The Student Room Group

Best place to buy formal shirts for work

I've recently lost some weight and need some new shirts for work. I need to buy quite a few so I can mix and match them with the ties I already have.

I have a budget of around £100 and ideally need 4 or 5 new shirts so we're looking at around £20-25 per shirt.

Where would be the best place to look? I've looked at Marks and Spencer but the majority of the shirts there are patterned. I'm looking for plain long sleeved shirts in different colours. Nothing fancy.
Charles Tyrwhitt do really nice plain shirts at 4 for £100 or 5 for £85 at their outlet stores. They do three fits, classic, slim and extra slim, so I'd suggest going in a trying some on. The fabric is really nice and soft and they're a good fit. I swear by them and have 13 so far.

Don't dismiss patterns immediately, subtly checked or striped patterned shirts are just as, if not more, suited to office work and just as versatile.

www.ctshirts.co.uk
(edited 9 years ago)
All the standard places - BHS, Debenhams, Pearsons. Go to an outlet mall for the best deals. At the end of the day, a shirt's a shirt. Don't worry about brand - if it's comfortable and you're happy with the colour, then go for it. I got my coloured shirts for concerts from Debenhams.
Not convinced about this mixing and matching - you're just making unnecessary decisions for yourself in the morning. :smile:

Multipacks of pale blue and white polycotton are perfect for workshirts - M&S non-iron are nice, though imo you do need to iron them a little bit.

Had a very cheap shirt from tescos in a laundry emergency - no chest pocket to keep my biros in and the tail was so short it kept un-tucking itself.
Original post by Mr CS
I've recently lost some weight and need some new shirts for work. I need to buy quite a few so I can mix and match them with the ties I already have.

I have a budget of around £100 and ideally need 4 or 5 new shirts so we're looking at around £20-25 per shirt.

Where would be the best place to look? I've looked at Marks and Spencer but the majority of the shirts there are patterned. I'm looking for plain long sleeved shirts in different colours. Nothing fancy.

As Chrispringles said - I get my shirts from CT - very smart, good selection, and good deals on buying multiple shirts - I also get cufflinks and some other stuff from them as well, and always get really good offers through the post with £5 off here and there...

Really recommend
Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin if you want something a bit tight fitting (even CT's Extra Slim Fit isn't that tight).
CT or TM Lewin - I always buy suit shirts from TML as my sleeve length is 34", so CT shirts come up a bit short at 33".
Reply 7
Original post by XMaramena
All the standard places - BHS, Debenhams, Pearsons. Go to an outlet mall for the best deals. At the end of the day, a shirt's a shirt. Don't worry about brand - if it's comfortable and you're happy with the colour, then go for it. I got my coloured shirts for concerts from Debenhams.

Original post by Joinedup
Not convinced about this mixing and matching - you're just making unnecessary decisions for yourself in the morning. :smile:

Multipacks of pale blue and white polycotton are perfect for workshirts - M&S non-iron are nice, though imo you do need to iron them a little bit.

Had a very cheap shirt from tescos in a laundry emergency - no chest pocket to keep my biros in and the tail was so short it kept un-tucking itself.

This only works if you happen to fit into those shirts exactly. Many people end up with a shirt that's too big or too small and with sleeves too long, and looking a complete mess - which is why there are shirtmakers like the aforementioned TML and CT, where you can get a variety of fits and sleeve lengths for a given collar size.
M&S multipack :smile:
Original post by Clip
This only works if you happen to fit into those shirts exactly. Many people end up with a shirt that's too big or too small and with sleeves too long, and looking a complete mess - which is why there are shirtmakers like the aforementioned TML and CT, where you can get a variety of fits and sleeve lengths for a given collar size.

I suppose these two might not find a fit then.

Original post by Clip

M&S multipacks do all that... http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-2in-longer-long-sleeve-easy-care-assorted-shirts/p/p22270664
Reply 11

If it fits, then whatever. That's only two sleeve lengths per collar, though.

Latest