The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi can someone please explain qn 36 from 2010
Hi! I am new to the student room so apologies if I am posting this the wrong way. I would appreciate any feedback on my following TSA essay attempt. Please excuse any typos , I typed it in a hurry! Handwritten in 23ish mins, excluding planning. Thanks!

​Do countries benefit from immigration?
Immigration is the action of coming to live permanently in a foreign country. People may migrate to a country fro a variety of reason. Some may be economic migrants, others for education, to b with family, or they may be refugees, for example. The reasons for an individual's migration may affect whether or not they will have a positive impact on their receiving county.

The majority of immigrants to an MEDC such as the UK are likely to be economic migrants, and are therefore likely to benefit the country. This may be directly by paying taxes, helping to raise government revenues and improving services for all. Economic benefits may also be indirect, such as by spending their earning in local shops, business can expand by increased profits, which may in turn provide more jobs. Most economic migrants are young and of working age, and are sometimes known to be more likely to the '3D' jobs that nationals are 'unwilling' to do: dirty, dangerous and demeaning. The migrants can also fill skills gaps, such as the recent recruitment by the NHS of foreign nurses in order to fill a shortage in staff.

However, there may be cases where immigrants arrive with no intention of working or contributing to society. They may be seen to be 'abusing' the country's welfare system, and in the UK, 'taking advantage' of the free education and healthcare systems.

Some working migrants may send their earned money back to their home country as remittances. By doing this the money is not being inserted back into the country's circular flow of income, and the country may see a net output of money. However, this is would only happen where extremely high amounts of money are being sent out of the country.

In some cases, universities can benefit from the increased fees paid by foreign students. These increased revenues can then be used to improve the university and education for all its students, not just the individual, brining more long-term benefits that come with improved education. However, the country teaching the student may lose out on this and not benefit from the future tax-paying citizen that it educated, as the student may return to work in their home country with their degree.

The increasing rates of immigration may see a rise in the prevalence of extremist nationalist parties. This, along with an increase in multi-cultural communities, can lead to racism and social tension within communities, which can have negative social impacts.

On the other hand, a multi-cultural community can be beneficial to society. It increases awareness and educates people about different religions and cultures. This increased social awareness teaches people to be more open-minded and may influence the public's political opinions.

Immigration can bring many economic, social and political benefits to a country. However, in some cases, a large number of immigrants can put a strain on the country's services and welfare systems. Immigration can be wholly beneficial for a country as long as appropriate government policies are in place, making sure that the benefits can be received my all.
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi can someone please explain qn 36 from 2010

The first 20km is on country roads at 90km/h. It is 6 litres/100km, so to find out how much consumption it is for 20km you do (20/100)x6 which equals 1.2 litres.

The next 40km is on motorway at 110km/h. It is 6.5 litres/100km, so to find out how much consumption it is for 40km you do (40/100)x6.5 which equals 2.6 litres.

The final 20km is in town at 50km/h. It is 7.5 litres/100km, so to find out how much consumption it is for 20km you do (20/100)x7.5 which equals 1.5 litres.

So altogether, Ted used 1.2+2.6+1.5 = 5.3 litres of fuel. The fuel costs 80c per litre. So you do 5.3x0.8 = $4.24.

The answer is B, $4.24.
This test is honestly ****ing with my life. Cannot wait for it to be over.
Reply 484
Original post by georgie_23
Hi! I am new to the student room so apologies if I am posting this the wrong way. I would appreciate any feedback on my following TSA essay attempt. Please excuse any typos , I typed it in a hurry! Handwritten in 23ish mins, excluding planning. Thanks!

​Do countries benefit from immigration?
Immigration is the action of coming to live permanently in a foreign country. People may migrate to a country fro a variety of reason. Some may be economic migrants, others for education, to b with family, or they may be refugees, for example. The reasons for an individual's migration may affect whether or not they will have a positive impact on their receiving county.

The majority of immigrants to an MEDC such as the UK are likely to be economic migrants, and are therefore likely to benefit the country. This may be directly by paying taxes, helping to raise government revenues and improving services for all. Economic benefits may also be indirect, such as by spending their earning in local shops, business can expand by increased profits, which may in turn provide more jobs. Most economic migrants are young and of working age, and are sometimes known to be more likely to the '3D' jobs that nationals are 'unwilling' to do: dirty, dangerous and demeaning. The migrants can also fill skills gaps, such as the recent recruitment by the NHS of foreign nurses in order to fill a shortage in staff.

However, there may be cases where immigrants arrive with no intention of working or contributing to society. They may be seen to be 'abusing' the country's welfare system, and in the UK, 'taking advantage' of the free education and healthcare systems.

Some working migrants may send their earned money back to their home country as remittances. By doing this the money is not being inserted back into the country's circular flow of income, and the country may see a net output of money. However, this is would only happen where extremely high amounts of money are being sent out of the country.

In some cases, universities can benefit from the increased fees paid by foreign students. These increased revenues can then be used to improve the university and education for all its students, not just the individual, brining more long-term benefits that come with improved education. However, the country teaching the student may lose out on this and not benefit from the future tax-paying citizen that it educated, as the student may return to work in their home country with their degree.

The increasing rates of immigration may see a rise in the prevalence of extremist nationalist parties. This, along with an increase in multi-cultural communities, can lead to racism and social tension within communities, which can have negative social impacts.

On the other hand, a multi-cultural community can be beneficial to society. It increases awareness and educates people about different religions and cultures. This increased social awareness teaches people to be more open-minded and may influence the public's political opinions.

Immigration can bring many economic, social and political benefits to a country. However, in some cases, a large number of immigrants can put a strain on the country's services and welfare systems. Immigration can be wholly beneficial for a country as long as appropriate government policies are in place, making sure that the benefits can be received my all.

I think you have done a very good job indeed! Lots of evidence of knowledge, good use of terminology and very balanced. It must have taken you more than half an hour? In terms of constructive criticism, I can't help but feel it reads too much like a factual account. Perhaps try to take a more original line of argument? Don't be afraid to use rhetoric and subtle humor. Be controversial and make yourself stand out. This is not an A level essay where regurgitating information will get you 15/15 or what have you. This is about the quality of your argument, the way you present your ideas. Maybe try use more historical context, philosophical reasoning and refer to theories. There's room for improvement but I wouldn't worry too much, very well done.
Reply 485
Original post by logolept
this test is honestly ****ing with my life. Cannot wait for it to be over.

preach it
Original post by kimiaak
I think you have done a very good job indeed! Lots of evidence of knowledge, good use of terminology and very balanced. It must have taken you more than half an hour? In terms of constructive criticism, I can't help but feel it reads too much like a factual account. Perhaps try to take a more original line of argument? Don't be afraid to use rhetoric and subtle humor. Be controversial and make yourself stand out. This is not an A level essay where regurgitating information will get you 15/15 or what have you. This is about the quality of your argument, the way you present your ideas. Maybe try use more historical context, philosophical reasoning and refer to theories. There's room for improvement but I wouldn't worry too much, very well done.

Thats exactly what i thought. Your essay is very factual, but there is no personal note or an idea that no one has ever thought of before. Not that it is necessary, but I am quite certain they would love to read something unconventional, rather than a repetition of overused arguments and points.

Otherwise you could maybe work on your paragraphing, but other than that it is a very well balanced essay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ernstol
Thats exactly what i thought. Your essay is very factual, but there is no personal note or an idea that no one has ever thought of before. Not that it is necessary, but I am quite certain they would love to read something unconventional, rather than a repetition of overused arguments and points.

Otherwise you could maybe work on your paragraphing, but other than that it is a very well balanced essay.

Original post by kimiaak

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! In a bit of a mad rush to practise these as I decided late on to apply, but I hope there will be a question like this and that they're not all philosophical!
Can someone please explain qn 42, 44 and 50 from 2008 please?
Original post by georgie_23
Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it! In a bit of a mad rush to practise these as I decided late on to apply, but I hope there will be a question like this and that they're not all philosophical!

they're always pretty balanced, you'll be fine
Could somebody please explain Q38 and Q42 from the 2012 paper????
Can anyone explain q42, 48, 49 and 50 from 2009??
Original post by Teddysmith123
Can someone please explain qn 42, 44 and 50 from 2008 please?

Q42.

For the 24c postages, the minimum number of stamps will be 4 x 6c, because 4x6=24.

For the 30c postages, the minimum number of stamps will be 1 x 30c, because 1x30=30.

For the 72c postages, the minimum number of stamps will be 2 x 30c and 2 x 6c, because (2x30)+(2x6)=72.

So altogether we have 6x6c for every 3x30c.

This can be simplified to 2x6c for every 1x30c.

The answer is C, 2 x 6c for every 1 x 30c.

Q44.

There are two pieces of carpet, one has an area of 4x4 and the other has an area of 4x6.

If you join the two pieces, it will now have an area of 4x10.

A, B, C, and D all have both width and length >4m.

This means the answer must be E, because the width is 4, and the height is 9m, so the joined carpets with 4x10 area will be big enough.

The answer is E.

Q50.

From Vinod's point of view, the left side of the shape is 2 boxes high, the middle is 4 boxes high, and the right side is 3 boxes high.

Because there is only one box on the right side of Vinod's point of view, Sarah must also be able to see this stack of boxes, however from her point of view it will be in the middle.

Vinod saw that this stack of boxes was 3 boxes high. Therefore, the middle stack of boxes from Sarah's point of view must be at least 3 boxes high.

For A, B, C, and E the middle stack is 3 or more boxes high, but D is only 2 boxes high.

The answer is D.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrBowcat
Could somebody please explain Q38 and Q42 from the 2012 paper????

Q38.

(This is a weird question, my explanation might not be amazing.)Basically you need to work out the minimum area of carpet you will need to cover both the office and the entrance lobby in 2 pieces.

The largest side is 4.2metres, so one of the dimensions of the offcut will have to be at least 4.2metres.

For the other dimension of the offcut, you could use the width of both the lobby and the office, which would be 2.2metres+2.6metres = 4.8 metres. But this would be wasteful because there would be lots of spare carpet.

To do it more efficiently and waste less carpet, you can instead use the length of the lobby, 1.8metres, and add this to the width of the office, 2.6metres. Which will equal 4.4metres.

So the offcut piece will have an area of 4.4x4.2

The answer is C, 4.2 x 4.4m.

Q42.

The minute hand travels three times faster for the first half of a full turn as it does for the second half. This means that it must take 15 minutes for the first half of a turn, and 45 minutes for the second half, because 15 minutes is 3 times as fast as 45 minutes.

So for the second half of the rotation of the minute hand, from the number 6 to the number 12 on the clock, it will take 45 minutes. 45/2 = 22.5 minutes. So, by the time this rotation is half way done (when the clock shows quarter to the hour) it will actually be 22.5 minutes to the hour.

The answer is D, 22.5 minutes to the hour.
Reply 494
Original post by anonwinner
Q19:

From the table you can see that, out of 100% of men, 11% eat 6g or less of salt per day. 100-11=89, so 89% of men eat above the recommended 6g of salt per day.

Out of 100% of women, 30% eat 6g or less of salt per day. 100-30=70, so 70% of women eat above the recommended 6g of salt per day.

We are to assume equal numbers of men and women in the population, so we just need to find the average of 89% and 70%. So you do (89+70)/2 which equals 79.5%. To the nearest 1% this is 80%.

So the answer is D, 80%.

Q30:

The first instructions ask for a ratio of 1:15 Greatgrass to water. This means that 1/16 of the 12 litres of diluted liquid will be Greatgrass. So you do 12,000ml/16 which equals 750ml.

Three hours later they need to use a ratio of 1:24 Greatgrass to water. This means that 1/16 of the 12 litres of diluted liquid will be Greatgrass. So you do 12,000ml/16 which equals 480ml.

750ml + 480ml = 1230ml.

So the answer is B, 1230ml.

Q31.

There are 200 pupils because 90+25+25+60=200. 90 people got who got Grades A-C in their mock exams also got Grades A-C in their GCSE exams. 60 people who got other grades in their mock exams also got other grades in their GCSE exams. 90+60=150. 150/200 = 0.75.

So the answer is E, 75.0%.

Q42.

The minute hand travels three times faster for the first half of a full turn as it does for the second half. This means that it must take 15 minutes for the first half of a turn, and 45 minutes for the second half, because 15 minutes is 3 times as fast as 45 minutes.

So for the second half of the rotation of the minute hand, from the number 6 to the number 12 on the clock, it will take 45 minutes. 45/2 = 22.5 minutes. So, by the time this rotation is half way done (when the clock shows quarter to the hour) it will actually be 22.5 minutes to the hour.

So the answer is D, 22.5 minutes to the hour.

I hope none of this was too confusing, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

This was really helpful and appreciated! Thank you very much, explained perfectly :smile:
Original post by hoollsss
Can anyone explain q42, 48, 49 and 50 from 2009??

Q42.
I would start by finding how many multiples of 3 there are from 1-49. To do this just do 49/3 which is 16.3 recurring, so there are 16 multiples of 3.

Then find the numbers that end in 3 that aren't multiples of 3. So 13, 23, and 43. Then find the numbers that end in 6 that aren't multiples of 3, so 16, 26, 46. Then find the numbers that end in 9 that aren't multiples of 3, so 19, 29, and 49.

Finally, find the numbers that start in 3, that aren't multiples of 3, and don't end in 3, 6, or 9. These numbers are 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 38. As we are only looking for numbers in the 1-49 range, we don't need to find the numbers that start with a 6 or a 9.

Altogether there are 31 numbers.

The answer is E, 31.

Don't have time at the moment to do the others sorry
Original post by rmisra
Hi

I'm having trouble with question 48 on the 2010 paper.

The question is-

48 The ferry from Harport to Selmer is at sea for 1 hour 15 minutes and at its berth at either
end for 30 minutes. The hovercraft service between the same ports takes only 45 minutes
and is berthed for 15 minutes before returning.
If both leave Harport at 08:00 what is the next time they will both be at the same port
together?
A 09:45
B 12:45
C 14:45
D 15:00
E 18:00

Could someone please explain the method to me?

Appreciate any help given :smile:

It might not be the most efficient way but I just looked at how long it had been and worked out where they would've got to. So After 105 minutes at 9:45 the ferry would be just leaving Selmer whereas the hovercraft would be arriving at Harport.
At 12:45 after 285 minutes the ferry would be at Selmer ( there taking 75 minutes, waiting 30 minutes, coming back for 75 minutes, waiting for 30 minutes, going again for 75 minutes) and the hovercraft would also be at Selmer ( there taking 45 minutes, waiting for 15, back taking 45, waiting 15, there taking 45, waiting 15, back taking 45, waiting 15 then finally back again in 45 minutes ). So B is the answer as they'd both be at Selmer.

The only problem with this method is that you'd waste time if the answer was say D or E.
Anyway, hope this helped.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any idea of the difference in difficulty of Problem Solving questions between CIE Thinking Skills and the TSA? I am an international applicant so I am a bit unaware of this. The Critical thinking section seems the same level of difficulty in both CIE and TSA.
Can somebody please explain questions 31, 38, 43 and 49 of the 2008 paper?
Thanks
Ok, did it myself. Concerning question 49, is it May because we add the price for electricity and coals? Or is it the case that we have to devide the prices paid in one moth through the month before to get the price per month?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending