The Student Room Group

Black people and asians(pakistanis,Indians,bengal is etc) will you

Scroll to see replies

If someone wants to go and fight a war I don't support and inevitably gets their legs blown off while while doing so, why should I feel obliged to help them out? If it was about aiding the troops from WW2 it would be ok, but most of them are dead now.
Original post by Ggmu!
You're good at isolating a single situation and taking a moral high ground from it.

If you didn't realise, we were fighting a war, people tend to die. You're no hero sitting on your house waiting for a bomb to drop. You are if you risk your life to protect the piece of soil you come from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only good thing that came out of WW1 and WW2 was the technological advancement of the West. Period.
Reply 82
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The rapists were were instructed to rape from their higher ups?

No. My bad, I was thinking abouy My Lai when I wrote that :smile:

Didn't say you should. If you're going to respect a soldier fighting another cause or in another country though, no reason why you can't respect british ones, since all soldiers are the same (if they're not committing crimes like killing innocent civilians or raping people).

That's what you're not getting. I do respect British soldiers, but not all of them. I respect all people who act honourably.
Reply 83
Original post by KingBradly
If someone wants to go and fight a war I don't support and inevitably gets their legs blown off while while doing so, why should I feel obliged to help them out? If it was about aiding the troops from WW2 it would be ok, but most of them are dead now.

Well said :lol:
Original post by TIATA
No. My bad, I was thinking abouy My Lai when I wrote that :smile:

That's what you're not getting. I do respect British soldiers, but not all of them. I respect all people who act honourably.

Why don't you respect all of them?
Lol @ the 'holier than thou' types :rolleyes:

No I won't be wearing one.
Reply 86
Why don't you respect all of them?

Because not all of them are respectable!

I've been saying the same thing over and over :sigh:
Original post by TIATA
Because not all of them are respectable!

I've been saying the same thing over and over :sigh:

What makes one soldier more respectable than another?

Excluding criminal acts of course.
Reply 88
What makes one soldier more respectable than another?

Excluding criminal acts of course.

The same thing that makes one person more respectabe than the other - their conduct and actions.

Do you think that all soldiers conduct themselves the same?
Original post by TIATA
The same thing that makes one person more respectabe than the other - their conduct and actions.

Do you think that all soldiers conduct themselves the same?

So you're not judging them as soldiers, you're judging them for their personalities?

I judge all soldiers the same as long as they act in accordance with the law.
Reply 90
So you're not judging them as soldiers, you're judging them for their personalities?

I judge all soldiers the same as long as they act in accordance with the law.

I'm judging them as soldiers. Soldiers are people. People have personalitites.
Original post by TIATA
I'm judging them as soldiers. Soldiers are people. People have personalitites.

How many soldiers do you know personally?
Reply 92
How many soldiers do you know personally?

I don't need to know any soldiers to know that not all of them deserve respect.
Reply 93
No as I think it's pointless and I'm also not a show off.
Original post by TIATA

What about the soldiers who died defending our freedom? The same soldiers Remembrance Day, remembers?
Reply 95
Original post by Lee R
What about the soldiers who died defending our freedom? The same soldiers Remembrance Day, remembers?

They died defending their freedom, not ours.
Original post by TIATA
They died defending their freedom, not ours.

If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be free.
Reply 97
Original post by Lee R
If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be free.

You can see alternate histories now?

The died defending their own freedoms. They won, and the status quo remained. Are we to remember every conflict there ever was because our way of life has been influenced by siad conflicts?
Original post by TIATA
You can see alternate histories now?

The died defending their own freedoms. They won, and the status quo remained. Are we to remember every conflict there ever was because our way of life has been influenced by siad conflicts?

So what you're saying is, if we had lost the war, everything would be the same as it is now?
Reply 99
Original post by Lee R
So what you're saying is, if we had lost the war, everything would be the same as it is now?

I didn't say that.

I'm saying that we don't know what would have happened.

But, more importantly, the soldiers of that time were fighting to secure their way of life. They weren't fighting for a new way of life.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending