The Student Room Group

Degree needed to become a Criminal Investigator

Hello. I need to know what degree I'd need to become a Criminal Investigator. Also, could you please tell me the annual salary for one in the UK? Thanks!

My A Levels:

Geography: B
Biology: B
Health and Social Care: A*
History: B
Criminal Investigator sounds like a really cool job, but I dont know what degree you would want - maybe try and email/contact members of the profession and ask how they got into the job?
Reply 2
im thinking of doing the same thing. from what I know you could do a degree in forensic science since you got a B in biology or you can choose crime and investigative studies which is for people who don't have the qualifications to do forensic science. you can also go to the national careers service for more information about your options.
Criminology or forensic Science. However, to actually be a Criminal Investigator you'll need to be a serving police officer (officer, not Special or PCSO) for a minimum of 2 years. At this time you'll then have the ability to sit the detectives and investigations exams (when they're open) and having passed that, you'll then start at the bottom learning how to investigate crimes.

So to recap; relevant degree and joining the force. 3 years for your degree and 2 years in uniform before you get the chance to be an investigator.

Good look.
Original post by iShiny
Hello. I need to know what degree I'd need to become a Criminal Investigator. Also, could you please tell me the annual salary for one in the UK? Thanks!

My A Levels:

Geography: B
Biology: B
Health and Social Care: A*
History: B

Hiya!!!
I'm also wanting to be a criminal investigator!!
I'm applying to 5 Universities doing Criminal Investigation with Poling, as you need 2/3 years in the police force before becoming an investigator it is important to do a degree joint with policing as you need a CKP (certificate of knowledge of policing) to join the police choose a uni which offers this.
I'm applying to Bucks New Uni, Chester, Canterbury Church, UCLAN and De Montfort ( however de Montfort doesn't offer the CKP with the criminal investigator route which is putting me off).

Your a levels are fine, you don't need science like i saw somebody mention, most of the unis I've looked at are around 240-280 ucas points, UCLAN is ABB-BBC which is the highest I've seen!

Good luck and if you need to know anything else, let me know! :smile:
im at bucks new uni, Id recomend the foundation degree because its 2 years long and you train as a special whilst at uni. once you have finished uni you can develop your career. If you're looking for a more theoretical degree with no practical involved you can train as a special in 2nd year of uni as a module.

my degree is policing with criminal investigation. I wish Id done the 2 year degree they are completely different!
Original post by carachannel
im at bucks new uni, Id recomend the foundation degree because its 2 years long and you train as a special whilst at uni. once you have finished uni you can develop your career. If you're looking for a more theoretical degree with no practical involved you can train as a special in 2nd year of uni as a module.

my degree is policing with criminal investigation. I wish Id done the 2 year degree they are completely different!

Hiya!
Just wondering if you enjoy the course & the Uni as atm that is my number 1 choice...
Also , whats the accommodation like if you live there... thank you! :smile:
Original post by georgiamaesmith
Hiya!
Just wondering if you enjoy the course & the Uni as atm that is my number 1 choice...
Also , whats the accommodation like if you live there... thank you! :smile:

In my opinion the degree is good for a great basis of understanding using a theoretical perspective.
The first year modules consist of; (im aware modules are/have changed
Police crime and media (This one I found most challenging but after several months it gets very interesting) Read up on Jewkes
Investigating identity
Criminal Law And Justice
Introduction To Policing

Accommodation I lived in Hughdenden, Its clean tidy and you live with 6 people. Make loads of friends and go to lots of parties. Can sign people in before 10pm and they can stay. Id say go there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending