The Student Room Group

Germany tell UK to leave EU if they want to control immigration

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
How does Britain wishing to prevent immigrants affect Germany?

Answer: it doesn't/they'll get more

So it's fine for us to have all the immigrants, but not germany.....

Except that Germany has more foreign citizens than the UK.

However, you are a moron so you wouldn't know that
Original post by TurboCretin
I am simply reporting. You can question the wisdom of the Chinese, but questioning whether they in fact think what they say they think is another matter.

You didn't report someone's opinion; you made a claim of fact.
How does Britain wishing to prevent immigrants affect Germany?

Answer: it doesn't/they'll get more

So it's fine for us to have all the immigrants, but not germany.....

Germany is a red herring. What Cameron wants contravenes the EU treaties. Even if Merkel were to agree with Cameron, the UK and Germany cannot change the treaties just by agreement between themselves. That would require unanimity among all the existing 28 members. Merkel is pointing out to Cameron that the choice is to obey the treaties or leave; she is not creating this situation by her choices, only explaining that it exists, that it existed before she was Chancellor, and it still exist after she is gone, and regardless of British or German policy.
Exactly- we do what is best for ourselves. Dont like it? Sod off.

We can do what we want. However, and this is the point that most UKIP supporters don't get, others can do what they want as well. They, like Salmond over Scottish independence, can sit there pontificating about what is in the interests of the people who they have just rejected, but the plain fact is that they rejected ones will act in their own interests, not ours.

You can argue, as Observatory and I have been doing, about what the consequences of that will be, but UKIP doesn't do that. UKIP, and Cameron when he takes to pandering to UKIP, seeks to dictate what others will do and Merkel has just reminded Cameron that it is for others, not the UK, to decide if the treaties will be changed.
Original post by Observatory
You didn't report someone's opinion; you made a claim of fact.

I reported how Asia sees the UK in trade terms - I don't know whether you want to call that reporting a fact or an opinion. Either way, my own thoughts on the importance of internal institutions vs trade agreements are irrelevant, because I am reporting on how Asia sees the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Except that Germany has more foreign citizens than the UK.

However, you are a moron so you wouldn't know that

I am a moron because of what exactly?
Original post by nulli tertius
We can do what we want. However, and this is the point that most UKIP supporters don't get, others can do what they want as well. They, like Salmond over Scottish independence, can sit there pontificating about what is in the interests of the people who they have just rejected, but the plain fact is that they rejected ones will act in their own interests, not ours.

You can argue, as Observatory and I have been doing, about what the consequences of that will be, but UKIP doesn't do that. UKIP, and Cameron when he takes to pandering to UKIP, seeks to dictate what others will do and Merkel has just reminded Cameron that it is for others, not the UK, to decide if the treaties will be changed.

Exactly- let each country in Europe do what they want, ie NO EU!

The EU should be about free trade, not forcing English towns to become Polish/Latvian ghettos, or allowing Eastern European murderers/rapists here.
Exactly- let each country in Europe do what they want, ie NO EU!

The EU should be about free trade, not forcing English towns to become Polish/Latvian ghettos, or allowing Eastern European murderers/rapists here.

But largely what most countries in Europe want is an EU that is much more than a free trade area.
I am a moron because of what exactly?

Ok. Clearly, that one line was too complex.

You claimed "it's fine for us to have all the immigrants, but not germany" even though Germany has more immigrants.

That would make you an ignoramus on the issue.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Ok. Clearly, that one line was too complex.

You claimed "it's fine for us to have all the immigrants, but not germany" even though Germany has more immigrants.

That would make you an ignoramus on the issue.

Germany could have lots of French engineers- that would count towards having more immigrants. I am talking about Britain having more scummy ones wanting benefits.
Germany could have lots of French engineers- that would count towards having more immigrants. I am talking about Britain having more scummy ones wanting benefits.

So now you are just making **** up as you go along.
Shouldn't be surprising when free movement is a fundamental feature of the EU.

Well this just isn't the case.

Of the 7.6 million foreigners living in Germany 120,000 are French. I have no idea how many are French engineers.

Germany has 146,000 Bulgarians, 312,000 Greeks, 552,000 Italians, 240,000 Croats, 609,000 Poles, 267,000 Rumanians, 205,000 Serbs, 1,549,000 Turks. 85,000 Iraqis, 60,000 Iranians.

Do you need me to go on?
Original post by Rakas21
This should not be a shock, free movement of labour is one of the four pillars.

Yes, this is an issue where, oddly perhaps, leftists and capitalists agree while (paleo-)conservatives disagree.
We are a moderate, tolerant country. This is the 21st Century,
where our capital city is now less than 50% white and the most tolerant
and diverse on earth, where gay marriage is not just accepted but
celebrated, and where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.
Original post by democracyforum
We are a moderate, tolerant country. This is the 21st Century,
where our capital city is now less than 50% white and the most tolerant
and diverse on earth, where gay marriage is not just accepted but
celebrated, and where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.

London is majority white, it's just not majority British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending