA. They offer some other master programmes though.
Reply 10
Original post by c2uk
Birmingham may have an issue with crime, but it's a campus university, no need to ever leave the campus as far as I know. Once again, from that list, Birmingham just outclasses all other business schools. I've got a friend who did a Finance MBA there a couple of years ago and got into investment banking, well he's set for life now.

Brighton, well, I've got a friend who's a lecturer there at the business school, so I don't want to say anything bad about it, but it really matters where you do your MBA.

If I may throw in another MBA, check out Cardiff, nice city, decent Business School (not quite Birmingham but close I'd say).

You think Brighton is a bad idea?
Reply 11
Original post by Tcannon

Hi,

Sorry for the tardiness, Im from Ecuador. So you strongly reccommend me among those options, Brimingham? I lean towards that too.

Thanks for you help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending