The Student Room Group

How are you assessed in a Psychology (BCs) course? (Approximately)

I couldn't find good statistics on how the Psychology work is assessed. I know that coursework, presentations, or practical work may be involved, but what are the most likely things that I will be assessed by? E.g. 60% Coursework, 40% debate, etc.

Much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Davalla
I couldn't find good statistics on how the Psychology work is assessed. I know that coursework, presentations, or practical work may be involved, but what are the most likely things that I will be assessed by? E.g. 60% Coursework, 40% debate, etc.

Much appreciated.

It varies from university to university but my assessments have been lab reports, essays, research critiques, exams xx
Varies alot. Also varies depending on which year you are in. 3rd year dissertation will take up a sizable amount of marks (10-30% usually) then exams.First year multiple choice questions can occur at some unis. I personally just did 80% exams (all essay based) and 25% dissertations/coursework in my second & third year.
Reply 3
Out of curiosity; did you have to experience any presentations, I.e.- having to personally present something in front of audience?
Original post by Davalla
Out of curiosity; did you have to experience any presentations, I.e.- having to personally present something in front of audience?

I havent had any assessed ones, but I know other people from others unis who had ones. At masters level i have presentations....
Reply 5
Original post by iammichealjackson
I havent had any assessed ones, but I know other people from others unis who had ones. At masters level i have presentations....

Brilliant. Would you agree that the subject gets relatively 'immature' as it progresses? I.e- a lot of people have told me that they had to do a lot of posters for their Psychology PhD,etc, so have you noticed that it goes backwards the higher the level, I.e becoming less lenient over time?

Much appreciated.
Original post by Davalla
Brilliant. Would you agree that the subject gets relatively 'immature' as it progresses? I.e- a lot of people have told me that they had to do a lot of posters for their Psychology PhD,etc, so have you noticed that it goes backwards the higher the level, I.e becoming less lenient over time?

Much appreciated.

I wouldn't really put it that way. You couldn't write a third year dissertation in first year as you simply don't have the skills. Presentation and poster skills are essential skills for lecturers (which a PhD is aimed at training you for) as well as in business. If anything it gets a lot harder as you progress....

Quick Reply

Latest