The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile:, where are you studying at the moment?

I was also going to apply for 2015 entry, but when I looked realistically at my uni timetable and the funding I decided to wait. I did the UKCAT as a practice and wrote notes for my ps so I'm a little prepared! I'm going to be doing both the UKCAT and GAMSAT. I plan to apply to Warwick, Newcastle, Soton and Swansea (providing none of them change their entry requirements!)

I have 6 months of volunteering in a hospital, about 4 weeks of GP, I volunteer for AsthmaUk, teach first aid, work with children with learning disabilities and volunteer with STEM. I'm also VP of a society that we've kind of had to resurrect after last year!

Not sure if I should be giving tips or not, but it's worthwile going and getting some healthcare ethics books out of your uni library. It'll be worth it for interview, or so I've been told.

I'm studying in Liverpool John Moores at the moment! What about you? You have so much experience ha! I really need to get something else too, possibly a care home or something to get more experience with the elderly, or St John ambulance through my uni.

I was told by one of my course mates who took the GAMSAT this year that it was actually easier than the ukcat, because the timing isn't as harsh, and there's more you can revise for it really.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I'm also planning on going to the open days for all of the unis I want to apply to; I think it's a good idea to have an understanding of the course itself, in case you need to mention anything in interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Also going to be applying for 2016 entry. I'm a Second Year Biomedical Sciences student.

Fortunate enough to have about a month's experience of volunteering in a nursing home, couple of weeks shadowing at two NHS hospitals, week at a Pharmacy and GP.

However, that experience was in my Sixth-Form years and I was wondering how relevant that experience will be for 2016.

Subsequently, I was also wondering aside from your Personal Statement, where else might you show previous experience?

Thank you for reading this guys and hopefully we'll make it.
Reply 22
Original post by Chqr
Also going to be applying for 2016 entry. I'm a Second Year Biomedical Sciences student.

Fortunate enough to have about a month's experience of volunteering in a nursing home, couple of weeks shadowing at two NHS hospitals, week at a Pharmacy and GP.

However, that experience was in my Sixth-Form years and I was wondering how relevant that experience will be for 2016.

Subsequently, I was also wondering aside from your Personal Statement, where else might you show previous experience?

Thank you for reading this guys and hopefully we'll make it.

Some universities, if not all, want recent experience so you might have to get some more. Aside from the PS you could demonstrate what you learned during interview.
I'm going to be applying for 2016 entry too. I'm in my final year of an English literature degree (strange choice, I know) and was going to apply this year but looking at finance and time constraints I've decided to focus on my degree for this year and then take the extra year to get some more experience and prepare for the GAMSAT and UKCAT.

Slightly nervous about the GAMSAT, I have science A levels but that will have been three years ago by the time I sit the test, so I need to brush up and get to first year degree level. Has anyone heard of any good books for GAMSAT revision? I'm planning on waiting until I hand in my dissertation before I begin because I don't want to fail my degree because I'm too busy doing something else which will give me about four months to revise so hopefully that'll be alright.

My work experience isn't too bad luckily, but I need to get some actual shadowing. So far I've been working as a personal carer for a year, volunteered in a hospital on a stroke ward and oncology clinic for six months, worked as a Healthwatch representative, volunteered as a NightSafe team leader for the last few months (basically first response for drunk people or people needing first aid in town at night), I was disabled students welfare officer for my college (I go to a collegiate University) for a year and now I'm president of Welfare and student support, I volunteer for the Anthony Nolan charity and work with adults with dementia.

Feeling slightly lonely as an arts/humanities graduate haha!
Original post by LukeyJB
X

Original post by liam__
X

Original post by middlo
X

Original post by tw781
X

Original post by CharlottexBelle
X

Original post by J1mmy
X

X

Original post by ColyTom
X

Hi, is anyone else not from a RG uni?

I'm looking for advice and hope somebody here can help me. I've seen that some universities have no requirements for A-Levels but mine, quite honestly are abysmal (BCD with a D in Biology). I'm studying History at the moment, non-RG.

Just wondering if I should just abandon all hope, redo my A-Levels after graduation and apply in a few years?

I have a lot of varied work experience and I was hoping to do something more hands on and medically inclined over the coming summer.

Advice and such will be appreciated.
Reply 25
Original post by EloiseStar

I'm looking for advice and hope somebody here can help me. I've seen that some universities have no requirements for A-Levels but mine, quite honestly are abysmal (BCD with a D in Biology). I'm studying History at the moment, non-RG.

Just wondering if I should just abandon all hope, redo my A-Levels after graduation and apply in a few years?

I have a lot of varied work experience and I was hoping to do something more hands on and medically inclined over the coming summer.

I'm not at an RG uni, A-levels do not matter at all for graduate entry medicine unless the university says so.
Reply 26

So I am at a RG uni, but the consensus on this forum is that it doesn't matter where your degree is from. As long as you graduate with a 2:1 then you're golden.

Retaking A-Levels may give you a few more options with regards to where will take you (some need A-Level Chem and maybe even Bio- check on their websites), but there are plenty of GEM courses where they don't consider your A-Levels. It's your call, but personally I'm not retaking my A-Levels (I don't have Chem or Bio).

I'm at Bradford, certainly not RG! I'm also restricted by A levels, but there are places you can apply to. It kind of depends on how you feel about jumping into science again. I'm doing biomed so I don't mind that I didn't get As in bio and chem. Maybe just have a look around and see what you feel is best for you.

I'm studying in Liverpool John Moores at the moment! What about you? You have so much experience ha! I really need to get something else too, possibly a care home or something to get more experience with the elderly, or St John ambulance through my uni.

I was told by one of my course mates who took the GAMSAT this year that it was actually easier than the ukcat, because the timing isn't as harsh, and there's more you can revise for it really.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I'm also planning on going to the open days for all of the unis I want to apply to; I think it's a good idea to have an understanding of the course itself, in case you need to mention anything in interview.

I'm at Bradford uni (not as bad as it sounds!) I have issues with experience in that it's all over a period of time, not a few weeks which Warwick want. I'm hoping to get a job as a HCA or similar next year to sort that.

That's good news about the GAMSAT, now if only they'd lower the cost of it! I went to all of the open days last year, so hopefully nothing changes too much!
I'm at Bradford, certainly not RG! I'm also restricted by A levels, but there are places you can apply to. It kind of depends on how you feel about jumping into science again. I'm doing biomed so I don't mind that I didn't get As in bio and chem. Maybe just have a look around and see what you feel is best for you.

I'm at Bradford uni (not as bad as it sounds!) I have issues with experience in that it's all over a period of time, not a few weeks which Warwick want. I'm hoping to get a job as a HCA or similar next year to sort that.

That's good news about the GAMSAT, now if only they'd lower the cost of it! I went to all of the open days last year, so hopefully nothing changes too much!

Where are you thinking of applying? I'm having to go for one that accepts all courses at undergrad.
Original post by liam__
So I am at a RG uni, but the consensus on this forum is that it doesn't matter where your degree is from. As long as you graduate with a 2:1 then you're golden.

Retaking A-Levels may give you a few more options with regards to where will take you (some need A-Level Chem and maybe even Bio- check on their websites), but there are plenty of GEM courses where they don't consider your A-Levels. It's your call, but personally I'm not retaking my A-Levels (I don't have Chem or Bio).

I think I'll look at where I can go and weigh up my options.Then at least I'll have a better shot.
Original post by LukeyJB
I'm not at an RG uni, A-levels do not matter at all for graduate entry medicine unless the university says so.

Probably not going to get any interviews this year with 665 in the UKCAT. I plan to sit the GAMSAT, MCAT and UKCAT next year and applying to Duke in Singapore, Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, and Barts.

My stats- Crap A Levels AADbd, first class honours in a BSc that no one understands, MSc in science communication, consistently on the 70th centile for aptitude tests which is good but not good enough, years and years of voluntary work, current NHS employee, decent clinical experience and all the extra curriculars you could shake a stick and I interview like a boss...but that's not going to help until I manage to nail an admissions test. :biggrin:

Slightly cynical, slightly exasperated, totally resigned to being the oldest grad on the programme when my chance finally comes around. Good luck guys, hopefully some of us will be future classmates.
Reply 32
Original post by examrush
how old are you if you dont mind me asking

I'm 24

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by examrush
how old are you if you dont mind me asking

Better late than never

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tonight I'm doing a Q&A on the A101Hacks twitter account... twitter.com/A101Hacks about Grad medicine/UKCAT and interviews (esp KCL, Warwick and Newcastle)
If any of you have questions etc come along from 8pm :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Quilverine
Probably not going to get any interviews this year with 665 in the UKCAT. I plan to sit the GAMSAT, MCAT and UKCAT next year and applying to Duke in Singapore, Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, and Barts.

Duke in Singapore? Isn't that like 25K a year
Original post by middlo
Better late than never

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no dont get me wrong i'm 27 and have a 1st in biomed, i have worked in the nhs for 6 years and i am applying next year, i am an oldie
Original post by J1mmy
Duke in Singapore? Isn't that like 25K a year

From what I can tell overseas students are eligible for the loan and you are tied into a 5 year working contract post graduation. It's not like going to the states where you need a quarter of a mil up front and ready to go. It only requires significant personal financial resources if you wish to break the 5 year contract- you have to buy your way out. It all rests on my partner working out there though. If his contract isn't likely to keep him in Singapore for years I am not sure if I should commit to a 10 year stay. It's a shame they switched to the American system, it used to be modelled on UK medical schools and took the GAMSAT.
Am I right in thinking we have to submit our application in September 2015 for 2016 entry? I graduate my BA in 2016 and considering taking a year out and applying for 2017 but don't want to keep putting it back.
Original post by Foaly09
As someone who is aiming for GEM and are working on applying for an undergraduate course, is there any advice you guys can give?

Get experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending