The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ig1234
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've applied for Generalist, Europe and Digital and Technology and just got notice that I was successful for D & T and can now complete the form (further than I got last year!). I assume the numbers applying for D & T will be a lot lower than for most other streams and so they will have lower pass marks and can make decisions earlier.

However, two questions:

Firstly, filling in the form now for D & T, if I'm successful in either of the other two, will I need to fill the form in again?

Secondly, I am literally (Monday) about to start a new job which is really interesting and I've been looking for 3 months, and is involving me moving to London. Is it worth me attempting to continue with the Fast Stream process at the moment, or would it be useful to try and see how far I get (even if I might need to take a day off work)? Could I defer anything if successful?

Did you get your e-tray results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah alas I fear I am in the amber band club for EFS and GFS. Again.
Successful at E Tray for the HR Fast Stream just incase there is any other HR people wondering if initial results for HR are out yet.
On to the orientation session and FSAC now for me...it is going to be a long wait.
Original post by kat.lev
Wow, it's busy here tonight!

It's nice to see so much good news - congrats to everyone who has done well today :biggrin:

I'm still waiting for E-tray results for GFS & EFS.. but better than an automatic fail..!

Same! In for the long haul I fear.
Original post by savdahn
No it was definitely mainly economics with a bit of econometrics thrown in, but I was always strong at the econometrics. The funny thing is that it was my communication that let me down in the economics ac, but my communication was my strongest aspect in the statistics ac. I am nervous though because I really don't feel my written exercise went well due to losing time to paste problems and the laptop freezing now and then, do you know how the assessments from the fsac will be weighted? Or what scores those on the analytical stream need on average to be successful?

The e-tray counts towards seeing the bigger picture/changing and improving, making effective decisions and leading and communicating. I'm not sure what the weighting is within each of these but there are 2 or 3 other exercises that are included in determining your overall score in each of the competencies so you definitely have a chance to bring your mark up. I'm not sure what the successful mark is for analytical streams I know I got 13.6 last year for Economist and failed but that's a pretty low score so doesn't help in figuring out a pass mark!
Reply 885
Hope everyone who wanted to got their applications in on time!

If you haven't completed the online tests or etray yet here is the Charity Kindle guide by a group of current Fast Streamers:

Amzn.to/1znVvTe

It goes into detail about each stage and addresses the competencies that you will be tested against. It's the aggregated experience of about 12 current fast streamers (not just the named authors) so should have something for everyone to help them prepare. It's worth reading even in advance of the FSAC so that, particularly if it's your first application, you can really know what to expect and how to prepare well.

Its only £3.84 (price of a cheap London pint!) and remember all proceeds received from Kindle go straight to a UK based literacy charity. This book is also the kind of thing that you might get involved with if you are successful on the FS so please support it!

Good luck everyone!
Original post by PJ07
Now need to start thinking about FSAC - have to be nearly perfect because I totally messed up that written exercise - and will probably need about 19 overall to get through to the FSB for the Diplomatic scheme based on previous years! :frown:
An 18 overall ought to be enough to get you to the FSB - I got 17.99 at last year's FSAC and made it through to the FSB. Congrats on getting past the eTray, good luck with the next steps.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
An 18 overall ought to be enough to get you to the FSB - I got 17.99 at last year's FSAC and made it through to the FSB. Congrats on getting past the eTray, good luck with the next steps.

Is this for all programmes?
Reply 888
Original post by Slowbro93

Not all programmes have a final selection board - and from the looks of things last year, for some schemes people were successful with scores of around 15.8 so it depends on the scheme.
Original post by udum
Not all programmes have a final selection board - and from the looks of things last year, for some schemes people were successful with scores of around 15.8 so it depends on the scheme.

Where did you find these figures? :holmes:
Reply 890
Where did you find these figures? :holmes:

Last year's thread
Original post by udum
Last year's thread

*starts searching*
Original post by udum

For some reason, I thought I got I got less than this, but just checked my FSAC report and I didn't, so that was a nice surprise... The gist being yes, 15.8 sounds about right at least for DaT, but then we had an FSB as well.
What is the FSAC score out of?

That was for the Diplomatic stream. From what people posted last year I think the pass mark for Central Departments was around 16.3, for DaT around a 15.8 and for EFS around 17? No idea for NI, Houses of Parliament or the analytical streams. And of course no previous figures for the new streams.

The score is out of 24 overall - there are 6 clusters of competencies, with each one getting a rating from 0-4. Getting below a 2 in any of them automatically fails you, no matter how high your score in the other areas.
The score is out of 24 overall - there are 6 clusters of competencies, with each one getting a rating from 0-4. Getting below a 2 in any of them automatically fails you, no matter how high your score in the other areas.

And the FSAC report can make quite hard-hitting reading even if you pass, but bear in mind, if you're through, you're through, and the feedback was helpful in informing me what to brush up on in advance of my FSB.
Original post by GManTheGMan
And the FSAC report can make quite hard-hitting reading even if you pass, but bear in mind, if you're through, you're through, and the feedback was helpful in informing me what to brush up on in advance of my FSB.

Yeah, the feedback in the FSAC report is very comprehensive and useful. I didn't pass on my first attempt, and reading my report and the reports of others was one of the things that really helped for my second attempt. It gives a good indication both of what to improve on and of what sort of thing the assessors are looking for.
Yeah, the feedback in the FSAC report is very comprehensive and useful. I didn't pass on my first attempt, and reading my report and the reports of others was one of the things that really helped for my second attempt. It gives a good indication both of what to improve on and of what sort of thing the assessors are looking for.

I'm not allowed to thumbs-up your post...
Just checked my e tray and it says successful (assuming this means I passed) and next to FSAC it says 'Awaiting Invitiation'. I'm applying for HR stream, anyone else in the same boat?
During the online selection test section, do you have to do the verbal, numerical and competency questions in one go or are you allowed a break in between each one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending