The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Bloxorus
As far as I'm aware, everywhere else has compulsory essay writing. Cambridge is still extremely mathematical, but I believe there are compulsory history modules in the first year.

I personally chose to study economics because I enjoyed maths and I also had a strong interest for the subject itself. I think you're right about people studying it for the job prospects and pay. For a career in finance/investment banking, there really isn't a better route in than studying economics at a target university and I think this is a lot of peoples motivation.

Oh right thanks, but can you elaborate on " target universities " ?

What are typically the target uni's for economics for a career in finance/investment banking at the top firms?
Original post by Fade
Oh right thanks, but can you elaborate on " target universities " ?

What are typically the target uni's for economics for a career in finance/investment banking at the top firms?

It's usually Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick.
Take a look at this for the top 15: http://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card
Original post by NinjaPandaa
I think it's something like 3 applicants per place so fairly competitive, more so than bath anyway

I've applied and I have the same AS results as you, although higher A2 predictions but you're in a fairly good position

Personally I went for 3 competitive ones (Cambridge, Warwick and Durham(well durham's not mega competitive but still 2 apps per place) and 2 less competitive notts and leeds, so you'd be in a similar position to me :smile:

If you're worried about not getting into LSE and UCL I would maybe be tempted to go for Bath as they've given out loads of offers already

Have you been to either campus?

No no its more like 10-15 applicants per place but just that the top 30% of applicants get offers, since not everyone will firm Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
No no its more like 10-15 applicants per place but just that the top 30% of applicants get offers, since not everyone will firm Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok yeah fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
What colleges did people apply to for Cambridge econ?
Original post by jchap9776

Emma, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nice, Jesus for me lol
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Warwick is like ultimate campus uni, like nottingham but sort of even more so because the closest city is Coventry and that's not exactly a massive city
It's nothing like Manchester uni from what I can remember of manc, that's like all across a main road isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am currently living in Manchester, I go past Manny uni nearly everyday. It's a city campus on a big main road, it's really busy as well because man met uni is next to man uni, and that area is full of students from uni, college and highschool.
I'm not a big fan of Manchester because it's some of its campus buildings are spread quite sparsely from the heart of the uni. But if you like that sort of thing great :smile:

Hope it helped
Ah nice, Jesus for me lol

King's :-)
Original post by liamc1997
King's :-)

fair, kings looked pretty sick
Someone has an LSE economics offer on the connect pages :O

Queens' college woo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Someone has an LSE economics offer on the connect pages :O

My friend got one as well:smile:
Original post by Aso816
My friend got one as well:smile:

This is not good man. I feel the rejections coming.
Original post by EHZ17

What's your grade and predictions?
Original post by Aso816
What's your grade and predictions?

Copy and pasted from sig:

GCSEs:
7A* (inc. Maths), 2A, 1C (Spanish)

AS:
Maths A (293/300)
Physics A (242/300)
English A (200/200)
Economics A (200/200)

[Best 3: 99.223%]

A2 Predicted:
Maths A*
Economics A*
English A*
Further Maths (AS) A

-----------

The flaw in my application is the lack of A2 FM but I am studying S1 and S2 with FP1 for AS FM. I'm the least confident about LSE because of this and also I didn't write too much Maths stuff on PS, I just did baree econ stuff.

Also my GCSEs are meant to be a flaw :s-smilie:
Original post by EHZ17
Copy and pasted from sig:

GCSEs:
7A* (inc. Maths), 2A, 1C (Spanish)

AS:
Maths A (293/300)
Physics A (242/300)
English A (200/200)
Economics A (200/200)

[Best 3: 99.223%]

A2 Predicted:
Maths A*
Economics A*
English A*
Further Maths (AS) A

-----------

The flaw in my application is the lack of A2 FM but I am studying S1 and S2 with FP1 for AS FM. I'm the least confident about LSE because of this and also I didn't write too much Maths stuff on PS, I just did baree econ stuff.

Also my GCSEs are meant to be a flaw :s-smilie:

My grades are much worse than yours.I've got 5 A's,3 B's and a D at GCSES.Then at AS levels,I got 3 B's and an A.My predictions are 2 A*s and a B.
Still applying to UCL.
(edited 9 years ago)
By the way,does anyone have tips on writing the personal statement?I am stuck on my second paragraph(Writing about how my subjects are related to my degree)
Original post by EHZ17

Relax it's only early November. LSE should get back to you at the end of the whatever week it is email. They operate on a rolling process so the earlier you apply the earlier you'd hear back.
(edited 9 years ago)
If it helps, last year I sent my application on October 11th and LSE returned to me with a decision on December 12th. Generally, it was people who sent their applications in September which heard back from them in November.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending