The Student Room Group

Should there be more unisex toilets?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. I'm nonbinary and I take a gamble every time I go into a binary toilet.
Original post by Zamestaneh
I don't even want to use the same piss-stained toilet seats as my fellow men, half of the time, so why would I want to burden women with that?

I take it that you have never seen a womens toilet in a pub or bar?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't really give a **** (no pun intended), and certainly wouldn't mind if it were an option but I don't really think there's much need to create these spaces just for the sake of it. I think more people would be more comfortable keeping it as it is, rather than just having unisex toilets.

Being comfortable isn't an option for transgendered people. Do you really wish to make life harder for them?

On the other side of the argument, I can see that it could increase the rates of sexual harassment/abuse so it might not be a wholly plausible idea in our misogynistic society.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
On the other side of the argument, I can see that it could increase the rates of sexual harassment/abuse so it might not be a wholly plausible idea in our misogynistic society.

If someone is disgusting enough to want to sexually harass/abuse someone, I doubt a door with a sign of a little stick woman or man is going to stop them. So I don't think this is really an issue.
hell nooo. imagine boys going looking at women's p*ssys. ever heard of privacy.
also perverts can easily coming and start raping children
Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY
hell nooo. imagine boys going looking at women's p*ssys. ever heard of privacy.

Ever heard of a cubicle?

Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY
also perverts can easily coming and start raping children

Yep, but if we stick a sign of a little stickwoman wearing a skirt on the door the rapist will flee in utter terror!
I'm a guy, and I really don't want unisex toilets.

It might mean actually having to queue to go to the toilet!
Original post by TroyAndAbed
If someone is disgusting enough to want to sexually harass/abuse someone, I doubt a door with a sign of a little stick woman or man is going to stop them. So I don't think this is really an issue.

I don't think you understand... I'm saying that if women and men shared the same toilets, it could end up with sexual harassment taking place. That's just how the world is. I agree, it's disgusting and barbaric but it is humans after all.
Being comfortable isn't an option for transgendered people. Do you really wish to make life harder for them?

Did you really get "I want to make people's lives harder" from the tone of my post, or are you just being deliberately obtuse?
I don't think you understand... I'm saying that if women and men shared the same toilets, it could end up with sexual harassment taking place. That's just how the world is. I agree, it's disgusting and barbaric but it is humans after all.

Why do you think sexual harrassment is any more likely in a unisex toilet than in a single-sex one?
No. I like the practicality of urinals.

Why is it female toilets are always near by but the male ones are like always up at least one flight of stairs? It's the matriarchy I tell you!
Why not? Issues of modesty don't cut it IMHO....

One major issue I can think of is molesting.....if men seek to grope women, or even vice versa, who can prevent them? Cameras in toilets is a no-no for obvious reasons....

In principle though, I don't see why not...

and piss-stained toilets....well this is why they have cleaners...
Original post by Watch Key Phone
Why do you think sexual harrassment is any more likely in a unisex toilet than in a single-sex one?

Most men and women are not gay.......and how often does sexual harassment happen now in single-sex toilets? Given how men AND women are, kind of figures some won't feel horny....and it can just as much be women on men too.
Original post by darzenalblex
Most men and women are not gay.......and how often does sexual harassment happen now in single-sex toilets? Given how men AND women are, kind of figures some won't feel horny....and it can just as much be women on men too.

If someone is in the mood to sexually assault another person, do you think a stick figure on a door will stop them from going in there to find a victim?
Original post by KingBradly
I certainly don't see why not. If you can't handle someone of the opposite sex going to toilet in the same room as you then you should probably grow up.

I think its more the fact that men and women have anatomical differences that require different facilities. Not many women can piss in a urinal.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Why is it female toilets are always near by but the male ones are like always up at least one flight of stairs? It's the matriarchy I tell you!

Because stairs, high heels, alcohol and needing a wee is not a pleasant combination :biggrin:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Or is it the patriarchy being patronising and dismissive by assuming poor widdle women can't manage a flight of stairs by themselves?
Original post by cole-slaw
Or is it the patriarchy being patronising and dismissive by assuming poor widdle women can't manage a flight of stairs by themselves?

mind = blown
Original post by cole-slaw
I think its more the fact that men and women have anatomical differences that require different facilities. Not many women can piss in a urinal.

No, but all men can piss in a toilet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending