Di Stefano 0%
Cruyff 2%
Beckenbauer 0%
G.Muller 1%
Platini 0%
Ronaldinho 6%
Marouane Fellaini8%
Total votes: 130
I've always wanted to know other people's views on who they think is the greatest player to ever grace the beautiful game.

It would be great if you could also justify your choice.

Scroll to see replies

In my lifetime, Maradona. Better than Messi, because Maradona's Barca wasn't as dominant, and he excelled at Napoli which isn't a big club in Italian terms.
Pele and Maradona for me.

Their achievements are great for clubs and country. I voted Maradona today but I could easily choose Pele on another day.

C Ronaldo and Messi are on a similar level. By the end of their careers, they may even exceed the former two, but I think we have to wait to judge that.

All the others are legends, but on a level below those 4. Several players were for a time the best in the world (Ronaldo, Ronaldinho) but didn't have the longevity of some of the other legends here.
Reply 3
Original post by darzenalblex
In my lifetime, Maradona. Better than Messi, because Maradona's Barca wasn't as dominant, and he excelled at Napoli which isn't a big club in Italian terms.

Would you ignore all the controversial things he did though? In my opinion, if you want to be declared as the greatest, you have to have a good life both on and off the pitch.
No, doesn't matter. He's human, he's no more or less perfect than anybody else. I judge him on his talents alone.
Reply 5
Original post by chazwomaq
Pele and Maradona for me.

Their achievements are great for clubs and country. I voted Maradona today but I could easily choose Pele on another day.

C Ronaldo and Messi are on a similar level. By the end of their careers, they may even exceed the former two, but I think we have to wait to judge that.

All the others are legends, but on a level below those 4. Several players were for a time the best in the world (Ronaldo, Ronaldinho) but didn't have the longevity of some of the other legends here.

That is very true. However Messi has won 4 Ballon D'ors so he must be close right? C Ronaldo is also becoming better, year upon year, so I guess we will have to wait! One thing is for sure though, no player will match Pele's outstanding goalscoring record and achievements with Brazil.
Reply 6
For me, Cruyff or Best. Cruyff - Mr. Total Football say no more. Best - could do anything despite being completely hammered the night before.

Pele never played in a big league, and personally I don't think you can gauge Skinny Ronaldo or Messi until they've finished - but one of those two might just well be the best ever.
Reply 7
No, doesn't matter. He's human, he's no more or less perfect than anybody else. I judge him on his talents alone.

In that case, do you see a player such as Suarez being a viable option on this list of great players?
Reply 8
Original post by Clip
For me, Cruyff or Best. Cruyff - Mr. Total Football say no more. Best - could do anything despite being completely hammered the night before.

Pele never played in a big league, and personally I don't think you can gauge Skinny Ronaldo or Messi until they've finished - but one of those two might just well be the best ever.

Cruyff was exceptional - he transformed football and the even made his own skill move. Very few players have achieved his level of success, so it's a good choice. However the big issue with Cruyff is that he never managed to win an international competition such as the world cup or the euros.

I feel that Messi has blown his chance to be the greatest after losing the world cup final. However he has time on his side unlike the slightly older C.Ronaldo.
In my lifetime:

Messi
Ronaldo
Cristiano

My opinions on Pele are well known on here. He might scrape into the top 10 or something.
No, not done enough. He's also human, and? just stating my view....
Reply 11
3 Beckenbauer
2 Messi
1 Ronaldo
Reply 12
Original post by Wilfred Little
In my lifetime:

Messi
Ronaldo
Cristiano

My opinions on Pele are well known on here. He might scrape into the top 10 or something.

I'm new around here :tongue:

Please tell me what you think of Pele?
Reply 13
No, not done enough. He's also human, and? just stating my view....

More like vampire :tongue:

I respect your view...
Reply 14
Original post by mud4554r
However the big issue with Cruyff is that he never managed to win an international competition such as the world cup or the euros.

That's a bit harsh. The European Championships were a joke tournament in his heyday and didn't become a serious thing until Cruyff had basically retired.
Reply 15
Original post by Clip
That's a bit harsh. The European Championships were a joke tournament in his heyday and didn't become a serious thing until Cruyff had basically retired.

I guess that is a fair point...
Original post by mud4554r
I'm new around here :tongue:

Please tell me what you think of Pele?

He was fantastic, but he is also a fraud who embellished his achievements (3 World Cups, 1,000 goals, easily discredited). In my opinion there are a few of the widely regarded all time greats with stronger arguments to being the number one than him.

I say might scrape into the top 10, because I doubt I could name 10 footballers better or with a stronger claim to being the greatest.
Reply 17
He was fantastic, but he is also a fraud who embellished his achievements (3 World Cups, 1,000 goals, easily discredited). In my opinion there are a few of the widely regarded all time greats with stronger arguments to being the number one than him.

I say might scrape into the top 10, because I doubt I could name 10 footballers better or with a stronger claim to being the greatest.

That is very true (Injured in 1958, most goals being friendlies etc) Never playing in Europe I think may be a big factor towards him not being chosen.
Reply 18

Best
Cruyff
Zidane
van Basten
Maradona
Schmeichel
Skinny Ronaldo
Messi
Eusebio
Di Stefano

I would even put Klinsmann, Matthaus and Dino Zoff above Pele.

I might even put Fat Ronaldo above Pele.
Reply 19
Original post by Clip
Best
Cruyff
Zidane
van Basten
Maradona
Schmeichel
Skinny Ronaldo
Messi
Eusebio
Di Stefano

I would even put Klinsmann, Matthaus and Dino Zoff above Pele.

I might even put Fat Ronaldo above Pele.

Ah George Best, one of football's great journeyman's and play boys :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest