The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxsweetxx
Hi,am studying biomedical science in sheffield hallam uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is it like ? Are you planning on doing GEM ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ell365
Hi there, this seems like a nice, friendly thread.

I'm currently in my final year of Biomedical Science in London, and want to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine next year, and providing I get an offer, I would then have a gap year between studies.

I could get a job as an HCA or do something very part time for 6-12 months, but I wondered if I could get a job as a Biomedical Scientist or something similar, using my experience and knowledge gained, and earn around 20k?

Would this be possible for just a year? Or would I need to undertake something like a 3 year training course as a graduate? My course is IBMS approved.

Thanks.

You are not allowed to defer an application for graduate entry medicine. It's difficult to gain a graduate position as a biomedical scientist as it is. If you were to tell them that you only planned on staying a year, then you were going to leave to pursue medicine, your chances would be extremely slim. The portfolio of competence you need to complete to practice as a biomedical scientist takes a year.

If you want to take a gap year, gaining a position as a HCA would massively benefit you when it comes to applying for graduate entry medicine the following year.
Reply 782
Is it advisable to be considering Biomedical science a university when I find A level Biology difficult? It's more of the 'applying knowledge' questions that I find I can't do so does this mean I would find Biomedical science too hard?
Reply 783
Who wants to take over being the group admin for this? As you can probably tell, I'm no longer destined for Biomed, I'm off to do Law! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 784
Hey
I have an interview for placement year! Does anyone know what to expect? What kind of things will they ask? :smile:
Original post by nomz123
Is it advisable to be considering Biomedical science a university when I find A level Biology difficult? It's more of the 'applying knowledge' questions that I find I can't do so does this mean I would find Biomedical science too hard?

If you find Biology difficult, you'll probably most likely find Biomedical Science difficult tbh.

Application of knowledge becomes most profound in final year.
Hi everyone. I am starting my 2nd year in medical science at uni this October. I have a part-time job at the moment but it is not scientific or medical-related.
Generally speaking, I would like to find a job in the medical field perhaps over the summer holidays next year? I don't know if there are any jobs like that for undergrads?

Does anyone know where and how I could get a medical-related job as an undergrad?
I've already done a lot of volunteering and work experiences in the medical field so would like to have some payed employment now. I am not sure whether I will stay in medical science or carry on into studying medicine, but I would like to have the experience of lab work (and earn some money during the holidays :smile: ) which will look good on my work and academic applications in the future.

Some help would be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 787
Heyy :smile:
So I will be starting my placement year soon so that I can register as a biomedical scientist. Was really excited to start, however, I was just looking through current biomed vacancies but majority of them asked for 1/2 years post registration experience...

Now I'm worried i'll end up with no job even if I am registered..

Any advice or anyone who did or didn't find a job after placement? :smile:
I'm in my fifth year doing highers (Scottish system) strongly considering biomedical science, can anybody give me a bit of an insight into what it's like? Do you enjoy it, what kind of things does it focus on, prospects after uni etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question, if anyone knows. I just want to confirm that there's no need for me to register with IBMS if I have no interest in working in a hospital lab, right?
Original post by Yawn11
Question, if anyone knows. I just want to confirm that there's no need for me to register with IBMS if I have no interest in working in a hospital lab, right?

Depends on where you want to work. For example, HPA require IBMS reg too - although, they are part of NHS iirc. Some places in industry will want it, others will mention it as an advantage.

IBMS reg, or rather the absence thereof, is a pain in the bottom.
Original post by 2468
Heyy :smile:
So I will be starting my placement year soon so that I can register as a biomedical scientist. Was really excited to start, however, I was just looking through current biomed vacancies but majority of them asked for 1/2 years post registration experience...

Now I'm worried i'll end up with no job even if I am registered..

Any advice or anyone who did or didn't find a job after placement? :smile:

If you can get a placement, take it with both hands. Experience can be seen to later. I can't get a BMS job despite graduating because I have no IBMS certification.
Reply 792
Original post by ash92:)
If you can get a placement, take it with both hands. Experience can be seen to later. I can't get a BMS job despite graduating because I have no IBMS certification.

Yeah, I decided to just go ahead with it...

Have you considered getting an assistant or associate practitioner job for the time being? I know it seems like a waste when you spend three years in uni. But most of the assistants in my department are biomed graduates and some have been given the opportunity to complete their portfolio. :smile:
Original post by 2468
Yeah, I decided to just go ahead with it...

Have you considered getting an assistant or associate practitioner job for the time being? I know it seems like a waste when you spend three years in uni. But most of the assistants in my department are biomed graduates and some have been given the opportunity to complete their portfolio. :smile:

Yup, and that was hard enough. I've managed to get a locum job as an assistant. I'm hoping the limited experience from it will be useful for future job applications.
Got a distinction in Immunology from KCL, 2:1 from Biomed from QMUL and lots of lab experience.

But I'll never be able to work in the NHS because of that registration thing.

/Feeling depressed about the lack of science jobs for me despite studying so hard.
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Got a distinction in Immunology from KCL, 2:1 from Biomed from QMUL and lots of lab experience.

But I'll never be able to work in the NHS because of that registration thing.

/Feeling depressed about the lack of science jobs for me despite studying so hard.

I thought there was something you could do/study to become accredited by IBMS post-graduation?

It's so competitive out there atm.
Original post by Yawn11
I thought there was something you could do/study to become accredited by IBMS post-graduation?

It's so competitive out there atm.

Sorry, I am IBMS registered, but not HCPC registered.
Surely you need to be HCPC registered to work in a hospital?
Sorry, I am IBMS registered, but not HCPC registered.
Surely you need to be HCPC registered to work in a hospital?

I thought that was a straight forward registration? I have no interest in working hospital labs so I never did it, but my friends from Uni don't seem to have had a problem with it.
Original post by Yawn11
I thought that was a straight forward registration? I have no interest in working hospital labs so I never did it, but my friends from Uni don't seem to have had a problem with it.

Dude what are you looking for then?

I'm in need of a role model. I have no direction in my life right now. :sad:
Dude what are you looking for then?

I'm in need of a role model. I have no direction in my life right now. :sad:

Take a deep breath bro, we're all in the same boat. Many graduates - including myself are unsure of what career path they wanna pursue.

Ideally I'd to be a on a graduate scheme/job that would allow me to be involved in the advancement or management of healthcare, whether it be with the NHS, a pharmaceutical company or civil service. But the competition is so fierce atm that I'm open to starting off in other areas, like business development or general management.

Latest

Trending

Trending