The Student Room Group

Complex number help

Given b = 0.5(a + pi)

Deduce that e^ia - 1 = (2sin(pi/2))e^b

Can anyone give me some help on getting started.
Original post by Roger The Doger
Given b = 0.5(a + pi)

Hold on, LaTeXing it, because "pi" was very confusing to me (I interpreted it as π\pi, which makes the question trivially nonsense). Answering in a moment. Could you confirm that this is what you mean?

b=12(a+pi)b=\frac{1}{2}(a+p i)
eia1=2sin(pi2)ebe^{i a}-1 = 2 \sin(\frac{p i}{2}) e^b

ETA: If this is indeed what you mean, I'm not at all sure that the question is answerable. As far as I can tell, it's false. Let p=0, a=1 to see why.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smaug123
Hold on, LaTeXing it, because "pi" was very confusing to me (I interpreted it as π\pi, which makes the question trivially nonsense). Answering in a moment. Could you confirm that this is what you mean?

b=12(a+pi)b=\frac{1}{2}(a+p i)
eia1=2sin(pi2)ebe^{i a}-1 = 2 \sin(\frac{p i}{2}) e^b

I'm pretty sure he meant

b=12(a+π)b=\frac{1}{2}(a+\pi)
eia1=2sin(π2)ebe^{i a}-1 = 2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) e^b

I think it's meant to be easy; possibly to break down into the well known eiπe^{i\pi}? Haven't evaluated it but it looks like it's going to break down pretty nicely from a quick glance.
Original post by anunoriginaluser
I'm pretty sure he meant

b=12(a+π)b=\frac{1}{2}(a+\pi)
eia1=2sin(π2)ebe^{i a}-1 = 2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) e^b

I think it's meant to be easy; possibly to break down into the well known eiπe^{i\pi}? Haven't evaluated it but it looks like it's going to break down pretty nicely from a quick glance.

But the left-hand side of your final equation is complex, in general, while the right-hand side is real. (Not to mention that sin(π2)\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) is 1.)
Original post by Smaug123
But the left-hand side of your final equation is complex, in general, while the right-hand side is real. (Not to mention that sin(π2)\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) is 1.)

Ah yeah; I see your point. I'd jumped to trying to sub a into the second equation, hadn't noticed the 'deduce'. That's a pretty odd question :/
Reply 5
Original post by Roger The Doger
Given b = 0.5(a + pi)

Can you either latex the question or give us a screenshot or a picture?

What you've posted doesn't make a lot of sense in its current form!

Quick Reply

Latest