The Student Room Group

Coprime

Let nn be a natural number. Prove that there are natural numbers a1,a2,...,ana_1, a_2, . . . , a_n and natural numbers b1,...,bnb_1, . . . , b_n such that the following conditions are satisfied.

(a) If iji \not= j, then aia_i and aja_j are coprime.
(b) If iji \not= j, then bib_i and bjb_j are coprime.
(c) The numbers aia_i and bjb_j are not coprime for all ii and for all jj.

How is this possible?
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Let nn be a natural number. Prove that there are natural numbers a1,a2,...,ana_1, a_2, . . . , a_n and natural numbers b1,...,bnb_1, . . . , b_n such that the following conditions are satisfied.

How is this possible?

It's possible.

Hint:

Consider prime factors, and their grouping in a_i,b_i.

Start with n=2 and see what you can come up with.
(edited 9 years ago)

How is this possible?

It's easy enough to create an example - e.g. 3,14 and 25 for the a set and 2,7,39 for the b set. This can then form the basis for a generalisation.
Original post by unclefred
It's easy enough to create an example - e.g. 3,14 and 25 for the a set and 2,7,39 for the b set. This can then form the basis for a generalisation.

That doesn't satisfy the criteria; 3 & 2 are coprime contradicting (c)
Original post by ghostwalker
That doesn't satisfy the criteria; 3 & 2 are coprime contradicting (c)

agreed! I read the question too quickly! For 'all' I read 'some'. Please ignore my response!
It's possible.

Hint:

Consider prime factors, and their grouping in a_i,b_i.

Start with n=2 and see what you can come up with.

Sorry I still can't how it is possible. It is condition (c) that is making it difficult for me. If a number (a_i) is not coprime with say two numbers (b_i and b_j), how can those two numbers (b_i and b_j) be coprime?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Sorry I still can't how it is possible. It is condition (c) that is making it difficult for me. If a number (a_i) is not coprime with say two numbers (b_i and b_j), how can those two numbers (b_i and b_j) be coprime?

2 is coprime with 3 and 9, but 3 and 9 are not coprime.
Original post by james22
2 is coprime with 3 and 9, but 3 and 9 are not coprime.

I am saying if u is in the set of numbers a_i and v,w are in the set of number b_i, then for the three conditions (a),(b), (c) to be satisfied, u is not coprime with v and w, but v and w are coprime.

I really can't see how this is possible.

---

From your reply, are you suggesting I have misinterpreted the question?
Reply 8
I am saying if u is in the set of numbers a_i and v,w are in the set of number b_i, then for the three conditions (a),(b), (c) to be satisfied, u is not coprime with v and w, but v and w are coprime.

I really can't see how this is possible.

---

From your reply, are you suggesting I have misinterpreted the question?

Let u=6, v=9, w=4

Then u is not coprime with v or w, but v and w are coprime with each other.

As james22 has indicated: For a_i, the common factor with b_i is different to the common factor with b_j.

Further hint: Since sequence b has n entries, what does that tell you about the number of distinct prime factors of a_i?
(edited 9 years ago)
As james22 has indicated: For a_i, the common factor with b_i is different to the common factor with b_j.

Further hint: Since sequence b has n entries, what does that tell you about the number of distinct prime factors of a_i?

If the common factor of a_i and each number in b is different, then a_i must have n distinct prime factors with each one being in common factor with a different number in b?
If the common factor of a_i and each number in b is different, then a_i must have n distinct prime factors with each one being in common factor with a different number in b?

Yes, but it could also have more than n factors.

And since a_i is arbitrary, they must all have at least n distinct prime factors (including the b_i).

If you've not already sussed it, have a go with the case n=2. I'd use p1,p2,...p_1,p_2,... rather than actual numbers.
(edited 9 years ago)
And since a_i is arbitrary, they must all have at least n distinct prime factors (including the b_i).

If you've not already sussed it, have a go with the case n=2. I'd use p1,p2,...p_1,p_2,... rather than actual numbers.

I was thinking along the right lines, but was unfortunately shown a solution by my lecturer before I could work it out. To be honest I don't think I would have worked it out if I wasn't show the solution.

So for n=2,

a1=p1p2 and a2=p3p4a_1=p_1 \cdot p_2 \ and \ a_2=p_3 \cdot p_4

Then a possible case would be:

b1=p1p3 and b2=p2 p4b_1=p_1 \cdot p_3 \ and \ b_2 = p_2 \cdot \ p_4

I was thinking of having the numbers a_i and b_i as primes rather than product of primes so I could never meet the criteria (c).

Thanks for the help.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was thinking along the right lines, but was unfortunately shown a solution by my lecturer before I could work it out. To be honest I don't think I would have worked it out if I wasn't show the solution.

So for n=2,

a1=p1p2 and a2=p3p4a_1=p_1 \cdot p_2 \ and \ a_2=p_3 \cdot p_4

Then a possible case would be:

b1=p1p3 and b2=p2 p4b_1=p_1 \cdot p_3 \ and \ b_2 = p_2 \cdot \ p_4

Yep.

I was thinking of having the numbers a_i and b_i as primes rather than product of primes so I could never meet the criteria (c).

It's fine as a starting point. And then realising it doesn't satisfy the third criterion, you adapt, or try something else.

If you don't know how to proceed it's a good general techinque to try a small value of n, and see what you can come up with, and then try and generalise it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest