The Student Room Group

Teachers who try hard to be popular

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article4255739.ece

Do you have any teachers who try to be popular?

Does it affect how much you respect them?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article4255739.ece

Do you have any teachers who try to be popular?

Does it affect how much you respect them?

My geography teacher through gcse was just like that. He would only talk to and joke with the annoying "cool" kids who shouted the most during class, and then try to be mr moral highcode afterwards by telling them to be quiet as soon as he made them laugh. It was a vicious cycle and he only cared about being liked by certain people, whilst ignoring everyone else.

It made me lose all respect for him. I didnt have a connection with him or feel comfortable approaching him because of it. :/
Reply 2
Only one did that I remember, and as far as I recall nobody respected him. However, he also never put any effort into well-planned lessons or indeed taught anything that I can remember. (This is in sharp contrast to all my other teachers at the same school, who looking back I think were all very competent!) I think that if he had at least tried to teach in a more than half-assed way, some of us might have overlooked his neediness. But incompetence + neediness is not really something anyone can respect.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Emily.97
My geography teacher through gcse was just like that. He would only talk to and joke with the annoying "cool" kids who shouted the most during class, and then try to be mr moral highcode afterwards by telling them to be quiet as soon as he made them laugh. It was a vicious cycle and he only cared about being liked by certain people, whilst ignoring everyone else.

It made me lose all respect for him. I didnt have a connection with him or feel comfortable approaching him because of it. :/

Sounds like he was sending mixed messages. :/

That's really interesting to hear how much it affected you though - it's a shame that you felt unable to approach him.
Had a teacher like that - I dropped the subject though...

Some worship her like a freaking cult. Quite hilarious actually. :biggrin:
Had a teacher like that, made us all fail what a great teacher

Quick Reply

Latest