The Student Room Group

Why do people shout down the phone?

So you are casually strolling and hear someone shouting down the phone like they are hard of hearing like WTF move the phone down a bit or try calling again rather than deafen everyone ffs.

Or when you are in the same room as someone whose on the phone and they are shouting.

Am I the only one this bugs?

* not arguing just having normal conversation.
Reply 1
its like when people kick rocks to vent anger

they're just expressing themselves
Because I want everyone to hear that I'm on the phone and have people that want to talk to me.

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by Precious Illusions
Because I want everyone to hear that I'm on the phone and have people that want to talk to me.

Spoiler

It really is like tone it down, no one cares about it lol.
I try to speak quietly on the phone because I don't want anyone to look at me :blush:
Reply 5
Original post by Maid Marian
I try to speak quietly on the phone because I don't want anyone to look at me :blush:

Likewise, there is no need for it.
I rarely speak on phone but if I do, I never shout because neither me or the recipient are deaf. I hate when people talk in public so loud that even with earphones in, still could hear them shouting :facepalm:
Some may do it because they're from countries with poor reception, I remember once we had some african people stay with us, and a few times they had phone calls on their mobiles and shouted so loud, because back home it was the only way to ensure you were being heard properly :lol:

If they're european-born though, they're probably just stupid
I love shouting on the phone, it's literally the funniest thing ever for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe the person on the other end keeps saying "I can't hear you". I know if I shouted that would be why. Actually I'd sooner tell them I'll phone them back.

Or do you mean those people who are having a smooth conversation that isn't being interrupted by bad reception, and just want the entire street/bus to hear? They're just attention seekers, they get off on you looking at them. Well, that's what I guess because I would think it would be embarrassing to have strangers hear your phone conversation.
My theory - the speaker in a mobile phone is less powerful than the speaker in a wired in landline phone (to save battery on the mobile) and because they're only getting quiet sounds going into their ear the users they think they have to yell.

seems to be less of a problem as people have got more used to mobiles too, when they first came out everyone used to yell.
Reply 11
Original post by lou 22
So you are casually strolling and hear someone shouting down the phone like they are hard of hearing like WTF move the phone down a bit or try calling again rather than deafen everyone ffs.

Or when you are in the same room as someone whose on the phone and they are shouting.

Am I the only one this bugs?

* not arguing just having normal conversation.

Asians do this a lot. I know because am asian before anyone says am racist.

Quick Reply