The Student Room Group

Why is marijuana illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by watchmen98
Dude, how did cannabis get into this equation.
Cannabis is certainly a very harmful product. And my argument is not that because of X is less harmful than Y, Y should be legalised. My argument is that the governments point of view and reasoning is irrelevant. Their reasoning of banning marijuana is due to the nature of marijuana being dangerous compared to smoking and drinking. Which is not true. Therefore their argument and reasoning is irrelevant.

See the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drug's Report on Cannabis, here. Their reasoning is not that it is more harmful than legal drugs, so to claim that to be the case is a strawman argument; it is false.

Original post by SophieSmall
To be fair none of those studies actually showed cannabis to be the cause of the mental health issues, first rule of scientific studies correlation DOES NOT equal causation.

So then, cigarettes cannot be said to be the cause of multiple cancers, as only a casual link exists between cause and effect [1].

Casual relationships should not be discarded when there is a wealth of evidence to suggest a link.
Reply 41
Because a lot of politicians around the world are scientifically illiterate!
Because it can kill.
Original post by Yeah dude
Studies actually suggest it can cure an inability to quickscope

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is why Faze use it at all MLG tournaments. Also it is in the MLG rules that it is allowed just like caffeine is.
Original post by pjm600
See the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drug's Report on Cannabis, here. Their reasoning is not that it is more harmful than legal drugs, so to claim that to be the case is a strawman argument; it is false.

So then, cigarettes cannot be said to be the cause of multiple cancers, as only a casual link exists between cause and effect [1].

Casual relationships should not be discarded when there is a wealth of evidence to suggest a link.

You do realise what you just said right? CAUSAL links, as in CAUSATION not just correlation :facepalm2:
Original post by WeedCanKill
Because it can kill.

So can Buses thats why i want buses banned!
You do realise what you just said right? CAUSAL links, as in CAUSATION not just correlation :facepalm2:

You.... I love you! Finally someone who gets it.

Yeah Statistics
Original post by WeedCanKill
Because it can kill.

Oh Please!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are you even hearing yourself?
Reply 48

Err, yes. A casual link is where variables X and Y are correlated, but no causal link has been established.
Original post by pjm600
Err, yes. A casual link is where variables X and Y are correlated, but no causal link has been established.

English please.
Original post by pjm600

What is the gov rationale as to why they have illegalised it?
To be fair, it does seem that drug law is based entirely on profit. Laws seem almost arbitrary with relevance to public health and well being (which is I assume the OP's point).
Reply 51
Original post by hellodave5
To be fair, it does seem that drug law is based entirely on profit. Laws seem almost arbitrary with relevance to public health and well being (which is I assume the OP's point).

While reading government reports is not my preferred bed time reading, I think the main points are outlined in 13.4.1, which is....

"The most worrying individual harms are the effects on mental health
but, since the Council’s previous review the evidence has become more,
rather than less, confused. Although there is a consistent (though weak)
association, from longitudinal studies, between cannabis use and the
development of psychotic illness, this is not reflected in the available
evidence on the incidence of psychotic conditions. The most likely (but
not the only) explanation is that cannabis in the population as a whole
plays only a modest role in the development of these conditions. The
possibility that the greater use of cannabis preparations with a higher
THC content might increase the harmfulness of cannabis to mental
health cannot be denied; but the behaviour of cannabis users, in the
face of stronger products as well as the magnitude of a causal
association with psychotic illnesses is uncertain."

So essentially the mental health side of things.

There's certainly grounds to say cannabis is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol.
Reply 52
Original post by pjm600

We need to consider cannabis independently. Regular cannabis is linked to a fivefold increase in depression and anxiety rates [1,3,4], can lead to dependence [2], can lead to an increased susceptibility to psychotic disorders [3], significantly elevated risk of mental disorder [5], increased motor accident risk [6], sixfold increase in risk of schizophrenia [7] and can lead to difficulties integrating into society [8].

WALOB, you're well aware that its a load of scaremongering *******s, why you gotta be such a bigot?
Reply 53
Original post by n00
WALOB, you're well aware that its a load of scaremongering *******s, why you gotta be such a bigot?

Again with the bigot card, again I have no idea where you get the idea from that I'm a bigot.

Again I'll say I don't see why thinking cannabis should remain illegal makes me a bigot, let's do this whole argument again....
Marujana was made illegal because it was used disproportionally amongst the poor and minorities.

They made up some rubbish about it at the behest of various companies like Big Tobacco.

That led to the mass importation of cocaine, heroin and then eventually crack.
Original post by pjm600
While reading government reports is not my preferred bed time reading, I think the main points are outlined in 13.4.1, which is....

"The most worrying individual harms are the effects on mental health
but, since the Council’s previous review the evidence has become more,
rather than less, confused. Although there is a consistent (though weak)
association, from longitudinal studies, between cannabis use and the
development of psychotic illness, this is not reflected in the available
evidence on the incidence of psychotic conditions. The most likely (but
not the only) explanation is that cannabis in the population as a whole
plays only a modest role in the development of these conditions. The
possibility that the greater use of cannabis preparations with a higher
THC content might increase the harmfulness of cannabis to mental
health cannot be denied; but the behaviour of cannabis users, in the
face of stronger products as well as the magnitude of a causal
association with psychotic illnesses is uncertain."

So essentially the mental health side of things.

There's certainly grounds to say cannabis is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol.

Thanks for that mate. I would have read but my brain is dying from essays, gonna tune out for bed myself too.

I remember seeing in the literature a fairly poor link, but consistent, link between cannabis and psychosis.

Though I also remember, vaguely, that being born in early year (like Feb for myself) and to play chess (I'm doomed?), are also markers with small links to psychosis (something to do with pre-natal nutrition and developmental processes making you more likely to play chess, or something).

It really annoys me that cigarettes are legal, though, as they have been found to be the most addictive of all drugs... whilst I would be a party pooper and love to put the age limit to 21 in bars and nightclubs (not sure how that works in practice tho) - the amount of stupid crap I have done whilst drunk in my younger years.
Reply 56
Original post by pjm600
Again with the bigot card, again I have no idea where you get the idea from that I'm a bigot.

Again I'll say I don't see why thinking cannabis should remain illegal makes me a bigot, let's do this whole argument again....

Yeah that's right i remember you, you always trun up in these kind of threads but your objections always seem entirely baseless so I can only assume it must be down to prejudice.

Because the Government are generally made of people that have been indoctrinated by years of anti Marujana propaganda.

If you look at the statistics the greatest opposition to Marujana is from the older age groups that really have no clue about Marujana.

Because the Government are generally made of people that have been indoctrinated by years of anti weed propaganda.

They believe all the scare stories about how if they legalise weed then every teenager will become a pot head and eventually a crack smoker.

That is really coming to an end now. In the next few years weed will be legalised.
Original post by AlphaMolecule
evidence? you may as well say the Bible is proof of God, you tripped up at the most fundamental hurdle my little friend.

I know, hence why I made fun of your personal anecdote in that way...

Are you high? Or maybe you can't control your drink as much as you think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending