The Student Room Group

unsure about a levels for a medicine degree (want to apply to UCL)

I am going to send off my Sixth form application soon but I am unsure of what 4th A level to take

1: Chemistry
2: Biology
3: Philosophy
4: ???

I have ambitions to become a Doctor so I know its imperative to take Bio+Chem(which I like). I am interested in philosophy, it relates to medicine and the mind. Its also good since its an arts subject which UCL likes.

I'm NOT considering maths and/or physics as I don't enjoy them and feel as if I would do poorly in them.

I was considering politics as I am interested in the government and watch the news everyday, but have no idea if UCL will like this or how this relates to medicine.

I was thinking of taking Geography as I currently find it interesting but heard the workload would MEGA tough. So on the fence with this one.

I might choose History but didn't choose it at GCSE (do I need GCSE history to do it at A level)?

I'm not really fond of English Lit as I'm terrible with analysing books (don't really read books anyway) No MFL languages either.

So any recommendations + explanations is welcomed!
Help is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Politics is fine and incredibly relevant to the medical profession and the NHS as a whole.
Reply 2
Original post by DanielBaranowski

x

One thing that is not done very often that I would suggest - Ask them! Either email the relevant admissions tutors/staff or go to an open day there. This will both let you experience the university, and ask your questions. :smile:

However, I'd say that these are good A Levels that you are choosing, just try and get in any out of school experience that you can :smile:
Original post by SP0TIFY
One thing that is not done very often that I would suggest - Ask them! Either email the relevant admissions tutors/staff or go to an open day there. This will both let you experience the university, and ask your questions. :smile:

However, I'd say that these are good A Levels that you are choosing, just try and get in any out of school experience that you can :smile:

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by Democracy
Politics is fine and incredibly relevant to the medical profession and the NHS as a whole.

Thanks a lot. I was doubting this A level but it seems its not that bad now!

thanks again
Reply 5
What about a language? UCL LOVE languages, they're always talking about how that's something they value. Did you take a MFL GCSE?
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice!

I actually have a bit more to add, upon rereading your OP:

i. If you don't particularly like reading/analysing books (as you said about English) then perhaps History won't be the subject for you? Therefore, I'd definitely sway towards Politics.

ii. As you suggested, the workload from Geography is quite intensive. I didn't do it, however, many of my friends did due to their love of it at GCSE. Only one, who wishes to study Human Geography, says that they "don't hate it"... but she doesn't exactly love it. The natural side, anyways.

That is all, i think :P
Original post by suirrel
What about a language? UCL LOVE languages, they're always talking about how that's something they value. Did you take a MFL GCSE?

I don't think a language would be any better than the other subjects that the OP has said they are interested in doing.

They specifically said "no MFL languages" in their post.
Reply 8
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think a language would be any better than the other subjects that the OP has said they are interested in doing.

They specifically said "no MFL languages" in their post.

I didn't see that, yikes.

I don't think universities consider Politics on the same level as French but it's obviously better to do what you enjoy rather than do something based on how "academic" it is.
Original post by suirrel
I didn't see that, yikes.

I don't think universities consider Politics on the same level as French but it's obviously better to do what you enjoy rather than do something based on how "academic" it is.

True I think Politics is a slightly less respected A Level than English Literature/History etc, but I don't personally think it would make much difference to a medicine application.
Hi, although you are not considering maths, honestly speaking, if you want the best chances of getting into medicine, you need to do maths.

I know, I know, however, I thought I was going to fail until I used Exam solutions. From an E to an A. That's www.examsolutions.org

Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Joseph.S
Hi, although you are not considering maths, honestly speaking, if you want the best chances of getting into medicine, you need to do maths.

Please take your myths elsewhere.
Hey guys, thanks for all the info!!

I was just wandering, even if I do

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
-Politics

would some one else that chose
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
- ??? (anything regarded higher that politics)

and got the same high grades as me, get in other than me?
Original post by Ronove

:eek: phewww! I was getting scared there, because I really do not want to do maths. thanks Ronove:colondollar:
Hey guys, thanks for all the info!!

I was just wandering, even if I do

-Biology
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
-Politics

would some one else that chose
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
- ??? (anything regarded higher that politics)

and got the same high grades as me, get in other than me?

No, that's not how it works.
Surely you have to do a third science for Medicine?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Edminzodo
Surely you have to do a third science for Medicine?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, what makes you think that?
Original post by Ronove

From all the applicants for medicine, how many would you assume do maths? Not doing it makes you stand out. Most institutions teach maths, therefore an applicant wanting to do medicine needs a good reason not to. Not to mention from all my friends that are applying to medicine, they all do maths (9 people).

Furthermore, a study I read recently says that a good 50+% (I forget precise numbers) of Oxbridge's humanities students take maths. So with that reasoning, not taking maths in a 'science-y' course could be a let down.

Additionally, as a student myself taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I can honestly say, looking at myself and my classes, maths is a significant boost to my studies, not to mention understanding topics when reading around my subjects.

Nevertheless, I hope the OP does what's best for them, and I wish them every success in the future.

Thanks.

P.S. www.examsolutions.net is a great resource for maths, from a-levels to GCSE. Includes all boards and past paper solutions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Joseph.S
From all the applicants for medicine, how many would you assume do maths? Not doing it makes you stand out. Most institutions teach maths, therefore an applicant wanting to do medicine needs a good reason not to. Not to mention from all my friends that are applying to medicine, they all do maths (9 people).

Furthermore, a study I read recently says that a good 50+% (I forget precise numbers) of Oxbridge's humanities students take maths. So with that reasoning, not taking maths in a 'science-y' course could be a let down.

Additionally, as a student myself taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I can honestly say, looking at myself and my classes, maths is a significant boost to my studies, not to mention understanding topics when reading around my subjects.

Nevertheless, I hope the OP does what's best for them, and I wish them every success in the future.

Thanks.

P.S. www.examsolutions.net is a great resource for maths, from a-levels to GCSE. Includes all boards and past paper solutions.

Just no.

This isn't even a simple (and typical) case of failing to understand that correlation causation. You seem to just be making up your own logic.
Original post by Ronove
Just no.

This isn't even a simple (and typical) case of failing to understand that correlation causation. You seem to just be making up your own logic.

I'm not saying that. Forget about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending