The Student Room Group

Mother of 11 month old baby raped by ex boyfriend doesn't want him executed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-penalty.html

Mother of 11-month-old baby raped and murdered campaigns for killer to be SPARED the death penalty
Shonda Waller's eleven-month-old daughter Adrianna Waller was raped and killed in 1997
Charles Warner was convicted of rape and first-degree murder and is now on death row
Waller has said that Warner should spend the rest of his life behind bars instead of be executed by the state of Oklahoma

Mother: Shonda Waller, pictured, has said Charles Warner, who was convicted of raping and killing her daughter, should spend the rest of his life behind bars as opposed to being killed

Victim: Adrianna Waller, pictured, was killed by Warner

Death row inmate: Charles Warner's execution is planned for this January

A woman whose eleven-month-old daughter was raped and killed by her then-boyfriend in 1997 does not want the Oklahoma man responsible to be executed, it has emerged.

Shonda Waller said death row inmate Charles Warner should instead spend the rest of his life behind bars in a recent interview with KFOR.

'If they truly want to honor me, then they will do away with the death penalty for him, and they will give him life in prison without the possibility of parole, because that's the only thing that's gonna honor me,' she told the affiliate station. 'I can only see him spending the rest of his life in prison and dying in prison, without him ever walking out of those cell walls.'

Warner, whose execution is planned for this January, was convicted of both rape as well as first-degree murder two years after his 1997 arrest, KFOR reported.

He was prosecuted by Oklahoma County Assistant District Attorney Lou Keel that year, as well as in 2002 and 2003, according to the affiliate station.
Keel told KFOR 'Charles Warner was convicted twice by juries and given the death penalty each time and given 75 years for the sexual assault.'

Keel also said of Warner 'This person doesn’t deserve to live. If you’re going to have a death penalty, if there are going to be some crimes, some homicides, that are so atrocious... then the rape and the brutal murder of a child has to qualify.'

Shonda Waller opposed the death penalty for Warner while she spoke in a March 2014 clemency hearing, the affiliate station reported.

She told KFOR 'I don't see any justice in just sentencing someone to die. To me, the justice is in someone living with what they have done to you, to your family, and having to live with that for the rest of their life, knowing that they'll never walk out those bars.'

ACLU Legal Director Brad Henderson supported Waller's views, telling the affiliate station 'I think she hits it right on the head when she says you know what, this person took life, this person murdered. This person killed. Now we’re just doing the same thing in my baby’s name. That’s wrong. That’s fundamentally wrong.

Speaking about the death penalty, Waller also told KFOR 'That would dishonor my daughter; it would dishonor me and everything and I believe in. Um, I wouldn't want to have to know about something like that because I wouldn't want to know that my hand or what I went through personally is the reason why he's no longer living. When he dies, I want it to be because it's his time, not because he's been executed due to what happened to me and my child.

'And I don't want that on my hands. I makes me feel like I'm no different than him, and I don't want to feel that way.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3HwOJfGrx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook __________________
SMH AT THIS DUMB BROAD

Scroll to see replies

USA is a strange phenomena, whilst the rest of the western world seems to be able to change, the US is stuck in an almost Victorian mindset when it comes to crime and punishment, where else can someone receive a 1000 year prison sentence or lock up kids for life without parole. This is what happens when you allow decision making at the hands of inbred village folk.

Execution is not going to solve anything, it never has and never will, if the mother feels it is wrong, for her at least, who are you to call her dumbass, she is hardly asking for his release and given free access to a local kindergarten.
Original post by nimrodstower
USA is a strange phenomena, whilst the rest of the western world seems to be able to change, the US is stuck in an almost Victorian mindset when it comes to crime and punishment, where else can someone receive a 1000 year prison sentence or lock up kids for life without parole. This is what happens when you allow decision making at the hands of inbred village folk.

Execution is not going to solve anything, it never has and never will, if the mother feels it is wrong, for her at least, who are you to call her dumbass, she is hardly asking for his release and given free access to a local kindergarten.

first of all I'm not American I'm a black south African. second if somebody hurts a child, they should be tortured until they die. forgiveness my @ss. death to paedophilia
Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY
first of all I'm not American I'm a black south African. second if somebody hurts a child, they should be tortured until they die. forgiveness my @ss. death to paedophilia

Wouldn't it be better for him to live out the rest of his days in isolation contemplating his actions?
If you really want to punish the man do it psychologically rather than providing an escape route from the consequences of his actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xenorebrem
Wouldn't it be better for him to live out the rest of his days in isolation contemplating his actions?
If you really want to punish the man do it psychologically rather than providing an escape route from the consequences of his actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah I think he should live for a year but get sodomized and raped every single day and hour and then execute him
nah I think he should live for a year but get sodomized and raped every single day and hour and then execute him

You are thinking too simplistically. Torture is only useful for the retrieval of information. Ultimately the physical pain can numb. Although I do not condone it in anyway, psychological pain can never numb and its impact lasts longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have thought that given your ethnic background and the history of your country you would be a little less extreme. Madiba would not be agreeing with you.
Reply 7

Wow. What a disgusting person you are. What purpose to society would that serve? None. Retribution is an outdated, medieval concept - justice should only be served in the form of deterrence, security and, if possible, rehabilitation.
Reply 8
Original post by Stanno
Wow. What a disgusting person you are. What purpose to society would that serve? None. Retribution is an outdated, medieval concept - justice should only be served in the form of deterrence, security and, if possible, rehabilitation.

I agree with him, he should suffer, death is too easy, throw him to the wolves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stanno

This, we can't call ourselves civilised if we behave like barbarians.
The position of the camera in the second picture is really creepy. Perhaps more creepy than the third one.
The piece of scum deserves whatever he gets but execution is surely an easy way out for him compared to life behind bars?
This story made me teary. But I think the mother should be the one to decide the final verdict.
Original post by MrMango
You are so stupid, so you want to show mercy to a guy who raped and killed an 11 month old? you think that makes you a good person.. **** your "lets be civilised" wtf did he do to warrant the gift of being civil. honestly people like you disgust me.. you may as well start campaigning for his release.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We will almost certainly never agree on this, but I think your message if quite rude.Not called for.

Anyway. I would rather live in a society where people, no matter what they've done, aren't killed by the government. Being born a human gives you the right to be treated in a certain way, even if you take away the rights of somebody else by, say, murdering them. There are no exceptions. If you give the government the power to treat some people one way and some people in another way, you are heading towards fascism, all for the sake of the piece of mind of a few individuals. The piece of mind that my government holds itself to its own rules is worth more than the piece of mind of an evil person suffering being dealt what we perceive to be a righteous punishment.

Please don't assume that I have a different gut reaction to you when I'm reading this story. I don't. When I read it, I felt a visceral anger and my gut thought "torture the bastard". But I prefer to think with my head. The death penalty, theoretically, would be OK if you could guarantee that it would absolutely NEVER be used on an innocent person. The idea of a government killing an innocent is, in my eyes, far worse than the idea of a guilty person getting of lightly. But it regularly occurs that people on death row are pardoned due to new evidence etc., and in the past people have been pardoned posthumously when new evidence has come to light after they have already been executed by the state. In my opinion it's not worth the risk.

Hopefully I've helped enlighten you as to the point of view of the other side. I can't speak for all people who are against the death penalty, but this is my justification anyway.

For all intents and purposes, we can do that too. There are circumstances in which the standard penalty is life with no chance of parole, which is in essence the same as a 1000 year sentence, although only if 21 or over, the person in question would by default receive this sentence.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a 16 month old, if someone harmed my baby I'd want them to die in the most painful way, I think the babys mother is an incredibly strong courageous woman who is a much better person than I could ever be. I think the death penalty is vengeance rather than justice. American jails arent a nice place being locked up for 23 hours per day staring at 4 walls not like the cushy prisons here. Much better for him to spend the rest of his days thinking about what he has done and why he was there.
Over here though I'd probably want the death penalty, prisons are notoriously cushy & it wouldn't be much of a punishment

There is no death penalty in SA, and there are crimes just as horrific happening there. It is not about forgiveness, it is about crime and punishment, and how to deal with it, it is perfectly obvious that the death penalty does not work as a deterrent, so it has no value as a punishment, and torture is against international law and human rights. Hopefully we punish not for some sadistic reason, but to rehabilitate criminals or protect society.
Original post by vickidc18
I have a 16 month old, if someone harmed my baby I'd want them to die in the most painful way, I think the babys mother is an incredibly strong courageous woman who is a much better person than I could ever be. I think the death penalty is vengeance rather than justice. American jails arent a nice place being locked up for 23 hours per day staring at 4 walls not like the cushy prisons here. Much better for him to spend the rest of his days thinking about what he has done and why he was there.
Over here though I'd probably want the death penalty, prisons are notoriously cushy & it wouldn't be much of a punishment

No, British prisons are not 'cushty', have you been inside one, or do you get your information from tabloid newspapers. If you want to see how prisons are, you could become a prison visitor, it will open up your eyes.
No, British prisons are not 'cushty', have you been inside one, or do you get your information from tabloid newspapers. If you want to see how prisons are, you could become a prison visitor, it will open up your eyes.

I've actually been kept in custody suite for a night before from 8pm until 3pm the next day, it was a mat on the floor and toilet in the corner, 3 meals not allowed out at all, Actual jail is a lot easier than that you get a real bed, cd player pictures on the walls, books, gym, education & training. Have you seen the prisoners documentry? A lot of the prisoners addicted to drugs or homeless have actually said they prefer being in prison as they can keep clean & receive a lot of support.
I'm firmly behind this mother. She's the one feeling the pain. It would be hypocritical to criticise what she would want done with him, even if she forgives him or makes him tea, it's not for us to judge. If she was to have him hung, drawn and quartered I'd be behind her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending