The Student Room Group

How can I prepare for Graduate Medicine? (Biomedical Scientist)

Hi everyone I want to study Medicine and become a Doctor but dont have the grades so I can not apply directly.
I have pretty bog standard grades due to personal circumstances, C's in everything at GCSE and I did an Access to science course.

I am currently in my first year of Biomedical Science.

I want to have the best possible chances in being able to apply and stand out among other applicants as I understand the process is quite intense.
So is there anybody that can advise me on how to start preparing?
Also is studying abroad an option?

Thank You :smile:
Original post by rumiscave
Hi everyone I want to study Medicine and become a Doctor but dont have the grades so I can not apply directly.
I have pretty bog standard grades due to personal circumstances, C's in everything at GCSE and I did an Access to science course.

I am currently in my first year of Biomedical Science.

In the first year of biomed I would say the best preparation you can do is to learn the ropes as far as university learning goes and try to finish the year with a 2:1 minimum. It's far too early to be worrying about UKCAT/GAMSAT prep or even where you're going to apply.

If you're really keen, perhaps start volunteering at a hospital or hospice...but aside from that, first year is about settling in and having a good time at uni.

I want to have the best possible chances in being able to apply and stand out among other applicants as I understand the process is quite intense.
So is there anybody that can advise me on how to start preparing?
Also is studying abroad an option?

Thank You :smile:

Studying abroad is an option if you can pay the fees. Also, with the exception of the Republic of Ireland, I don't know of any other European countries which offer four year graduate entry degrees like we have in the UK - so you might end up studying for another six years.
Reply 2
I echo the above.

As a first year in Biomedical Sciences. Enjoy yourself as you will have a fair bit of spare time and make sure you finish the year with at least a 2:1. Contribute in lectures, talk to your tutor and take advantage of any opportunities such as research placements that your faculty may advertise. As I understand, research placements although not strictly part of the curriculum of a medical degree, is looked favourably upon as a form of 'research experience,' when it will come down to your UCAS form.

In terms of medicine abroad, that is an option again if you can pay the fees but then again you will have to end up paying some of your medical degree if you enter as a graduate. But in terms of being successful and getting into Medicine, try and grab some experience in a hospital environment or hospice or shadowing in some form.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
In the first year of biomed I would say the best preparation you can do is to learn the ropes as far as university learning goes and try to finish the year with a 2:1 minimum. It's far too early to be worrying about UKCAT/GAMSAT prep or even where you're going to apply.

If you're really keen, perhaps start volunteering at a hospital or hospice...but aside from that, first year is about settling in and having a good time at uni.

Studying abroad is an option if you can pay the fees. Also, with the exception of the Republic of Ireland, I don't know of any other European countries which offer four year graduate entry degrees like we have in the UK - so you might end up studying for another six years.

My university offers a work placement for a year between years 2 and 3, which enables a person to get a job straight after the degree, do you think this will look good even though it is in a lab?
Original post by rumiscave
My university offers a work placement for a year between years 2 and 3, which enables a person to get a job straight after the degree, do you think this will look good even though it is in a lab?

Wouldn't make a difference in terms of getting into med school.

If you're sure you want to do medicine after your degree, personally I wouldn't waste time with a placement year. Just finish biomed and go for medicine.
Reply 5
Also are you guys Medial students? would you like to tell me a bit about your journey? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
Wouldn't make a difference in terms of getting into med school.

If you're sure you want to do medicine after your degree, personally I wouldn't waste time with a placement year. Just finish biomed and go for medicine.

Im sure I want to do Medicine, but what if I don't get in as I heard it is very competitive?

Then it makes it very difficult to find a job In Biomedical Science with no experience? I will have to have a good think, its something to fall back on I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending