The Student Room Group

Hands getting ruined because I constantly wash them - any good creams for that?

I have to wash them after touching any kind of food, just cannot stand the smell of it on them, even when I eat with a fork, sometimes I even use bleach because I can still smell food on them.
But they are in a bad condition now, so need some kind of advice on how to repair that damage. No, I can just stop washing them, anything but that.
sorry op.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you should seek help for your psychological issues.

In the meantime, the Body shop do some good thick nourishing ones, and I have a Garnier one that I use at work. Cocoa butter and coconut oil are good ingredients to look out for. I have to wash my hands often as I work in a lab, so I've tried all sorts of creams :P
I hope you're joking. Do not wash your hands with bleach.
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Get the **** off this forum and go to the doctors? How many people come and ask questions they know that only doctors are amply knowledgeable about and that can help them properly? -_- Bleach isn't good stuff for the skin. At all.

Because this subforum is the health subforum where people can ask for advice relating to their health. Just because someone is posting here doesn't mean they're not planning to see their doctor as well.
Reply 5
Try washing your hands with soap????
Reply 6
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Get the **** off this forum and go to the doctors? How many people come and ask questions they know that only doctors are amply knowledgeable about and that can help them properly? -_- Bleach isn't good stuff for the skin. At all.

You can leave if you like, I'm not going to. 'Only doctors are amply knowledgeable' huh? You are so wrong... Sometimes ordinary people know better.

Original post by Philbert
I think you should seek help for your psychological issues.

In the meantime, the Body shop do some good thick nourishing ones, and I have a Garnier one that I use at work. Cocoa butter and coconut oil are good ingredients to look out for. I have to wash my hands often as I work in a lab, so I've tried all sorts of creams :P

It's not a psychological issue, it's simply a dislike. I just don't like the smell of food, and I don't want it to stain other things I touch, books, laptop, whatever, it just bothers me. I will try cocoa butter, thanks.

Original post by RFowler
I hope you're joking. Do not wash your hands with bleach.

I know it's bad for skin, don't do it often, just when I have to because regular stuff doesn't work well enough.
Reply 7
Deep Conditioning moisturisers should help. I fyou go to the GP they might be able to give you an idea of what to try.
Original post by Anonymous

It's not a psychological issue, it's simply a dislike. I just don't like the smell of food, and I don't want it to stain other things I touch, books, laptop, whatever, it just bothers me. I will try cocoa butter, thanks.

It sounds psychological to me. At least talk to someone, it's not good to use bleach on your hands ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Use this. It's cheap and works wonders. You can find it in boots.
Original post by moonkatt
Because this subforum is the health subforum where people can ask for advice relating to their health. Just because someone is posting here doesn't mean they're not planning to see their doctor as well.

You are right. I did overreact.
But please understand that I meant no evil, just say for example:
how about someone tells them to go get some sort of cream which somehow combined with bleach and starts to eat their skin?
It would be best to avoid it all and ask for free professional advice.

Sorry OP. I didn't post out spite, just that you really shouldn't take everything someone says on the internet as a the complete truth.
Reply 11
Original post by BobbieShamrock
It sounds psychological to me. At least talk to someone, it's not good to use bleach on your hands ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

+1

OP, your response to touching food and using chemicals afterwards is seriously excessive, there is nothing wrong with having the problem, but if you really wanna fix your hands why don't you get some help for the ocd?
I have OCD and I used to use bleach but you need to be aware that bleach + vinegar or ammonia = chlorine gas which will lead to an agonising and miserable protracted death.

I find vaseline is the best for quickly restoring moisture. Olive oil is best for actually restoring and repairing your skin.

Op you sound as if you have real OCD issues. Trust me when I say this it can get worse. Alot worse. Please seek help :-(

The problem with OCD is that the more you wash and do the rituals and compulsions the more pressing and urgent they become until they consume your entire life. Without therapy it gets progressively more serious until you cannot function at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey OP-I agree, this sounds like OCD.

Please seek treatment, as OCD is highly treatable and you will feel so free when these issues are sorted! x

Hand moisturiserswill help, but resolving the core issues will mean you won't be overwashing any more.
Good luck!
Go to the doctors, even if you don't get help with the root of the issue if they're anything like what mine get only steroid creams will really help. They can give you special moisturizers and hand washes too. Mention the bleach though, interactions can be dangerous. Good luck :smile:
Thank you for replies everyone.

Quick Reply