The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by anonwinner
For the last 4 years, 40/50 has been a score of >69... Where did you get 65 from?

The papers of the last years (starting 2009) were more difficult compared with the early ones (including the specimen). The difficulty of the Specimen paper seems to me about the same as the 2008 test. So you probably want to check the score conversion for 2008.

It will give you around 65.

You should do one of the recent papers because they are a lot harder!
Original post by economicsrocks
Sorry if these have already been explained, but could someone explain 32 from 2009, and 30 and 21 from 2011 please? Thanks in advance :smile:

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/99502-tsa_oxford_section_1_2009.pdf
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/99504-tsa_oxford_section_1_2011.pdf

2009 Q32.

This is a hard question. The way I did it was by seeing how many other stations each station directly connected to (without passing through another station).

In A, B, D, and E, 4 of the stations directly connect with 3 other stations, and 2 of the stations directly connect with 2 other stations. In C, 1 of the stations directly connects with 4 other stations, 4 of the stations directly connect with 3 other stations, and 1 of the stations directly connects with 2 other stations.

The answer is C.

2011 Q30.

The Rovers have played and won all 4 games. United and County each only have 1 loss, this must have been against the Rovers because they won all their games. This means that the match between United and County was definitely a draw, so it was either A or D.

United has won 2 games, and scored 2 goals. It must have scored at least 1 goal in each of the games it won (or else they would have drew or lost). Therefore they scored 0 goals in their game against County, and because it was a draw, County also scored 0 goals.

The answer is A, United 0 County 0
Original post by Agap
The papers of the last years (starting 2009) were more difficult compared with the early ones (including the specimen). The difficulty of the Specimen paper seems to me about the same as the 2008 test. So you probably want to check the score conversion for 2008.

It will give you around 65.

You should do one of the recent papers because they are a lot harder!

I've done all the papers now, I think the essay questions have got easier though?
Reply 523
Original post by samthemiller
I've done all the papers now, I think the essay questions have got easier though?

I think so, too. But the topics were typically important issues at the time of the test. So probably you simply know more about the recent ones.
Can you find an average mark of the people being accepted anywhere? :smile:
Reply 525
Original post by mrpunchline
Can you find an average mark of the people being accepted anywhere? :smile:

2013: 70,2
Reply 527
Hey guys, could someone please help me with this question-

I have several jobs to do tomorrow morning. To save time I am going to try and
do several jobs at once. I need to be finished by 3pm when I have to meet a
friend. The jobs take the following amount of time:

Train journey to meet my friend ----- 40 mins
Wash my hair -------- 25 mins
Read my revision notes --------- 30 mins
Walk to the train station ------------ 10 mins
Watch my favourite television program ---------- 30 mins
Ring my mum on my mobile ----------------- 3 mins
Paint my nails ------------- 20 mins
What is the latest time I need to start?
a. 1.15pm
b. 1pm
c. 12.22pm
d. 1.50pm
e. 2.10pm

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 528
Original post by rmisra

a. 1.15pm
b. 1pm
c. 12.22pm
d. 1.50pm
e. 2.10pm

To avoid explaining a wrong answer, could you let me know the answer? I think I have got it right
Reply 529
Original post by kimiaak
To avoid explaining a wrong answer, could you let me know the answer? I think I have got it right

I don't have the official markscheme as this came from a test that's not on the website-- however other people have said the answer was A.

Thanks for the prompt response
Original post by rmisra

a. 1.15pm
b. 1pm
c. 12.22pm
d. 1.50pm
e. 2.10pm

You need to find the jobs which can be done at the same time. It takes 40mins on the train, and during these 40mins she can read her revision notes (30mins) and also ring her mum (3mins). It takes 10mins to walk to the train station, she could have rang her mum in these 10mins if she wanted to. It takes 30mins for her to watch her tv show, but she can paint her nails at the same time (20mins). It also takes 25mins to wash her hair.

40mins+10mins+30mins+25mins = 105mins = 1hour and 45mins.

3:00pm-1hour and 45mins = 1:15pm

The answer is A
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 531
Original post by rmisra
I don't have the official markscheme as this came from a test that's not on the website-- however other people have said the answer was A.

Thanks for the prompt response

No worries, it's good practice. Okay great I got that answer.

This is more common sense than anything.

Obviously when you are washing your hair you can do nothing other than that.

There's 25 minutes.

However, While watching TV, you could also paint your nails so since we are doing both things at the same time, it only takes as long as the longer one. This should make sense.

We add 30 minutes (TV show time). 25 and 30 makes 55.

Now, on the way to the train station, we could also call mum. Using the same reasoning as before, this will take 10 minutes. We start walking and the calling mum at 0 minutes, the call ends in 3 minutes and we carry on walking without the phone for another 7 minutes.

We add 10 minutes (train station time). 25 and 30 and 10 makes 65 or 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Finally, what better than to kill time on the train by reading our revision notes. We sit on the train for 40 minutes and we spend 30 minutes of that time reading our notes.

We add 40 minutes (train journey time) 25 and 30 and 10 and 40 makes 1 hour and 35 minutes.

So if we need to be ready by 3. 3 subtract 1 hour and 35 minutes would mean getting ready at 1:25. Since this is not an option, we better start at 1:15pm which is A.
Reply 532
Original post by kimiaak

There's 25 minutes.

However, While watching TV, you could also paint your nails so since we are doing both things at the same time, it only takes as long as the longer one. This should make sense.

Now, on the way to the train station, we could also call mum. Using the same reasoning as before, this will take 10 minutes. We start walking and the calling mum at 0 minutes, the call ends in 3 minutes and we carry on walking without the phone for another 7 minutes.

We add 10 minutes (train station time). 25 and 30 and 10 makes 65 or 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Finally, what better than to kill time on the train by reading our revision notes. We sit on the train for 40 minutes and we spend 30 minutes of that time reading our notes.

We add 40 minutes (train journey time) 25 and 30 and 10 and 40 makes 1 hour and 35 minutes.

So if we need to be ready by 3. 3 subtract 1 hour and 35 minutes would mean getting ready at 1:25. Since this is not an option, we better start at 1:15pm which is A.

sorry the values add up to 1 hour and 45 mins
It could be A, I would say by intuition as you need 50 mins for your journey (so it's cut off to 2:10), but then you also need 55 mins (two things of 30 mins which can be both done at the same time and 25 mins as it's the longest thing left, and you NEED at least 25 mins because if you needed 20, you couldn't do the 25-mins-thing)... does it make any sense to you?
Original post by kimiaak

There's 25 minutes.

You're right, up until the end. 40+25+30+10 = 105 minutes = 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Reply 535
Original post by anonwinner
You need to find the jobs which can be done at the same time. It takes 40mins on the train, and during these 40mins she can read her revision notes (30mins) and also ring her mum (3mins). It takes 10mins to walk to the train station, she could have rang her mum in these 10mins if she wanted to. It takes 30mins for her to watch her tv show, but she can paint her nails at the same time (20mins). It also takes 25mins to wash her hair.

40mins+10mins+30mins+25mins = 105mins = 1hour and 45mins.

3:00pm-1hour and 45mins = 1:15pm

The answer is A

Original post by kimiaak

There's 25 minutes.

Original post by Vincenzo Nasca
It could be A, I would say by intuition as you need 50 mins for your journey (so it's cut off to 2:10), but then you also need 55 mins (two things of 30 mins which can be both done at the same time and 25 mins as it's the longest thing left, and you NEED at least 25 mins because if you needed 20, you couldn't do the 25-mins-thing)... does it make any sense to you?

Thanks everyone, it's made sense to me now.

Was a lot simpler than I originally thought :P

If any of you need help with a question, let me know :gthumb:
Reply 536
How do other people deal with the time pressure? I can answer all the questions on the paper, I just end up getting to like question 35 with only 15-20 minutes to spare.
Hi all, I would really appreciate anyone reading and giving feedback on my TSA essay. Handwritten in 23mins ish, excluding planning - please excuse any typos! Thanks!

Should convicted criminals be allowed to vote?

Spoiler

Original post by Agap
2013: 70,2

source?
Hello guys. I really need your help on this one.

This test is destroying my life. It is soul crushing. Oxford has been my dream all my life. I worked all my life for it. I graduated in the top 1% , I got amazing recs and then it came the infamous TSA.
I did everything possible to prepare for it : I bought the Think You Can Think ( and I obviously can't since the results I am getting ) , I did all the past papers , I even bought the GMAT preparations books and read them as it is very similar , hell I even did all of the past BMAT adaptative sections.
And nothing.
I keep making 20-25 mistakes which is obviously too much for a PPE applicant . And the worst thing is that all of my mistakes come from an avoidable lack of capacity of prolonged focus more than a simple inability at performing well at this test , which I believe I am capable to solve to an extent.
I find myself looking at it and thinking that this is just awful. It is awful because I will never have the chance to prove myself at interview , if I keep making these mistakes on test day , all because of a devil made standardized test.
I am having panic attacks.
I need some advice or I am just going to crash and die in my despair , more than I already am.

Besides that I need your help on question 12 ( for some reason my calculations just don't coincide ) , 18 , 36, 37 and 38 on the 2013 paper . I am very grateful to anyone willing to help me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending