The Student Room Group

Opinions on Southamptom Solent University - HELP!!!

Okay, so I've seen a course I really like offered by Solent. It's Applied Sports Science and although the uni itself is known to be sugar, honey, ice and tea, apparently, they offer fantastic fitness/sport courses.

I have done two BTEC Subsidiaries so I can't exactly apply to Cambridge here but I just want to know your personal opinions of it and particularly if you or someone you know is or was recently there.

I mean, my main worries are that I want to get a good grade and I'm worried that I'm going to turn up with a load of 'F*** it' attitudes. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna party! But there needs to be a balance between work and play and although I have my own mind yes, I'm slightly concerned about getting the balance right between them and especially if mates are gonna be constantly 'on it'.

I suppose what I'm asking is do you think that the low entry requirements of the uni will resemble that in the fact the students don't really want to work hard. I don't wanna be a party-pooping bookworm and I'm definitely going to be having a good time but at the same time I don't want to get in debt for absolutely sod all...
Southampton Solent is one of the worst unis in UK. Enjoy your time
Original post by SocialSmocial94
Okay, so I've seen a course I really like offered by Solent. It's Applied Sports Science and although the uni itself is known to be sugar, honey, ice and tea, apparently, they offer fantastic fitness/sport courses.

I have done two BTEC Subsidiaries so I can't exactly apply to Cambridge here but I just want to know your personal opinions of it and particularly if you or someone you know is or was recently there.

I mean, my main worries are that I want to get a good grade and I'm worried that I'm going to turn up with a load of 'F*** it' attitudes. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna party! But there needs to be a balance between work and play and although I have my own mind yes, I'm slightly concerned about getting the balance right between them and especially if mates are gonna be constantly 'on it'.

I suppose what I'm asking is do you think that the low entry requirements of the uni will resemble that in the fact the students don't really want to work hard. I don't wanna be a party-pooping bookworm and I'm definitely going to be having a good time but at the same time I don't want to get in debt for absolutely sod all...

They run regular open days http://www.solent.ac.uk/opendays/open-days.aspx

Why not visit and speak to staff, students and other potential applicants and decide for yourself if the people you'll be studying alongside will be motivated.

All courses have a range of students in terms of motivation and work ethics. A lot of Solent courses offer a sandwich year which tends to be something that appeals for more focused students.

Original post by halamadrid777
Southampton Solent is one of the worst unis in UK. Enjoy your time

It's a shame that you feel qualified to comment when you haven't even read the OP
Original post by PQ
They run regular open days http://www.solent.ac.uk/opendays/open-days.aspx

Why not visit and speak to staff, students and other potential applicants and decide for yourself if the people you'll be studying alongside will be motivated.

All courses have a range of students in terms of motivation and work ethics. A lot of Solent courses offer a sandwich year which tends to be something that appeals for more focused students.

It's a shame that you feel qualified to comment when you haven't even read the OP

Thank you :smile:
My brother did sports marketing at solent 6 years ago after failing almost all of his a levels- He achieved a 2:1 and is now he's on £60,000 in an excellent job. If you're a hardworking person I'm sure you'll be able to balance your own time between work and play. I think a lot people at solent are people who want a second chance after struggling with college for various reasons, so when it comes down to it they are willing to work hard. :rolleyes:
Original post by Piledriver
My brother did sports marketing at solent 6 years ago after failing almost all of his a levels- He achieved a 2:1 and is now he's on £60,000 in an excellent job. If you're a hardworking person I'm sure you'll be able to balance your own time between work and play. I think a lot people at solent are people who want a second chance after struggling with college for various reasons, so when it comes down to it they are willing to work hard. :rolleyes:

That's fantastic! I'm glad to hear that, I guess it does mainly come down to how hard working we are :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending