The Student Room Group

Older student resit questions

Hey there, I was just wondering if it would be possible to receive some advise with regards to an older student coming back to take some A level exams again.
My situation is as follows: Sat A levels in maths, physics and biology but I suffer from several health conditions that made my last few months a nightmare, I was hardly able to sit the exams but my damn pride made me do it anyway, and as such my overall grades took a big hit. The rest of the year wasn't too great either but the major downfall was certainly my final exams.
I then hopped onto a university course with C, C, C (all 3 somehow got the same amount of point worth, just under B's), and my illness unfortunately led to a deferral as I reacted badly to my new medication.
I've spent the last year working on and off and recovering, I'm now in a fairly healthy state and would love to go back to university on a course I like, however my grades don't hold up.

I've looked into Access to higher education courses, but none even remotely in my area specialize in courses I like, so the entrance officers recommended perhaps resitting part or all of my A levels.
I've looked into colleges and distance learning courses, all seem great but harshly expensive, especially for content I have done before and would be capable of self studying. Applying as a private candidate and self studying seems like the most attractive option to me. I have contacted several schools and centers who have offered me a place.

Here's my major questions, can I resit certain modules I did worse in 2 years ago and the overall grades update? Is there a way to find my individual module grades, I've kept almost all documentations of my life events in a folder, but for the life of me I can't find the individual grades, just the certificates of my overall grades, can I request these from AQA/Edexcel? Or perhaps my old college?
If I can't resit specific modules to update my A levels, I'll gladly sit all the exams in June for AS and A2, I'm determined enough, I just need to know that's my only option, as it is costly and tough taking on so many exams in one sitting.
Thanks for any help you can offer me!
You can get all your past exam marks from the college you took them at, just give them a ring and see how they can get that to you. Also, have you managed to get a place that is offering you to do the practicals for Biology and Physics?
Reply 2
I'll call them first thing tomorrow, I have been given a place to sit my practicals but It's extremely expensive, £325 for each biology, and £400 for each physics. If I could sit only the modules I need to update my grade, would that include practicals? I did well enough on them last time for a good grade.
Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Bonderen
Sat A levels in maths, physics and biology can I resit certain modules I did worse in 2 years ago and the overall grades update?

Yes, you can re-sit any/all of them and then request an overall grade again. Your better/best attempt at each unit is the one that will count. However, in order for this to work you need to make sure that these new entries are made with your original unique candidate identifier (UCI) as this is what holds all the results under 1 identity.

Original post by Bonderen
Is there a way to find my individual module grades,

Your old college should be able to tell you. If they really won't (some of them are most unhelpful) then you could ask the relevant exam board, but the college ought to be your first place to try.

The entry deadline for next summer is 21 Feb but many places will close their doors to private candidates weeks before this.
Reply 4
Ah thank you so much Compost!
I'll get right on that tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest