The Student Room Group

Want to know what GCSEs are really like?

I read so many people asking for help or advice regarding certain GCSE subjects, so I thought it would be a good idea to make a forum which is specifically for GCSE pupils who need advice whether it be about a subject, requirements etc. I would have loved a forum like this when I was going through my GCSEs, so hopefully it will be beneficial to some others :smile:

If you are a Year 12/13 student who feels as though they could also offer advice, please post below your stats, GCSE subjects and chosen A Levels so that people can get to know you a little better, and I will add you to the list below! :smile:

Here are mine:
- Currently in Year 12
- 13A*s at GCSE (hopefully 14A*s within the next couple of weeks, just nervously waiting to hear back :/)
- GCSE subjects: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Religious Studies, Sociology, Spanish, a separate Religious Studies GCSE, Latin, Welsh and Classical Civilisation.
- Chosen A Level subjects- Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Language. I have completed Religious Studies AS Level.

Hope to hear from a few of you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a good idea :smile:
Your GCSE grades are amazing! Could you say what you did to revise for each subject? Also, when did you start revising? How many exams did you have and how did you manage revising for all of them and balance revising once exams had started during exam season? I'm taking 12 GCSEs and that's over 30 exams, so I'm a bit worried about how I'll manage it but still get those A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by tryrevise
That's a good idea :smile:
Your GCSE grades are amazing! Could you say what you did to revise for each subject? Also, when did you start revising? How many exams did you have and how did you manage revising for all of them and balance revising once exams had started during exam season? I'm taking 12 GCSEs and that's over 30 exams, so I'm a bit worried about how I'll manage it but still get those A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you very much :smile:
When it came to English, I focused solely on Literature. I re-read the books, made mind maps on characters, learned quotes and spent lots of time analysing poems. I did work towards English Language too by researching extra terms, completing past papers etc., but out of the English subjects I think Literature is more revision-heavy.

A lot of my revision was based around doing endless past papers, mind maps and posters. This certainly works for Science subjects and essay subjects alike :smile: I also made my own revision books, combining my own notes, the class notes and any notes I could find online or in a revision book.

In terms of planning your revision, plan ahead. Please don't put your social life completely on hold as it will not benefit you well at all (I still managed to go out), but start as you mean to go on, as some may say haha :smile: I started proper revision around February, although nothing is stopping you making notes right now! It will get you into good habits for A Level too.

I never thought I'd be able to cope with the stress of GCSEs although I did, and that means you can too :smile: I had 23 exams in the summer and 37 overall, so I understand completely where you're coming from. However, I will say that you get into the 'pattern' of exams- it felt stranger having days in May without exams than having free days haha :smile: It will be all worth it in August, I can assure you!

Hope I have helped you!
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
I read so many people asking for help or advice regarding certain GCSE subjects, so I thought it would be a good idea to make a forum which is specifically for GCSE pupils who need advice whether it be about a subject, requirements etc. I would have loved a forum like this when I was going through my GCSEs, so hopefully it will be beneficial to some others :smile:

If you are a Year 12/13 student who feels as though they could also offer advice, please post below your stats, GCSE subjects and chosen A Levels so that people can get to know you a little better, and I will add you to the list below! :smile:

Here are mine:
- Currently in Year 12
- 13A*s at GCSE (hopefully 14A*s within the next couple of weeks, just nervously waiting to hear back :/)
- GCSE subjects: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Religious Studies, Sociology, Spanish, a separate Religious Studies GCSE, Latin, Welsh and Classical Civilisation.
- Chosen A Level subjects- Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Language. I have completed Religious Studies AS Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats real neat man,
reaaaaaaal neaat.
Aw thank you very much :smile:
When it came to English, I focused solely on Literature. I re-read the books, made mind maps on characters, learned quotes and spent lots of time analysing poems. I did work towards English Language too by researching extra terms, completing past papers etc., but out of the English subjects I think Literature is more revision-heavy.

A lot of my revision was based around doing endless past papers, mind maps and posters. This certainly works for Science subjects and essay subjects alike :smile: I also made my own revision books, combining my own notes, the class notes and any notes I could find online or in a revision book.

In terms of planning your revision, plan ahead. Please don't put your social life completely on hold as it will not benefit you well at all (I still managed to go out), but start as you mean to go on, as some may say haha :smile: I started proper revision around February, although nothing is stopping you making notes right now! It will get you into good habits for A Level too.

I never thought I'd be able to cope with the stress of GCSEs although I did, and that means you can too :smile: I had 23 exams in the summer and 37 overall, so I understand completely where you're coming from. However, I will say that you get into the 'pattern' of exams- it felt stranger having days in May without exams than having free days haha :smile: It will be all worth it in August, I can assure you!

Hope I have helped you!
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! And yeah you might hear from me again soon enough :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Here are mine:
- Currently in Year 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow those are some amazing grades!:smile::smile:
I have only just started my gcses but am determined to do well and prepared to work for it and I suppose that is all I can do.
do you have any ideas about what you want to do at uni? Your a levels are very similar to what I want to do!

Quick Reply

Latest