The Student Room Group

Secondary English PGCE Applicants

Hi,

I know that we have the main PGCE thread but just thought that we could do with one especially for budding English teachers so that we can share ideas!

I was wondering what everybody's thoughts on the new curriculum for 2015 are and how confident you will be discussing it in an interview?

I think that this is the new curriculum here. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/244215/SECONDARY_national_curriculum_-_English2.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Eurgh I have no idea, I haven't really looked at it in-depth. If the new one isn't readily available online, I wouldn't have thought they would expect us to talk about it confidently in the interview? I do know they are scrapping the foundation papers though and just having a universal paper for everybody.

Where are you applying? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by iloveunicorns
Eurgh I have no idea, I haven't really looked at it in-depth. If the new one isn't readily available online, I wouldn't have thought they would expect us to talk about it confidently in the interview? I do know they are scrapping the foundation papers though and just having a universal paper for everybody.

Where are you applying? :smile:

I've applied for a PGCE at Hull and Manchester Met and a School Direct place in York.

How about yourself?
Original post by Macruiskeen
I've applied for a PGCE at Hull and Manchester Met and a School Direct place in York.

How about yourself?

Manchester Met too! And Manchester Uni and a School Direct place in Manchester. Scary stuff!
Reply 4
Manchester Met too! And Manchester Uni and a School Direct place in Manchester. Scary stuff!

Good luck! I hope that if I get in at Manchester Met it's not Crewe campus!

That said, I'll be happy to be offered a place anywhere!
Good luck! I hope that if I get in at Manchester Met it's not Crewe campus!

That said, I'll be happy to be offered a place anywhere!

Yeah me too! Man Met is my first choice, hopefully not the Crewe campus its just too far away. When did you apply? I am religiously checking my emails but I know it'll be a while until they get back to me!
Reply 6
Yeah me too! Man Met is my first choice, hopefully not the Crewe campus its just too far away. When did you apply? I am religiously checking my emails but I know it'll be a while until they get back to me!

I'm just waiting on one of my references! He's a teacher so was away over half term last week...the wait is killing me!
I'm just waiting on one of my references! He's a teacher so was away over half term last week...the wait is killing me!

Yeah I only sent mine today, had to nag my teacher cos it was half term. I think its been the same situation for a lot of people so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah I only sent mine today, had to nag my teacher cos it was half term. I think its been the same situation for a lot of people so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Finally sent today! I called Manchester Met and was told that first interview date is 19th November. Wonder if you will be assigned to that one!
My academic tutor is completing my reference right now - really exciting, albeit that much more nervous. My secondary reference has been completed for days, so I've been somewhat of a worry.

I've been teaching English in Thailand for just over 2 years, so I'm incredibly excited to get back to England and potentially start my English PGCE.

I'm applying for Edge Hill, John Moores and Man Met.
Finally sent today! I called Manchester Met and was told that first interview date is 19th November. Wonder if you will be assigned to that one!

Ah that's scary, I am a bit worried they won't give me an interview as I haven't worked as a TA or anything and everyone else seems to have been one for at least a year. Good luck! :smile:
Hi,

I know that we have the main PGCE thread but just thought that we could do with one especially for budding English teachers so that we can share ideas!

I was wondering what everybody's thoughts on the new curriculum for 2015 are and how confident you will be discussing it in an interview?

I think that this is the new curriculum here. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/244215/SECONDARY_national_curriculum_-_English2.pdf

As long as you know the main points of it you should be fine. You should also research things like:
- Life without levels - KS3 pupils will no longer be given levels so schools have to come up with their own way of monitoring them! Causing a bit of confusion in many schools about how to record progress now.
- Changes to the GCSEs - Grades replaced with numbers, no more coursework and assessed by one exam at the end. What are the pros and cons of this? Think about SEN and EAL learners particularly, as this will massively disadvantage them.

Did they say how long it is until they start sending out invites for interviews? Getting so anxious refreshing track! Although I wouldn't imagine they would send out offers for a few more days yet..
Reply 13
Original post by Shelly_x
As long as you know the main points of it you should be fine. You should also research things like:
- Life without levels - KS3 pupils will no longer be given levels so schools have to come up with their own way of monitoring them! Causing a bit of confusion in many schools about how to record progress now.
- Changes to the GCSEs - Grades replaced with numbers, no more coursework and assessed by one exam at the end. What are the pros and cons of this? Think about SEN and EAL learners particularly, as this will massively disadvantage them.

Thanks that's really helpful!

Did they say how long it is until they start sending out invites for interviews? Getting so anxious refreshing track! Although I wouldn't imagine they would send out offers for a few more days yet..

No they didn't say unfortunately! Also, I wouldn't worry about not having worked as a TA. People get on these courses fresh out of uni and so have no "real" work experience!
(edited 9 years ago)
One interview offer from Manchester Uni! :biggrin: The list of things to prepare for the interview is ridiculous. Think they are intentionally trying to scare me (and succeeding).
Reply 15
One interview offer from Manchester Uni! :biggrin: The list of things to prepare for the interview is ridiculous. Think they are intentionally trying to scare me (and succeeding).

How's it going? Any word from Manchester Met yet? :smile:
No I have interviews for everything but man met! have they contacted you? I don't know whether to be worried or whether they just have a large amount of applicants... have you got any interviews yet? :smile:
I just got a confirmation email from Man Met which I thought was a bit late considering when I sent off my application! No other updates though regarding interviews / rejections though. hmmmm
No response from Edge Hill yet - my first choice - hmm.

I hope they reply soon (with an interview!) and give me ample time.

I'm having to fly back from Thailand solely for my interview. (Been teaching here for 2.5 yrs)
Original post by AnyoneBesidesAsh
No response from Edge Hill yet - my first choice - hmm.

I hope they reply soon (with an interview!) and give me ample time.

I'm having to fly back from Thailand solely for my interview. (Been teaching here for 2.5 yrs)

Good luck! I've heard Edge Hill is really good for teacher training :smile: wow you must have tons of experience - at least you won't get any nasty shocks when you actually start your PGCE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending