The Student Room Group

Would you date a transgender person? Poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
Yes, it is.

"Would you date any transgendered person" is incredibly clear, and you would say yes, you would.

I would say no, I wouldn't.

Simple.

But there are multiple ways of interpreting the question.

If you take the question to mean "Is there any transgendered person who you would date?" then your answer can be completely different to if you take it to mean "Would you date every single transgendered person?"

If you think that there is no difference then I have two questions for you.

1) Is there any woman on this planet who you would date?
2) Would you date every single woman on this planet?

I can actually answer those questions for you:

1) Yes.
2) No.

Yes there are women who you would date but no you wouldn't date every single woman. Both questions formed from different interpretations of the base question "would you date any woman" but due to interpretation having two very different meanings and requiring a different answer.
Original post by JC.
No, I'm not homosexual.

These people can call themselves what they like, but playing dress up and mutilating yourself doesn't change your gender. That's something that is fixed.

Well you're an ignorant one aren't you?
Original post by askew116
My point was that it's not just a yes or no answer

Well, it is though. It's like, if someone asked whether you'd date a person of a race outside yours it'd be ridiculous to reply 'well I answered no, as I'm gay so would only date guys from that race not girls ... And of course it depends on the person'.
Original post by mackemforever

If you take the question to mean "Is there any transgendered person who you would date?" then your answer can be completely different to if you take it to mean "Would you date every single transgendered person?"

1) Yes.
2) No.

Yes there are women who you would date but no you wouldn't date every single woman. Both questions formed from different interpretations of the base question "would you date any woman" but due to interpretation having two very different meanings and requiring a different answer.

Thank you - this is what I was trying to get at. You've put it much more eloquently than I have! :smile:
Yes in theory, no idea in practice.

And no.
I don't see what it is people have against trans people. People who have problems with them need to learn to grow up!

If a guy wants to be a woman, because he would feel comfortable in a woman's body then we need to treat her with respect and call her a she. Yes and not really transphobic, but misinformed.
Yep, and I think it's probably transphobic to rule it out.
nope I want kids, and honestly I'd find it a wee bit weird.
Original post by mackemforever

1) Yes.
2) No.

I think it's pretty obvious which one was meant.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I don't see what it is people have against trans people. People who have problems with them need to learn to grow up!

If a guy wants to be a woman, because he would feel comfortable in a woman's body then we need to treat her with respect and call her a she. Yes and not really transphobic, but misinformed.

I think it's less people having problem with the people per se, more disagreeing with the whole practice of surgery to 'fix' your body. It's essentially another form of cosmetic surgery, just like a breast augmentation if a woman feels unhappy with the breasts she has.
Some of the replies on this thread are completely disgusting and ignorant.
I suggest people look up the sex/gender distinction and also educate themselves about transgender people if they want to claim any sort of right to have an opinion on the matter. I'm not an expert on the subject myself, but some of the rubbish people are coming out with on here is just really ****ing stupid and hurtful. Being transgender is not a 'mental illness', transitioning is not getting 'plastic surgery' and you do not have to be homosexual to date a transgender person.
Original post by joker12345
I think it's less people having problem with the people per se, more disagreeing with the whole practice of surgery to 'fix' your body. It's essentially another form of cosmetic surgery, just like a breast augmentation if a woman feels unhappy with the breasts she has .

Lol, can you hear yourself? Try telling that to someone who has actually been through or is going through the struggle for acceptance.
Original post by XxelliexX
I suggest people look up the sex/gender distinction and also educate themselves about transgender people if they want to claim any sort of right to have an opinion on the matter. I'm not an expert on the subject myself, but some of the rubbish people are coming out with on here is just really ****ing stupid and hurtful. Being transgender is not a 'mental illness', transitioning is not getting 'plastic surgery' and you do not have to be homosexual to date a transgender person.

Hi-5! Someone who understands!!! (I'm not trans btw, I'm an ally :smile: well trans ally, not an LGBT one as I am actually LGBT haha :P )

No one is claiming they disrespect them, its just we would rather not have a sexual relationship with them. Also no matter how you view it they are either a male or a female from birth and can not change it. If they have XX chromosome = Female. XY= Male. Society does not have the power to change this basic concept. They should be referred to as a female or a male in a male female physique instead.
Original post by Azurefeline
Yes, I think so (although how would I know, without being in that situation?) It also depends on them as a person etc, not just what they are.

If you don't want to date a trans person I wouldn't say that's transphobic - how you treat them would though. If you talk **** about them and generally refuse to accept them on no grounds other than sexuality, you're transphobic.

How does it feel to be a bisexual?
Lol, can you hear yourself? Try telling that to someone who has actually been through or is going through the struggle for acceptance.

Hi-5! Someone who understands!!! (I'm not trans btw, I'm an ally :smile: well trans ally, not an LGBT one as I am actually LGBT haha :P )

*sigh*, yes, I can hear myself. Try addressing what I said instead of getting personal/defensive. Both situations are someone being unhappy with their body. Why, in one scenario, do we suggest therapy and in the other we suggest surgery? In general, if someone is unhappy with their body we preach body acceptance - love the skin you're in, everyone is beautiful etc. I simply don't see why we deviate from that here.

Having done the research I can conclude a transgender is still biologically and genetically the same sex as they were born. A few surgical procedures and hormonal therapies that need to be taken constantly to suppress your natural hormones does not change your sex. A male who chooses to become a female has breast implants for Larger breasts, mutilated penis turned in ways to create a rough vaginal structure and hormone suppressers to reduce growth of pubic hair. This is among the many common techniques. The transgender does not even have ovaries and requires IFV to conceive.
I said no but it's more a case of probably not; I've never been in that situation and even imagining it I'm unsure if I could completely rule it out.

Somebody has already responded to this well, but as it seems to have been directed at me I'll respond too. On what basis have you decided that it isn't a mental illness? Essentially, there is a body and mind mismatch. Usually when this happens we consider it a mental issue and try to help the mind rather than change the body. And as the other poster has already explained, it is essentially a plastic surgery. Men would have breast implants to get breasts. The genitalia is surgically altered. I'll agree on the last one though, dating a trans person wouldn't make you homosexual.
Original post by joker12345
On what basis have you decided that it isn't a mental illness? Essentially, there is a body and mind mismatch. Usually when this happens we consider it a mental issue and try to help the mind rather than change the body.

Haven't read the thread but I agree with this. I think it's reasonable to define a circumstance in which your software is protesting against your hardware as a malfunction of some sort.

Re actual practical response to transsexuals, I've always tended to use whatever pronouns etc have made people happy, because I've never really fundamentally cared and so seen no reason to cause offence, but it's at least possible, I think, that that's simply collaborating in and encouraging a mental disorder, as the author of this article (infinitely more qualified than I, in that he's at all qualified) might claim: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

Then again, for all I know there are many more people, also infinitely more qualified than I, who would say that it's not a mental illness or that, in any event, general acquiescence in the individual's changed understanding of their own gender and, later, surgery is a proper response. I'm not qualified to say. I am qualified to observe, however, that this is one of those instances in which most people don't really consider the issue because they're either completely against anything that seems weird or super keen to show everyone how accepting and liberal they are.

To answer the actual question, no, I'd be uncomfortable with that.

So enlighten us. On precisely what points should we educate ourselves, and where exactly can we find the necessary materials? Can you back up anything you've said in any way? Precisely how well-educated do you have to be on the matter to have an opinion? Because the chap in the article I linked is pretty well-educated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Absolutley ****ing not.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending