The Student Room Group

Do you think I can get into these Canadian Universities with these AS Grades?

Hello!
I am really interested in applying to University of Toronto or McGill University in Biochemistry or any Biology or Chemistry related subjects.
However, my AS grades turned out really bad - despite of my constant hard work throughout the year.
I have taken Math, Bio, Chem and Physics and have gotten ACCC.
However, since I am taking IAL - I am repeating January of 2015. The results for these repeats come out in the first week of March.

So, is there a chance of applying and being accepted?
I also have a few safety schools like UBC, McMasters and OttawaU.
I have a few extracurriculars as well - so please let me know :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by fictioned
Hello!
I am really interested in applying to University of Toronto or McGill University in Biochemistry or any Biology or Chemistry related subjects.
However, my AS grades turned out really bad - despite of my constant hard work throughout the year.
I have taken Math, Bio, Chem and Physics and have gotten ACCC.
However, since I am taking IAL - I am repeating January of 2015. The results for these repeats come out in the first week of March.

So, is there a chance of applying and being accepted?
I also have a few safety schools like UBC, McMasters and OttawaU.
I have a few extracurriculars as well - so please let me know :smile:

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure you won't get into McGill, maybe Toronto, but i'm not sure. You probably won't do very well in school though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Okorange
I'm pretty sure you won't get into McGill, maybe Toronto, but i'm not sure. You probably won't do very well in school though.

Thats a nice opinion to say considering everyone has a bad year anyway.
But thank you for the reply.
Doing well in school depends on me - not my grades.

Thanks anyway.
Original post by fictioned
Thats a nice opinion to say considering everyone has a bad year anyway.
But thank you for the reply.
Doing well in school depends on me - not my grades.

Thanks anyway.

Ottawa, McMaster and UBC aren't really safety schools, they are just as competitive as UofT and McGill. I would really recommend choosing a safety school like Laurentian or York or SFU.
Reply 4
Original post by Okorange
Ottawa, McMaster and UBC aren't really safety schools, they are just as competitive as UofT and McGill. I would really recommend choosing a safety school like Laurentian or York or SFU.

UBC has a deadline of march 15 - I can easily send in my repeated grades, my friend. That is also why McMaster is also on my safety school list.
This may seem like a silly question but if you want to go to Canadian Universities do you have to pay the fees upfront? Or can you get loans/bursary the way we would get here in the UK?
Reply 6
Original post by butterflyy
This may seem like a silly question but if you want to go to Canadian Universities do you have to pay the fees upfront? Or can you get loans/bursary the way we would get here in the UK?

Wont be of much help - I am not from the UK. So, no idea
Reply 7
UK loans/grants are only for UK universities.
Original post by feyy
UK loans/grants are only for UK universities.

So would a british citizen be able to get canadian loans/grants?
Reply 9

You'll have to research that. I'm not familiar with the Canadian system.

I'm 99% sure that you won't. The loans are provided by the government, which is only responsible for Canadian taxpayers.

No, you will not be able to apply for Canadian loans. You will have to pay the fees upfront.

Quick Reply