The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amflo
I have an interview on that day aswell for Geology!

Are you guys doing anything in particular to prepare for the interview? Because I don't know what to expect

Also what are you going to wear?:confused:

Well done! I'm also completely clueless about what to expect. I've scoured last year's Earth Sciences thread and it seems that the interview completely depends on who's interviewing you. Some people apparently got a complete academic grilling, others seemed to have a leisurely conversation about their interests. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I'm going to go crazy for preparation. I'll definitely try to have a few mock interviews and obviously prepare answers for the obvious questions but I don't really have anyone to practice interviews with because I don't know anyone who knows anything about geology ): Which is a real shame.

I'm not going to dress formally. I wanted to go in jeans but apparently that's inappropriate so I'll probably be going in normal trousers, a shirt and a jacket. I'm definitely not going to go in a suit (although I'd guess a lot of people would).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by Chlorophile
You've got an interview? I didn't know Bristol did interviews for Geoscience!

Oh sorry my mistake I must have replied to the wrong comment! I thought you were talking about the interviews at Imperial on the 12th of November.

But I did get an offer from Bristol for Geology.
Original post by amflo
Oh sorry my mistake I must have replied to the wrong comment! I thought you were talking about the interviews at Imperial on the 12th of November.

But I did get an offer from Bristol for Geology.

No it's my mistake, someone was just discussing Bristol with me so I didn't make the connection that you were talking about Imperial! I've edited my comment above with a response. And again well done (for both offers!).
Reply 163
No it's my mistake, someone was just discussing Bristol with me so I didn't make the connection that you were talking about Imperial! I've edited my comment above with a response. And again well done (for both offers!).

Congratulations to you too for your offers!

I'm also struggling with finding someone to discuss geology with as I don't know anyone who is interested in geology and when I do ask someone about it they just say how they think that studying rocks would be so boring. haha
Original post by amflo
Congratulations to you too for your offers!

I'm also struggling with finding someone to discuss geology with as I don't know anyone who is interested in geology and when I do ask someone about it they just say how they think that studying rocks would be so boring. haha

Precisely the reaction I get ): Either that or some dreadful rock pun.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 165
Precisely the reaction I get ): Either that or some dreadful rock pun.

Everyone told me to put "Geology rocks!" at the end of my personal statement...
Original post by amflo
Everyone told me to put "Geology rocks!" at the end of my personal statement...

Someone told me that today... I really need to come up with some genuinely good Geology jokes to be honest to counter those dreadful attempts.
Reply 167
Someone told me that today... I really need to come up with some genuinely good Geology jokes to be honest to counter those dreadful attempts.

Haha I'll let you know if I find any.
Original post by Beccakatie
Hey, what universities did you apply to? Did any require an interview because I have recently got an interview request from Manchester and I was hoping you could tell me what the interviews were like in general? or the applicant days?

I applied to Kingston, Portsmouth, Brighton and Plymouth as well as Exeter. I didn't have any interviews for them so I can't help you I'm afraid :/
Original post by amflo
I have an interview on that day aswell for Geology!

Are you guys doing anything in particular to prepare for the interview? Because I don't know what to expect

Also what are you going to wear?:confused:

Like Chlorophile said, im gonna prepare for obvious answers and do some practice interviews, but otherwise nothing else.

I am going to wear a suit, just because my school suggested I do, but I dont reckon it really matters cos im sure there will be loads of people wearing different stuff.
Original post by RSS_100
Hey, what do they generally ask about in the interviews (for Imperial in particular if you applied there)

At Imperial they asked me one question at the end about this graph with some derivatives on, nothing very difficult, the rest of the interview was just talking about which aspects of Earth Science I was interested in and what my hobbies were, so it was an informal interview really and it was just like a friendly chat with one problem at the end. They do assess you at interview at Imperial, but I think it is a very small part. At Oxford, interviews are completely different, but for Imperial they could ask you a maths question or a science question depending upon which sciences you did :smile:
Reply 171
Original post by TheHutster
At Imperial they asked me one question at the end about this graph with some derivatives on, nothing very difficult, the rest of the interview was just talking about which aspects of Earth Science I was interested in and what my hobbies were, so it was an informal interview really and it was just like a friendly chat with one problem at the end. They do assess you at interview at Imperial, but I think it is a very small part. At Oxford, interviews are completely different, but for Imperial they could ask you a maths question or a science question depending upon which sciences you did :smile:

Thanks a lot for the info! Doesn't sound too daunting, but then again I guess it depends on what sort of interviewer you get.
Not looking forward to Wednesday ):
Not looking forward to Wednesday ):

Why?:frown::confused:
Original post by Imranfr0
Why?:frown::confused:

Interview ):
Interview ):

Oh... :frown: Good luck anyway!!! :goodluck:
Original post by Imranfr0
Oh... :frown: Good luck anyway!!! :goodluck:

Thanks. And well done for getting your application sent off, just noticed it in University connect :smile:
Thanks. And well done for getting your application sent off, just noticed it in University connect :smile:

Thank you too :smile:! Let's see how much time it takes to get any offers xD
Yikes, I'm very nervous. I'm applying for Imperial (Geology), UCL (Geology), Southampton (Geology + Study Abroad), Royal Holloway (Geosciences + Year Abroad) and Porstmouth (Palaeontology). My predicted grades are A*AA, and I really hope that's enough, seeing as some people have A*A*A and A*A*A*. I really hope I get into Imperial, their Rio Tinto Scholarship is so good, plus the year abroad in MIT, Harvard or UC Berkley is a once in a lifetime experience.

My UCAS hasn't been sent off yet due to teachers taking their time. So I'm pretty much panicking LOL. Congrats on the interview, tell us how it goes!
Well good luck tomorrow to all the concerned individuals. Tomorrow will not be a fun day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending