The Student Room Group

20 year old a driving BMW - is it stupid?

I'm currently driving a Skoda fabia hatchback (1.4L and 5 doors). I've driven it for 2 years and want to upgrade to something better (budget 3-10k).

I was thinking about getting a E46/E90 (up to 10 yrs old) 325 or 330 SE but my dad thinks its stupid for me to drive such a big car.

He says that:
I'll never get hired for a graduate job
I don't need such a big car
I can't afford it.

I've looked at VW's but I think their overpriced and the insurance is a lot more.
Does driving a BMW mean you won't get a graduate job? Strange logic. If you yourself know you can afford it then do what you like

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think your dad may be a bit of an idiot. Sorry.
Reply 3
Original post by Vitamin D
Does driving a BMW mean you won't get a graduate job? Strange logic. If you yourself know you can afford it then do what you like

Posted from TSR Mobile

He claims the managers will "ensure I am not hired", I'm pretty sure they're going to be rolling up in something better than a 7-10 year old bmw or they wont care about cars.

Original post by President Putin
I think your dad may be a bit of an idiot. Sorry.

I'm inclined to agree, apparently if I buy a Golf it will get stolen :confused:. Surely every car has a chance of being stolen.
If you have the money then it could be an option for you, if you are borrowing the money then I'd think no - it's just an indicator that its financially not the right time if you don't. Access to credit is exciting, but I doubt you have access to low interest rates (sub 6%?) fresh from uni. And even if you do, its a much more attractive option to save yourself what could be 30% of the value of your car, over a 3 year plan.

Then consider the running costs, does the running cost (average 8k miles per year of petrol) set you back more than 1/3 of your monthly income? More than 40% gets really silly. Diesels are cheaper to run if you really can afford it though. An e90/91/92/93 320d is an absolute beauty for the money, depending on taste, and also retain value very much better than petrol. Subscribe to Glass's guide or Parker's for accurate used car prices, it's worth the fiver to stop you getting the price wrong by hundreds. My best mate has parkers, if he didn't have it I'd've paid for it myself.

If you're in any doubt, wait. Because in truth you'll spend all your money on it, and when the novelty wear off, its just your car, which you are used to. And you're poor now!

If you consider yourself any type of driver other than grandparentish, save your life and your passengers', and your NClaimsB. Invest as much as you can afford (at least £100 per corner), in great great tyres. Like anything else you spend a large amount of money on, phones, laptops, read lots of reviews. Go on car forums. My uncles vw polo gets round corners faster (he's been an actual racing driver) and more safely on its mid-high spec michelins than audi's that somebody has fitted with a set of £50 per tyre DITCH-FINDERS!
Also stuff happens. To me. Had the car for just under a year. When a tree came down in 100mph winds, and the car was written off. The insurance paid out for the car's value in full, and the finance agreement automatically ends. I had to pay the interest on the WHOLE 3 years. Had been paying £400 per month, and got nothing back.

NEVER GET FINANCE ATTACHED TO A CAR, GET AN INDEPENDENT BANK LOAN. SHOWROOM FINANCIERS ARE SHARKS. ALL SORTS OF T+CS.

Mazda mx-5, so much bang for your buck. Handling like a lotus elise, **** like off a shovel, parts like peanuts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tbx
I'm inclined to agree, apparently if I buy a Golf it will get stolen :confused:. Surely every car has a chance of being stolen.
Surely if it's a car that you'll be spending your own money on, it's your ultimate decision? Don't listen to what your father says.
I hope I don't look stupid. I'm 21 and drive an e46 320d...

In my opinion, it's not too big. And that's coming from someone who switched from a 3 door 2002 Fiesta.

I haven't graduated yet but any part time job interview I've walked into, I always drop a line about cars to lighten the mood, especially if I see the interviewer's car keys on the table. In the past couple of months I've had 4 job offers :smile: had to decline them all and quit one of my jobs thanks to third year Biomedical Science!

Posted from TSR Mobile
look up a mazda 1 or a honda civic type R - if you're thinking its a bit too big - I personally quite like them, they handle well, can be nippy when you want them to be and have a fair amount of room for what you pay for.
Original post by Tbx
I'm currently driving a Skoda fabia hatchback (1.4L and 5 doors). I've driven it for 2 years and want to upgrade to something better (budget 3-10k).

I was thinking about getting a E46/E90 (up to 10 yrs old) 325 or 330 SE but my dad thinks its stupid for me to drive such a big car.

He says that:
I'll never get hired for a graduate job
I don't need such a big car
I can't afford it.

I've looked at VW's but I think their overpriced and the insurance is a lot more.

I know where he is coming from. While it won't affect your chances of being hired by the company it indeed used to be the case many years ago and still true for some companies that you should never drive a car that is better than the one your manager drives.

10 year old BMW, not the wisest of decisions to put money into an old BMW. Many things will start to break and cost lots of money to fix. Fine if you like the car loads but do take into account it isn't going to be cheap to maintain.

I personally won't buy one that is more than 3 years old.
Reply 10
Original post by Alfissti
I know where he is coming from. While it won't affect your chances of being hired by the company it indeed used to be the case many years ago and still true for some companies that you should never drive a car that is better than the one your manager drives.

10 year old BMW, not the wisest of decisions to put money into an old BMW. Many things will start to break and cost lots of money to fix. Fine if you like the car loads but do take into account it isn't going to be cheap to maintain.

You could say that about any car though really.
Reply 11

Perhaps if we're talking about company cars.
What you do with your own money is no one elses business, though.
Reply 12
Original post by Daniel Crockett
If you have the money then it could be an option for you, if you are borrowing the money then I'd think no - it's just an indicator that its financially not the right time if you don't. Access to credit is exciting, but I doubt you have access to low interest rates (sub 6%?) fresh from uni. And even if you do, its a much more attractive option to save yourself what could be 30% of the value of your car, over a 3 year plan.

Then consider the running costs, does the running cost (average 8k miles per year of petrol) set you back more than 1/3 of your monthly income? More than 40% gets really silly. Diesels are cheaper to run if you really can afford it though. An e90/91/92/93 320d is an absolute beauty for the money, depending on taste, and also retain value very much better than petrol. Subscribe to Glass's guide or Parker's for accurate used car prices, it's worth the fiver to stop you getting the price wrong by hundreds. My best mate has parkers, if he didn't have it I'd've paid for it myself.

If you're in any doubt, wait. Because in truth you'll spend all your money on it, and when the novelty wear off, its just your car, which you are used to. And you're poor now!

If you consider yourself any type of driver other than grandparentish, save your life and your passengers', and your NClaimsB. Invest as much as you can afford (at least £100 per corner), in great great tyres. Like anything else you spend a large amount of money on, phones, laptops, read lots of reviews. Go on car forums. My uncles vw polo gets round corners faster (he's been an actual racing driver) and more safely on its mid-high spec michelins than audi's that somebody has fitted with a set of £50 per tyre DITCH-FINDERS!

Well I have £10k saved up but I only really want to spend around 3-4k on a newer car to last a few years and then use the rest for any unexpected things.

I don't think a modern diesel is suitable for me due the DPF issues. I currently only commute 30 miles round trip to university at the moment, so I doubt the engine will have warmed up enough. Also my dad hates diesel cars for some reason.

I think ultimately I may have to wait until after I get a graduate job to find out where i'll be working but it just seems a shame to be stuck with a lemon of a car. :frown:

Also stuff like ^ this happens. To me. Had the car for just under a year. When a tree came down in 100mph winds, and the car was written off. The insurance paid out for the car's value in full, and the finance agreement automatically ends. I had to pay the interest on the WHOLE 3 years. Had been paying £400 per month, and got nothing back.

NEVER GET FINANCE ATTACHED TO A CAR, GET AN INDEPENDENT BANK LOAN. SHOWROOM FINANCIERS ARE SHARKS. ALL SORTS OF T+CS.

Mazda mx-5, so much bang for your buck. Handling like a lotus elise, **** like off a shovel, parts like peanuts.

That was a stunning car, such a shame that happened. I'm aware things like this can happen unfortunately though.

Original post by President Putin
Surely if it's a car that you'll be spending your own money on, it's your ultimate decision? Don't listen to what your father says.

He's quite a controlling person and is the type that makes your life hell if you do something he doesn't like/ brings up mistakes you made in the past however unrelated. Until I move out, I have to put up with him, though I think he may be slightly jealous of me driving a car similar to his.

Original post by live_a_life
I hope I don't look stupid. I'm 21 and drive an e46 320d...

In my opinion, it's not too big. And that's coming from someone who switched from a 3 door 2002 Fiesta.

I haven't graduated yet but any part time job interview I've walked into, I always drop a line about cars to lighten the mood, especially if I see the interviewer's car keys on the table. In the past couple of months I've had 4 job offers :smile: had to decline them all and quit one of my jobs thanks to third year Biomedical Science!

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask if you drive a saloon or a coupe? :smile: Yes I agree, I've looked at the measurements and they're only 3 inches wider than my current currant car but a bit longer.

Oh well done! on the job offers, I'm in my 3rd year and about to apply for jobs. Personally I don't think a BMW would stop me getting a job, but my father would lament me for it, if I didn't manage to secure one.

Original post by tearteto
look up a mazda 1 or a honda civic type R - if you're thinking its a bit too big - I personally quite like them, they handle well, can be nippy when you want them to be and have a fair amount of room for what you pay for.

Thanks for the suggestions :smile:, i'll give them a look.

I can see his point but I'm going to be getting a 7-10 year old car which will be quite old! Not sure why people would perceive it to be better!

Unfortunately I don't have enough money to buy a new car, and I've heard horror stories of newish car being clocked and driven carelessly by other drivers. Whist the would probably also be true for older cars, as I've paid less and budgeted for extra costs I think I would manage :smile:.
Original post by Tbx

May I ask if you drive a saloon or a coupe? :smile: Yes I agree, I've looked at the measurements and they're only 3 inches wider than my current currant car but a bit longer.

Oh well done! on the job offers, I'm in my 3rd year and about to apply for jobs. Personally I don't think a BMW would stop me getting a job, but my father would lament me for it, if I didn't manage to secure one.

I drive a silver saloon (facelift).

Thanks :smile: yeah, it's really not going to hurt your chances at all but I can see what you mean about your dad making it difficult for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14

Also stuff like ^ this happens. To me. Had the car for just under a year. When a tree came down in 100mph winds, and the car was written off. The insurance paid out for the car's value in full, and the finance agreement automatically ends. I had to pay the interest on the WHOLE 3 years. Had been paying £400 per month, and got nothing back.

are those front tints legal?
Original post by JC.
Perhaps if we're talking about company cars.
What you do with your own money is no one elses business, though.

That only works in theory, in the end that manager is human too.

I had a tree come down on a car as well last December. Took nearly 4 months to get a settlement.

We were lucky, the car had a gap insurance as part of the finance. It covered the shortfall between what was owed on the car and how much the insurance company paid out. Best ever £140 I've ever been forced to pay as the car was only 13 months old then and owed around £1500 more than the car was worth.
The ultimate gentleman.
Reply 17
That only works in theory, in the end that manager is human too.

Its not "theory" at all.

Noone is that much of an idiot to base hiring someone or not over the car they drive!

Quick Reply

Latest