The Student Room Group

I don't like this thing. Let's ban it!

"Fireworks are noisy and messy"

"Page 3 makes me uncomfortable"

"I don't like the word slut"

LET'S BAN THEM ALL.

I'm curious to get inside the mind of these people. What sort of thinking leads you to the conclusion that how you feel should impact the rest of the population?

Scroll to see replies

Let's ban people from trying to ban things :yy:
Reply 2
The rise of the internet and the belief that because their voice can be heard by many means it should be heard by many.

Self importance and arrogance, basically.
Reply 3
Curious: do you think nothing should be banned?
Original post by llys
Curious: do you think nothing should be banned?

I think some things have legitimate grounds on which to be banned (e.g. murder, theft etc. etc.) The main thing is though I don't think things should be banned just because I, or a group of people, don't like it.

Original post by Puddles the Monkey

...interesting notion.
Reply 5
I'm that selfish prick who would happily see things I don't like banned but complains when things I like are banned. That's just life sweetie, everyone wants to have their cake and eat it and if you can't beat them join them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Green Party
Lets ban opinion.

That is what most people sometimes dont realise they are saying about fireworks, certain words etc. People dont realise that nearly everything they think is opinion. Opinions is a weird subject to talk about for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james1211
I'm that selfish prick who would happily see things I don't like banned but complains when things I like are banned. That's just life sweetie, everyone wants to have their cake and eat it and if you can't beat them join them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate your candour. Still, it would be nice if people weren't such self-absorbed, hypocritical asshats who demand to be taken seriously despite being ludicrous excuses for human beings.

Soznotsoz.
A simmering narcissism with a feeling of entitlement with a pinch of an inflated sense of self-importance.
Reply 10
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I appreciate your candour. Still, it would be nice if people weren't such self-absorbed, hypocritical asshats who demand to be taken seriously despite being ludicrous excuses for human beings.

Soznotsoz.

It would be nice but it's human behaviour at a basic level to attempt to exert control over others whilst holding onto that which we desire; we are hypocritical by nature. It's not going to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It would be nice but it's human behaviour at a basic level to attempt to exert control over others whilst holding onto that which we desire; we are hypocritical by nature. It's not going to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not? Just ban it, that'll sort it.
People are used to thinking that if they don't like something, they have the right to remove it. We live in a world where you can block people you don't like, or accuse someone you don't like of some kind of -ist (sex, rac etc) hate crime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of us can think more deeply than our immediate desires. "It's not going to change"...WITH THAT ATTITUDE.
Reply 14
Most of us can think more deeply than our immediate desires. "It's not going to change"...WITH THAT ATTITUDE.

Do we need to think more deeply than that though? Stand by the principles you've set out in your OP and you'll just be ****ed over in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think some things have legitimate grounds on which to be banned (e.g. murder, theft etc. etc.) The main thing is though I don't think things should be banned just because I, or a group of people, don't like it.

Do things ever actually get banned just because people don't like it? :holmes:

Lets ban the people trying to ban people from trying to ban things. :colone:
Reply 17
Original post by Arkasia
People are used to thinking that if they don't like something, they have the right to remove it. We live in a world where you can block people you don't like, or accuse someone you don't like of some kind of -ist (sex, rac etc) hate crime.

So you feel you have the right to remove the right to accuse someone of some kind of -ist?
Do things ever actually get banned just because people don't like it? :holmes:

http://www.shortlist.com/shortlists/most-ridiculous-things-banned

I particularly liked the last one.

In fairness I originally just wanted the people who actually make threads like the ones mentioned in the OP to tell me whey they thought things should be banned because they don't like them. Thankfully, I doubt these people will be in any positions of power.
Original post by TSA
Lets ban the people trying to ban people from trying to ban things. :colone:

Let's ban the people trying to ban the people trying to ban people from trying to... okay, that's enough of that. :getmecoat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending