The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snagprophet
Wasn't all that interesting. Even though I saw the cybermen in the thumbnail (great job BBC) it was a surprise to see that logo of their eye thing appear when they closed the door. Then it ruined the moment by putting the Russell T Davis cyberman music in.

Also, unless they're lying about people being concious while dead, that concept makes no sense. People feel pain because of their nervous system. If their nerves have rotted, decomposed or disconnected due to the body being dead, then how does someone feel pain? Also how are the people in the matrix thing able to maintain a connection to their bodies? I know Doctor Who uses fictional and/or questionable concepts and actions but this just sounds incredibly retarded.

Oh and it's in London present day at the end as well. Wow. And no-one cares about anything. I liked how she was just sat on the floor and he didn't do anything. You could try subduing her or something?

This felt so ... lame. It was hilarious how it finished with just six cybermen walking and no-one of the public cared at all. I knew that secondary 'twist' was coming and I was so disappointed I was hoping they'd either use an actual Time Lady or do something new which could add to the whole Galifrey story, but when she revealed her identity, so disappointing.

I really dislike the idea that people can change genders when regenerating because it's never happened in Doctor Who other than for satirical purposes in that Rowan Atkinson comic relief show. If they have as much change of changing gender, or race if someone wants to randomly force that on the scenario in the future, then explain why the Doctor has stayed male and white the entire show. My interpretation is that he can only stay the one race and the one gender his whole life. Please don't **** about with that.

There wasn't a lot of weight to her anyway, I found her to be a lame 'villain' and seeing her before at the end of all those other episodes they threw her in so they can technically call this a 'series arch', she came across as just some random contrived villain who espouses quirky dialogue like 'lol you're in heaven now'. There wasn't a sense of mysteriousness about it, more like 'ok Steven Moffat just get it over with'. I never once cared about those random scenes they threw in, usually I'd care about what certain things mean.

I feel my brain became stupid enough to not warrant emotions just by watching this.

The Cybermen just strolling out and the public not blinking an eye was just insane. It gets worse. There are pictures of the next episode online and on one of them members of the public are taking selfies with Cybermen!!
Wasn't all that interesting. Even though I saw the cybermen in the thumbnail (great job BBC) it was a surprise to see that logo of their eye thing appear when they closed the door. Then it ruined the moment by putting the Russell T Davis cyberman music in.

Also, unless they're lying about people being concious while dead, that concept makes no sense. People feel pain because of their nervous system. If their nerves have rotted, decomposed or disconnected due to the body being dead, then how does someone feel pain? Also how are the people in the matrix thing able to maintain a connection to their bodies? I know Doctor Who uses fictional and/or questionable concepts and actions but this just sounds incredibly retarded.

Oh and it's in London present day at the end as well. Wow. And no-one cares about anything. I liked how she was just sat on the floor and he didn't do anything. You could try subduing her or something?

This felt so ... lame. It was hilarious how it finished with just six cybermen walking and no-one of the public cared at all. I knew that secondary 'twist' was coming and I was so disappointed I was hoping they'd either use an actual Time Lady or do something new which could add to the whole Galifrey story, but when she revealed her identity, so disappointing.

I really dislike the idea that people can change genders when regenerating because it's never happened in Doctor Who other than for satirical purposes in that Rowan Atkinson comic relief show. If they have as much change of changing gender, or race if someone wants to randomly force that on the scenario in the future, then explain why the Doctor has stayed male and white the entire show. My interpretation is that he can only stay the one race and the one gender his whole life. Please don't **** about with that.

There wasn't a lot of weight to her anyway, I found her to be a lame 'villain' and seeing her before at the end of all those other episodes they threw her in so they can technically call this a 'series arch', she came across as just some random contrived villain who espouses quirky dialogue like 'lol you're in heaven now'. There wasn't a sense of mysteriousness about it, more like 'ok Steven Moffat just get it over with'. I never once cared about those random scenes they threw in, usually I'd care about what certain things mean.

I feel my brain became stupid enough to not warrant emotions just by watching this.

That's not even what anyone is complaining about. They clearly stated that changing from a man to a woman is retarded because the Doctor has been so consistently white and male throughout the show, and so has the Master. And even if he wanted a sex change like real life human transgendered people, neither character would wait 900 years or whatever to get that procedure done just to feel like they're in the right body.

Quantum Entanglement look it up its improbable but quantum entanglement can cause two particles to experience the same thing due to a quantum connection, after the mind has been connected up to the body for so long it is plausible but improbable that they could be quantum entangled and thus the person's mind would be able to feel the pain in the person's body the nerves are still intact but disconnected physically but not necessarily quantumly from the mind, perhaps the nerves could be destroyed so that cremation wouldn't hurt if the mind remained conscious and connected to the body.This is all extremely mad Physics but its Doctor Who and what the show is about.
Original post by somemightsay888
The Cybermen just strolling out and the public not blinking an eye was just insane. It gets worse. There are pictures of the next episode online *snip*

That's a spoiler. PLEASE put it in spoiler tags. It may be only a small plot point but the policy in this thread is pretty freaking clear.
Original post by Feefifofum
That's a spoiler. PLEASE put it in spoiler tags. It may be only a small plot point but the policy in this thread is pretty freaking clear.

Yeah I don't think the bit you snipped is part of the narrative, just literally people meeting the cast and taking selfies during the film shoot. At least I hope so, because that would be a bloody awful episode if it involved taking selfies with cybermen.
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought that was absolutely awesome, one of my favourite episodes or Doctor Who since the reboot! Luckily I completely forgot about the cybermen so their big reveal was not lost on me. And I spent the whole episode trying to work out whether Missy was Jenny or River, delighted that I was way-off. Congrats to anyone who worked it out.

Danny is a rubbish character and is acted poorly, and I must say I was a bit pleased when he died. Worked well with Clara too, I think this was her strongest episode of the season. The volcano scene was as intense as anything in Who and I'm almost disappointed they used it as a dream-sequence as opposed to a clash between the two of them to end a series. I'd like to see the companion turning into nemesis dynamic explored with Clara's successor, whenever that might be.

Lastly, Capaldi was fantastic. He was fierce, funny and he was the Doctor - the way he didn't let Clara's betrayal in the dream get to him puts to bet the 'am I a good man?' question.

Something tells me next week is going to be a let down, but for me this is the first 10/10 episode since The Waters of Mars.

Spoiler

The public have no idea what the cybermen are, they obviously think they're harmless. And if this happened in real life, people would start taking selfies.
Original post by tomtjl
The public have no idea what the cybermen are, they obviously think they're harmless. And if this happened in real life, people would start taking selfies.

I don't think they would. I don't think people would run away but taking selfies with em? nah.
That's not even what anyone is complaining about. They clearly stated that changing from a man to a woman is retarded because the Doctor has been so consistently white and male throughout the show, and so has the Master. And even if he wanted a sex change like real life human transgendered people, neither character would wait 900 years or whatever to get that procedure done just to feel like they're in the right body.

well for a kick off, "retarded" is ableist language so please don't use it. for another they've hinted that time lords can change gender before so I don't see the big deal, it's regeneration as a concept as well, no reason they would HAVE to always be the same gender/ethnicity/etc. well that's not necessarily true either, some transgender people do wait a long time before transitioning, so really the only reason to get upset about this that I can see of is some kind of insecurities of your own about the idea of a female master, which is just sad really on the part of those that have it imho.
I don't think they would. I don't think people would run away but taking selfies with em? nah.

Most people wouldn't, but I reckon there's a hell of a lot of teenagers who would :wink:.
Original post by tomtjl
Most people wouldn't, but I reckon there's a hell of a lot of teenagers who would :wink:.

I don't think so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
well for a kick off, "retarded" is ableist language so please don't use it.

It means regressive, how is it 'ableist', if that's the new ism of the day?

for another they've hinted that time lords can change gender before so I don't see the big deal, it's regeneration as a concept as well, no reason they would HAVE to always be the same gender/ethnicity/etc.

Except there's no reason why it's never happened to the Doctor. We've not been shown an example of this ever in the series, nor anything like 'oh there's like a small change you swap race/gender for a regeneration'.

It's no accident they've all been white and male, outside the fact that the show is British but in the context of the narrative there'd be more races than was portrayed to appeal to the majority of the population. They can't just say 'Time Lord can always swap gender' when it's never been the case with the Doctor. If you pick 12 humans at random they aren't going to be the same race or gender this is supposedly is how the regeneration face is chosen; at random.

well that's not necessarily true either, some transgender people do wait a long time before transitioning, so really the only reason to get upset about this that I can see of is some kind of insecurities of your own about the idea of a female master, which is just sad really on the part of those that have it imho.

It's not an insecurity, it's a blatant disregard for continuity. If people can swap race or gender, then we would've seen that in the show with a fair-ish distribution of race and genders of each Doctor, or at least not see it so concentrated on white male versions, and we haven't. It's people making stuff up that makes no sense.
Original post by tomtjl

The thing is, how heavy are they? How strong? Would they push someone over? Will they wait for loads of people to start taking pictures before acting like Doctor Who villains? Would they come across as guys in plastic suits if cybermen actually existed? Would everyone get put off by those hydraulic sounds when they step?

Again, it sounds like an awful idea for an episode to have people posing with Doctor Who villains in the context of the narrative.
The thing is, how heavy are they? How strong? Would they push someone over? Will they wait for loads of people to start taking pictures before acting like Doctor Who villains? Would they come across as guys in plastic suits if cybermen actually existed? Would everyone get put off by those hydraulic sounds when they step?

Again, it sounds like an awful idea for an episode to have people posing with Doctor Who villains in the context of the narrative.

Oh it's definitely an awful idea to have them trying to take selfies, I was just saying that it would definitely happen irl. Before they started killing everyone, anyway.
Just started watching doctor who a few weeks ago, so as you can imagine I am very confused about who's who (no pun intended).

I like the scottish guy though.

Totally agree. I wouldn't put it past them next series to have people invite Daleks over for a game of FIFA or something, just to further trivialise the major villains

whatever it means, it's used as a slur against the disabled or those with mental health issues/learning difficulties and is very offensive.

Except there's no reason why it's never happened to the Doctor. We've not been shown an example of this ever in the series, nor anything like 'oh there's like a small change you swap race/gender for a regeneration'.

so? there's never been anything to exclude it as a possibility either...

It's no accident they've all been white and male, outside the fact that the show is British but in the context of the narrative there'd be more races than was portrayed to appeal to the majority of the population. They can't just say 'Time Lord can always swap gender' when it's never been the case with the Doctor. If you pick 12 humans at random they aren't going to be the same race or gender this is supposedly is how the regeneration face is chosen; at random.

Britain is an incredibly diverse country actually, no reason shows here can't have non white or non male lead protagonists/antagonists, many shows here do in fact. well you can have time lords predisposed to a certain "look" I guess but you can have exceptions to that within a show without issue imo. it's never been stated that the doctor/master/time lords can't change race or gender so it's just a rarity not an impossibility.

It's not an insecurity, it's a blatant disregard for continuity. If people can swap race or gender, then we would've seen that in the show with a fair-ish distribution of race and genders of each Doctor, or at least not see it so concentrated on white male versions, and we haven't. It's people making stuff up that makes no sense.

what disregard for continuity? like I said it's never been said the doctor/master/time lords CAN'T change gender/race. not necessarily, time lords are probably pre-disposed to a certain appearance but can obviously deviate from that to an extent, hardly a reach at all within the show imo. well most of it's "made up" it's about an alien with two hearts who travels in time & space :tongue:

my advice? get over yourself/it.
Totally agree. I wouldn't put it past them next series to have people invite Daleks over for a game of FIFA or something, just to further trivialise the major villains

It's strange because then it would actually become more satirical than the comic relief programme with Rowan Atkinson.

"Hey you know that programme that was supposed to be scary? How about we make it look pathetic?" And then they combine it with some weird notion that when you die you feel whatever happens to your body, assuming that's simply just the villain messing around with whatever his scheme was and intercepting souls/memories. I mean for goodness sake, show, pick a tone. Are you funny? Or are you creepy and chilling?

Maybe I should write a sitcom set in a deathcamp which tries to be serious half the time.

Original post by tomtjl
Oh it's definitely an awful idea to have them trying to take selfies, I was just saying that it would definitely happen irl. Before they started killing everyone, anyway.

Hmm. I'm just trying to compare it to a realistic situation and the closest I can think of would be some kind of robot that walks with a laser cannon. I mean, there's amazing robots that exist today like that donkey one which can get kicked by people and it refuses to fall over it's so well balanced. This is also a universe where people don't watch Doctor Who, as well, so therefore attitudes might be different.

I certain don't expect them to know what Cybermen are however, it's just them walking down the street looked like the outside of comic con more than a science fiction programme.

You're probably right though, but it feels just so wrong. It's like having a birthday party, complete with bouncy castle, in Auschwitz during the late 30s and early 40s. I guess it's down to the idea that one writer at the BBC could've potentially said "I know, let's have people take selfies with the cybermen, because that's quirky and selfies are the current hip thing which will date this" and it getting the green light.
whatever it means, it's used as a slur against the disabled or those with mental health issues/learning difficulties and is very offensive.

Am I using it as a slur? Who am I aiming it at?

so? there's never been anything to exclude it as a possibility either...

"Quite possibly we've written something into the series which should technically have occurred before but is only happening now because we're writing it into the series now"

Britain is an incredibly diverse country actually, no reason shows here can't have non white or non male lead protagonists/antagonists, many shows here do in fact. well you can have time lords predisposed to a certain "look" I guess but you can have exceptions to that within a show without issue imo. it's never been stated that the doctor/master/time lords can't change race or gender so it's just a rarity not an impossibility.

And I never said anything which indicates otherwise. It also never indicates whether it's a rarity or not.

what disregard for continuity? like I said it's never been said the doctor/master/time lords CAN'T change gender/race. not necessarily, time lords are probably pre-disposed to a certain appearance but can obviously deviate from that to an extent, hardly a reach at all within the show imo. well most of it's "made up" it's about an alien with two hearts who travels in time & space :tongue:

Funnily enough it is possible to jump the shark in fiction. Disregard for continuity? That Time Lords can change gender. It's a rarity? Well then the writers should state this. They can't just throw a completely new concept upon us as a twist, expect it to have any emotional value and expect us to take it seriously.

Regeneration isn't random I think that was heavily hinted at in Deep Breath(with The Doctor questioning and in The War Games The Timelords give The Doctor a choice of faces and both Romana and River Song appeared as though they had some control over regeneration as emphasised by River Song implying She was trying to get the right dress size.The fact that The Doctor has been a white male through all his regenerations must indicate that there is a much lower probability of a timelord changing gender or race which doesn't seem unrealistic.Even so you could pick 12 humans with the same gender and race especially if you were picking from a certain selection eg.visitors to a male toilet in segregated parts of Britain- out of all the possible faces that The Doctor could have virtually all of them may be white and male which is what I am trying to point out you don't know the sampling frame of possible faces.
Reply 4179
Am I using it as a slur? Who am I aiming it at?

Point is that you use it in the same way that people have used gay - if it is sometimes used to refer to a group of people in a derogatory way, the same rule applies to using it at any time. It's been that way for a while.

"Quite possibly we've written something into the series which should technically have occurred before but is only happening now because we're writing it into the series now"

And I never said anything which indicates otherwise. It also never indicates whether it's a rarity or not.

Funnily enough it is possible to jump the shark in fiction. Disregard for continuity? That Time Lords can change gender. It's a rarity? Well then the writers should state this. They can't just throw a completely new concept upon us as a twist, expect it to have any emotional value and expect us to take it seriously.

Go back and watch "the doctor's wife". We are clearly told (albeit as a throwaway comment) that the Corsair used to change gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending