The Student Room Group

Who is the best footballer in history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
wtf is the world championship :o::confused: (...)

I meant the world cup.

Original post by Wilfred Little
(...)

Zidane was poor for years before he retired.

Iniesta has actually pissed all over Zidane by the way. Far more consistent and generally a better footballer to watch. (...)

More consistent, okay in this point I agree. But better to watch? this thesis is controversial. As measured by the individual actions I still prefer Zidane's play.
Original post by sr90
What happened to him? Not seen him on here for a while.

Don't know. Was active 8 hours ago but his last post was weeks ago.
I think nostalgia is playing funny tricks on a lot of people. Fat Ronaldo and Ronaldinho tend to get overrated in these polls. Ronaldinho was the most entertaining player; his touch was wonderful, but nobody can change the game like Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.

In my lifetime;

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Messi
[Huge Gap]
3) Zidane
4) Henry
[Big gap]
5) Ronaldinho
6) Ronaldo
7) Iniesta
8) Maldini

Original post by Lewlath
Has to be Ronaldo, he's always improving unlike almost any other player, who when peaks slowly slide down the pecking order. I do think Messi and Maradona ect are more talented but talent doesn't mean you're the best.

I agree. Messi, Zidane, Ronaldinho and Iniesta all have more natural talent than Cristiano Ronaldo. But Cristiano's work-ethic and professionalism destroys the rest. I think he's a fantastic role model.

For the nostalgic people that are saying Ronaldo>C.Ronaldo:

Fat Ronaldo: 111 goals in 193 games for Real Madrid.
Cristiano Ronaldo: 274 goals in 261 games for Real Madrid.

It's not even close.
Reply 103
Original post by Manchester United
I think nostalgia is playing funny tricks on a lot of people. Fat Ronaldo and Ronaldinho tend to get overrated in these polls. Ronaldinho was the most entertaining player; his touch was wonderful, but nobody can change the game like Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.

In my lifetime;

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Messi
[Huge Gap]
3) Zidane
4) Henry
[Big gap]
5) Ronaldinho
6) Ronaldo
7) Iniesta
8) Maldini

I agree. Messi, Zidane, Ronaldinho and Iniesta all have more natural talent than Cristiano Ronaldo. But Cristiano's work-ethic and professionalism destroys the rest. I think he's a fantastic role model.

It's not even close.

CR7 is not better the Messi. His acheivements are not comparable to Messi and he is 2.5 years younger.
Original post by al_94
CR7 is not better the Messi. His acheivements are not comparable to Messi and he is 2.5 years younger.

Great argument. I'll edit my post right now.
Reply 105
Great argument. I'll edit my post right now.

Are you a CR7 fanboy?
Original post by Clip
Best
Cruyff
Zidane
van Basten
Maradona
Schmeichel
Skinny RonaldoI
Messi
Eusebio
Di Stefano

I would even put Klinsmann, Matthaus and Dino Zoff above Pele.

I might even put Fat Ronaldo above Pele.

Complete joke of a post.
Original post by al_94
Are you a CR7 fanboy?

No.

Are you?
Reply 108
Original post by Mackay
LOL @ Ronaldinho having so many votes.

Don't piss me off. Ronaldinho was the most talented footballer to have ever graced the game. He wasn't the best scorer but he didn't need to be. He was electric on the ball and nobody was as entertaining and better to watch as he was.
crying at the amount of messi votes
I came to make sure you had included Eusebio, one of the forgotten men of football.

My vote for these things tends to go to Ronaldinho (wins via nostalgia) or Zinedine Kilbane, the man - the legend.

Internationals aside, I don't think I've watched a game of football in the last 5 years.
Reply 111
Messi without a doubt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sex God
Don't piss me off. Ronaldinho was the most talented footballer to have ever graced the game. He wasn't the best scorer but he didn't need to be. He was electric on the ball and nobody was as entertaining and better to watch as he was.

Well then it depends how you define 'best footballer'. I agree that Ronaldinho was the most entertaining and one of the most talented (I think Messi is the most talented), but that doesn't make him the best footballer (based on my definition of 'best footballer').
Reply 113

You better watch your mouth m8. There are great players like Messi and C. Ronaldo, and then there's godly players like Ronaldinho. You just can't learn how to play football like Ronaldinho. He is the greatest footballer ever and nobody else comes close.
Reply 114
No.

Are you?

No I am not but why do you think CR7 is better than Messi?

It's not even close.

Ronaldo at Barcelona and his early years at Inter was miles better than anything he showed at Madrid. Very convenient how you post a load of stats, but deliberately leave out the ones from his best years when he was averaging a goal per game. Injuries completely ruined his career.

Original post by al_94
No I am not but why do you think CR7 is better than Messi?

Are you asking me why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Messi right now? Or why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Messi overall?
Ronaldo R9 best striker ever.
Original post by sr90
Ronaldo at Barcelona and his early years at Inter was miles better than anything he showed at Madrid. Very convenient how you post a load of stats, but deliberately leave out the ones from his best years when he was averaging a goal per game. Injuries completely ruined his career.

Reread my post. I said 'in my lifetime'. I was too young to watch Ronaldo for Barcelona.

You still can't compare him to Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. They've dominated football for seven years at the highest level (and are still going!).
Reply 119
Are you asking me why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Messi right now? Or why I think Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Messi overall?

We are talking about best footballer in history so that means all time

Quick Reply

Latest