The Student Room Group

Can a tutor tell me he "doesn't want me in his class" because I was late?

Basically, I woke up this morning still sick with the flu because I have had it for 1 or 2 days and decided that Ill take a sick day off. When I got up at 9 (when lessons were due to start) I felt a little bit better and the fresh air helped and I needed to get some things anyway, so I decided to go to college and get what I needed afterwards. I have a double-lesson so I thought I would get in for the second and explain that I was sick, and still am.

I facebooked one of my mates and he said second lesson starts at 11 so I planned to get in for then. I only got out the front door at 11 though and because I was out of wifi range, I couldnt tell my mate to tell the tutor i was gonna be later, because I had already asked him to tell the tutor I was going to get in for 11.

I get in at nearly 12 and the tutors standing there laughing with my mates. I take my earphones out and he some-what drops the laughter and asks me to step back outside for a second in a serious voice. I say "Okay" and do so. 5 minutes later he comes out after continuing to joke with my mates and he straight out says "what time is this" and I explain that I'm sick and was worse this morning and that I only came in because I am behind. (Truth is, I tried to time it so that I got in for when his lesson finished so me and my mates could go on dinner break together and I was only interested in the lesson afterwards)

After listening to me he says "Well I'm going to be honest, I don't want you in the lesson, its an hour late and only half an hour left, I'm not having you in the lesson so I don't know what you want to do but you can't come in". It isn't the first time I have ever walked into a lesson late because I was sick, not that I do it regularly, but I don't think I've ever been told that before. I waited at the seating area by the entrance so my mates would pass me on the way out for dinner and when I asked they said they asked why he wouldn't let me in and he said I would be a distraction.

I'm struggling to see why I would be a distraction for a class that is already talking and messing around amongst themselves (including the tutor) in the first place. I'm not one of the loud excessively outgoing types, at least not in general, so I cant imagine why I would be a distraction, it seems from the way my friends said he said it, he was just looking for an excuse.

What I want to know is, does he have the right to say no, i dont want you in my class? or was this fair for him to do so?

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR: I did want to go to his lesson and I have nothing against his lesson. I made a decision to stay off but then reversed that decision later on. By this time, his lesson had started so I tried to time it for the second half of his lesson. When that failed, I made a decision whether to go in to his lesson late or not go at all and just wait for my mates. I chose to go to his lesson, only to find out I shouldn't of bothered.

I appreciate that you can stop someone because they are late, though. If you're going to reply, make sure you read every last sentence first, before passing judgement.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Totally fair for him to do so. If there was only half an hour left it would have been a pointless distraction.

Original post by jdfriend93
(Truth is, I tried to time it so that I got in for when his lesson finished so me and my mates could go on dinner break together and I was only interested in the lesson afterwards)

....Yeah. I think he's clearly in the wrong (!) Fair play to him for dealing with you in a quick no nonsense way.
Reply 2
You tried to skive his lesson, and it sounds like he knew it. Good for him.
Basically, I woke up this morning still sick with the flu because I have had it for 1 or 2 days and decided that Ill take a sick day off. When I got up at 9 (when lessons were due to start) I felt a little bit better and the fresh air helped and I needed to get some things anyway, so I decided to go to college and get what I needed afterwards. I have a double-lesson so I thought I would get in for the second and explain that I was sick, and still am.

I facebooked one of my mates and he said second lesson starts at 11 so I planned to get in for then. I only got out the front door at 11 though and because I was out of wifi range, I couldnt tell my mate to tell the tutor i was gonna be later, because I had already asked him to tell the tutor I was going to get in for 11.

I get in at nearly 12 and the tutors standing there laughing with my mates. I take my earphones out and he some-what drops the laughter and asks me to step back outside for a second in a serious voice. I say "Okay" and do so. 5 minutes later he comes out after continuing to joke with my mates and he straight out says "what time is this" and I explain that I'm sick and was worse this morning and that I only came in because I am behind. (Truth is, I tried to time it so that I got in for when his lesson finished so me and my mates could go on dinner break together and I was only interested in the lesson afterwards)

After listening to me he says "Well I'm going to be honest, I don't want you in the lesson, its an hour late and only half an hour left, I'm not having you in the lesson so I don't know what you want to do but you can't come in". It isn't the first time I have ever walked into a lesson late because I was sick, not that I do it regularly, but I don't think I've ever been told that before. I waited at the seating area by the entrance so my mates would pass me on the way out for dinner and when I asked they said they asked why he wouldn't let me in and he said I would be a distraction.

I'm struggling to see why I would be a distraction for a class that is already talking and messing around amongst themselves (including the tutor) in the first place. I'm not one of the loud excessively outgoing types, at least not in general, so I cant imagine why I would be a distraction, it seems from the way my friends said he said it, he was just looking for an excuse.

What I want to know is, does he have the right to say no, i dont want you in my class? or was this fair for him to do so?

It doesn't sound very fair to me, but he's probably allowed to do that. At my college last year the policy was to not let students in if they're more than ten minutes late.
But since you didn't really want to go to the lesson anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course he can. Be on time next time.
If you were one hour late to a 90 minute lesson because you didn't want to get to school any earlier, it's totally justified. If you don't care enough about his lesson to get there on time, then he shouldn't have to chase you around. Good for him - I think schools need more teachers that are willing to clamp down on lazy behaviour... sorry. It's one thing if you're ten minutes late to a lesson because your car broke down (for example), but an hour late with no good excuse is kind of taking the p*** TBH.
Reply 6
Original post by somemightsay888
Totally fair for him to do so. If there was only half an hour left it would have been a pointless distraction.

....Yeah. I think he's clearly in the wrong (!) Fair play to him for dealing with you in a quick no nonsense way.

Yes but a distraction from what? noone was actually doing work. This isnt a room were there are rows and rows of tables laid out and the professor stands at the front lecturing every second of the lesson, everything silent and orderly, this is a room were there are computers running up the left and right walls of the class room, there are several corners where, once the tutor has given a small introduction to the lesson, everyone chats and messes around loudly amongst themselves, including the tutor, and thats the ones who arent crowded around one computer looking at vines or funny videos on youtube. My point is that nobody would notice, in a UK community college, it is laid back.
Reply 7
Original post by Arkasia
You tried to skive his lesson, and it sounds like he knew it. Good for him.

Nope, i tried to get in for the second part of his lesson. Once I knew I was going to be so late I made a choice between skyving his lesson completely by not going to the last half an hour, or go to the last half an hour and apologise for being late. It wasnt my intention to miss his class, if it was, I wouldnt of went to it.
It happens every now and then at my uni. One of my lecturers tells people to turn around and get out when they come in 10-15 minutes late. The nerve to turn up an entire hour late... I can't imagine what he'd do lol. You might as well stay at home at that point. You do have cojones for turning up though.
Yes but a distraction from what? noone was actually doing work. This isnt a room were there are rows and rows of tables laid out and the professor stands at the front lecturing every second of the lesson, everything silent and orderly, this is a room were there are computers running up the left and right walls of the class room, there are several corners where, once the tutor has given a small introduction to the lesson, everyone chats and messes around loudly amongst themselves, including the tutor, and thats the ones who arent crowded around one computer looking at vines or funny videos on youtube. My point is that nobody would notice, in a UK community college, it is laid back.

If no one was doing work why are you bothered you didn't miss anything next time don't go in at the end of a lesson and you won't get #Rekt #Owned #TutorPower
Reply 10
Original post by Youis Trollin
If no one was doing work why are you bothered you didn't miss anything next time don't go in at the end of a lesson and you won't get #Rekt #Owned #TutorPower

lol I'm not bothered about the lesson, just the way he said completely unexpectedly to me in the main corridor infront of people
lol I'm not bothered about the lesson, just the way he said completely unexpectedly to me in the main corridor infront of people

Fair enough let me tutor you on something my old tutor said to me when we went to Xzibt's art exhibit. "Yo Dawg heard you like Tutors So we put a Tutor in a Tutor in a Tutor, Tutors gonna Tute!"
(edited 9 years ago)
(Truth is, I tried to time it so that I got in for when his lesson finished so me and my mates could go on dinner break together and I was only interested in the lesson afterwards)

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR: I did want to go to his lesson

Contradiction?

I've been in a lesson before when someone showed up fairly close to the end and the lecturer turned them away. They might say it's a distraction but mainly it's because they can't believe how rude that person is. If they distract anyone it's them because they're so bothered by it. It IS rude. They make a lesson plan, or at least take the time to hold the lesson and someone decides not to bother until the end? Even if everyone was messing around, either show up or don't.
Reply 13
Original post by sliceofcake
Contradiction?

I've been in a lesson before when someone showed up fairly close to the end and the lecturer turned them away. They might say it's a distraction but mainly it's because they can't believe how rude that person is. If they distract anyone it's them because they're so bothered by it. It IS rude. They make a lesson plan, or at least take the time to hold the lesson and someone decides not to bother until the end? Even if everyone was messing around, either show up or don't.

Contradiction: Denied. If you were to read on after the "I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR" paragraph, you will notice that I wanted to get to his lesson originally, but after taking too long to arrive at college, it would of been more convenient to arrive after the lesson finished, effectively wiping out my problem. That is why I originally wanted to get there after the lesson and focus on the next lesson.
Reply 14
I swear half of you people aren't actually reading it fully along with all the replies I've made. In short, I was sick. I decided not to go in. Later on, I decided I would go in because I was behind on work. It took longer to get into college but I got in as fast as the bus could take me. I planned on getting in at 11, but I got in at 12. I had a decision to make:
1. Go into college, but wait at the seating area until the lesson was over, hiding in case the tutor left the room and saw me skiving.
2. Bite the bullet and go into lesson late and apologise. That way I'm where I'm supposed to be and not skiving.
With the attitude "better late than never", I decided the honest option was best for once. Then, I was reminded why I don't always choose the honest option and why honesty apparently isn't always the best policy.
I swear half of you people aren't actually reading it fully along with all the replies I've made. In short, I was sick. I decided not to go in. Later on, I decided I would go in because I was behind on work. It took longer to get into college but I got in as fast as the bus could take me. I planned on getting in at 11, but I got in at 12. I had a decision to make:
1. Go into college, but wait at the seating area until the lesson was over, hiding in case the tutor left the room and saw me skiving.
2. Bite the bullet and go into lesson late and apologise. That way I'm where I'm supposed to be and not skiving.
With the attitude "better late than never", I decided the honest option was best for once. Then, I was reminded why I don't always choose the honest option and why honesty apparently isn't always the best policy.

Okay, let's argue that I didn't read your post correctly. I can read your title. Yes he can say that. If you really don't believe me or agree with me, then perhaps talk to another tutor or someone above said tutor and talk to them about it. The end of your issue. Get better soon.
(edited 9 years ago)
right well-

you should kind of be in time next time right
Reply 17
I give up.
Reply 18
Joke. I do believe you, he has the right to turn me away, its not the first time those rules of been enforced by schools, colleges and universities, tbh, I knew he had the right to but it was the way he did it. Idk why but I think I was just p*ssed off and blowing off steam, even though its not like I missed anything in the lesson, its just frustrating when people answer your questions in a short manner without reading fully just to gain some sort of reputational gain from the website, like they do on Y!Answers, not that I am referring to you directly.
ohh well mate

you should have gone to yr personal tutor or head of year

well also same happens to me im like yeah im getting out at 7.30am but get out at 8.10 so i be late

just make the exucuse of the bus and then show yr bus ticket to say it came late like it will say the time right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending