The Student Room Group

Should I give up on pursuing medicine?!

Hello.
For the past year, I've really wanted to study medicine and I feel that it's one of my passions- I spend my free time reading anatomy books or looking at surgical techniques on youtube :redface:. However, I feel stupid for wanting to study it because I go to a school where lots want to be doctors, and I feel so unintelligent compared to them. My gcses were bad, mostly A's with 3 A* and a c grade which I will be resitting this week. I'm finding a levels fine, but whenever I do well, it seems futile because of how low my gcses are compared to others with 10-13A*s! I'm rambling,sorry, but I'm confused and I wish I didn't want to study medicine as much as I do:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Lularose83
Hello.
For the past year, I've really wanted to study medicine and I feel that it's one of my passions- I spend my free time reading anatomy books or looking at surgical techniques on youtube :redface:. However, I feel stupid for wanting to study it because I go to a school where lots want to be doctors, and I feel so unintelligent compared to them. My gcses were bad, mostly A's with 3 A* and a c grade which I will be resitting this week. I'm finding a levels fine, but whenever I do well, it seems futile because of how low my gcses are compared to others with 10-13A*s! I'm rambling,sorry, but I'm confused and I wish I didn't want to study medicine as much as I do:confused:

The med schools aren't going to have your application side by side with the others from your school and only pick the person from the group with the most A*s at GCSE. Do your research and preparation, apply wisely and stop worrying about the other people at school.
No, you certainly shouldn't give up on medicine. It sounds like your GCSEs are fine, but would you mind telling me exactly how many As you got?

A lot of people have impeccable grades whilst applying to medicine, but it's not all about the grades :smile: If you think you have the qualities to make a good doctor (and you're able to convey that through your personal statement and interviews) then why should you give up :P
Reply 3
Hello, thank you for replying :smile:
I got 3A*6A and I'm resitting maths this week to hopefully get an A or A*. I just feel like the teachers will look down on me if I say I want to study medicine though!
Reply 4
Hello.

I got 3A*6A and I'm resitting maths this week to hopefully get an A or A*. I just feel like the teachers will look down on me if I say I want to study medicine though!

Hi,

Firstly, GCSE's are not everything. You will find certain medical schools placing a large emphasis on them and others that don't particularly take them into much consideration. You should apply for medical schools strategically and ones which appeal to your strengths. Those GCSE grades are fine for most. I had the exact same as yourself and received two offers. Having 10 A*'s at GCSE will not make you a better medical student. This is something you will quickly learn in medical school. I can assure you on that. Go for it!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by 06shawm
Hi,

Firstly, GCSE's are not everything. You will find certain medical schools placing a large emphasis on them and others that don't particularly take them into much consideration. You should apply for medical schools strategically and ones which appeal to your strengths. Those GCSE grades are fine for most. I had the exact same as yourself and received two offers. Having 10 A*'s at GCSE will not make you a better medical student. This is something you will quickly learn in medical school. I can assure you on that. Go for it!! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for this, you've inspired me to try my hardest and hopefully it will pay off. :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much for this, you've inspired me to try my hardest and hopefully it will pay off. :smile:

No problem, good luck! :smile:
Hello.

You can get into medical school with those GCSEs... Just focus on A-levels and getting the right work experience. Do a lot of extra-curriculars and try to become a holistic person as well. If you have a dream don't let anyone bring you down. It sounds cheesy but you don't want to be that person who suddenly looks back and says "I wish I could have tried medicine."

Obviously, avoid the GCSE heavy unis. There are plenty of unis that don't put such an emphasis on GCSEs. Do excellently on the UKCAT/BMAT and you would be in a very good position for an interview..

Then prepare for the interview (an interview will not guarantee an offer, you'll have to work for it)

But yeah, basically you should be fine if you do well in your A-levels and aptitude tests, and apply smartly. Each uni has a different shortlisting method. Study these methods and see which one you'd most likely be shortlisted for.

Best of luck :smile:

Your GCSEs are better than mine. My teachers looked down on me when I applied to dentistry last year, but who cares what they think :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending