The Student Room Group

I don't like this thing. Let's ban it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Arkasia
If you call someone racist for no reason other than to slander them, you are a dick. What's the problem?

I have no idea, you're the one getting upset about name calling why don't you tell us?
Original post by WeedCanKill
A simmering narcissism with a feeling of entitlement with a pinch of an inflated sense of self-importance.

Okay, but I'm actually a diagnosed narcissist (npd) and I don't want anything banned. Sure, I sometimes look down on others who have different views but I don't try to censor them. I'm a narcissist, not a totalitarian. Big difference.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Okay, but I'm actually a diagnosed narcissist (npd) and I don't want anything banned. Sure, I sometimes look down on others who have different views but I don't try to censor them. I'm a narcissist, not a totalitarian. Big difference.

Cool story bro. If I wanted to read anecdotes, I'd buy a woman's "real life" magazine.
Original post by WeedCanKill
Cool story bro. If I wanted to read anecdotes, I'd buy a woman's "real life" magazine.

You're criticising narcissists for something not all narcissists even do or care about. Thus, I took it as a personal attack on myself and my disordered personality.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
"Fireworks are noisy and messy"

"Page 3 makes me uncomfortable"

"I don't like the word slut"

LET'S BAN THEM ALL.

I'm curious to get inside the mind of these people. What sort of thinking leads you to the conclusion that how you feel should impact the rest of the population?

Very true Viva. Totalitarians, moral conservatives, and puritans are who. They have had these names thrown at them so many times though that now they roll there eyes at them, as if because they're called them a lot it means they're somehow not true. They are of course very patently true, and no amount of rhetorical gymnastics can extinguish this truth.
You do get people calling for ridiculous bans. Fireworks, page 3, "lad's mags", etc. A few years ago an animal rights group was even trying to get shooting magazines banned.

However, I would happily ban Chinese lanterns for the fact that they can set fire to the countryside and the wires can be harmful to livestock.
Original post by llys
Curious: do you think nothing should be banned?

Did you really write this and think 'Oh, I've got her with this one!'? What a stupid comment.
Original post by KingBradly
Very true Viva. Totalitarians, moral conservatives, and puritans are who. They have had these names thrown at them so many times though that now they roll there eyes at them, as if because they're called them a lot it means they're somehow not true. They are of course very patently true, and no amount of rhetorical gymnastics can extinguish this truth.

It's nice to see you agreeing and not accusing me of bumming Muslims every second of the day :wink:
Did you really write this and think 'Oh, I've got her with this one!'? What a stupid comment.

Must have repped you recently but this has had me laughing for the full 7 minutes since you posted it.
Original post by james1211
I would ban it in parks. I don't like it and it annoys me when I see it. Do I stand to gain anything by being tolerant of it if I have the chance to abolish it? Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How appropriate is it that you have an EU flag as your avatar. How utterly myopic can you be?
Original post by james1211
Do we need to think more deeply than that though? Stand by the principles you've set out in your OP and you'll just be ****ed over in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you think that the world would be better if everyone did as you told them to.

What if it was someone else who you didn't agree with who was in control?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's nice to see you agreeing and not accusing me of bumming Muslims every second of the day :wink:

Except for your bizarre cognitive dissonance on the matter of Islam, I think we probably have pretty similar views.
Original post by cole-slaw
All the time. Drugs. using e-cigarettes indoors. Beer above 6% in off-licences. Drinking in the street. Topless women on magazine covers. Cheap alcohol. None of these hurt anyone else, so it should be peoples right to choose whether or not they want to use them.

There are also pushes to ban smoking in parks (wtf), a minimum price on alcohol, and page 3.

I don't think the argument against drugs, alcohol strength and price is that someone doesn't like them. It's that they cause harm. To the users mainly, but also to other people - druggies comitting crime, drunk people causing violence etc.

You might disagree with the idea that they do cause the harm (indeed on harm principle alcohol should surely be banned if cannabis is!).

You might disagree that the state should protect people from themselves.

But harm is the principle is the argument.

Topless women I give you.
Except for your bizarre cognitive dissonance on the matter of Islam, I think we probably have pretty similar views.

I'll admit my opinions on the matter aren't always as fully formed as I think they are before I post them, but then if I banged on about them 24/7 they probably would be a lot more watertight.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Do things ever actually get banned just because people don't like it? :holmes:

You should check out Leviticus. The Lord doesn't like a whole lotta things..

And what about homosexuality in many countries of the world?
Reply 55

No, I was just genuinely curious. There are people who think nothing should be banned. I disagree with those people. OP is evidently not one of them though, and establishing this first off saved me a lot of tedious discussion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by chazwomaq
I don't think the argument against drugs, alcohol strength and price is that someone doesn't like them. It's that they cause harm. To the users mainly, but also to other people - druggies comitting crime, drunk people causing violence etc.

You might disagree with the idea that they do cause the harm (indeed on harm principle alcohol should surely be banned if cannabis is!).

Well that can't be right because banning drugs doesn't reduce harm it increases it, so it must just be some bull**** ***** come up with to look less like *****.

Topless women I give you.

They may or may not cause harm to the participant, depending on how exactly they are used, but then the same argument applies to many things. You can overdose on water, lets ban it just in case.

The fundamental point is that I have an unassailable right to my own body. I own it, it is my property. You do not own it, and neither do the government. You have no right to tell me what I can and cannot do to it as long as I don't harm anyone else.

It is entirely ethical contradictory that I'm legally allowed to kill myself but I can't smoke dope.
I'll admit my opinions on the matter aren't always as fully formed as I think they are before I post them, but then if I banged on about them 24/7 they probably would be a lot more watertight.

Touché
You should check out Leviticus. The Lord doesn't like a whole lotta things..

That's because "The Lord" is a massive pussy. Oh no, mixing garmants. Oh no, people who don't worship me 24/7. Oh no, gay sex. Seriously. "The Lord" sounds like a total douchebag.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending