The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I never thought it'd be this hard to find an electric guitar that I like which is also at an affordable price... ;'(
Original post by Bude8
I never thought it'd be this hard to find an electric guitar that I like which is also at an affordable price... ;'(

What kind are you after and what sort of budget do you have? (If you don't mind me asking...)
Original post by drowninginsound
What kind are you after and what sort of budget do you have? (If you don't mind me asking...)

Maybe around £200 ish, not including amp.

My guitar god friend suggested Ibanez - there were some ones I liked but then he explained technicalities using some jargon I didn't really understand (dive bombs, etc.), some being a pain to tune, etc. There was one I liked without a Floyd Rose but it had a reversed headstock which seriously ****ed with my mind. Is not having a Floyd Rose a big deal?

Not after any particular kind, but I'd like to be able to play this (24 frets required?)
[video="youtube;CFXvfBL4WkU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXvfBL4WkU[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
x

I watched Angel Beats, I didn't really like the ending but it still got me a bit teary:lol:
University Fees - Everyone !

Q1) When do you think you would enter the work industry i.e post-Bacheleor/Master/PHD?

Q2) How much do you reckon you'll pay off your student loans yearly, when your working?
Q3) How long do you believe it would take to pay of your loans?
Q4) Does the amount of student loan debt intimidate you in terms of how long it would take to pay it off completely, considering
most people would be in the regions of £30-56k debt?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red Fox
I watched Angel Beats, I didn't really like the ending but it still got me a bit teary:lol:

Hahahaha great! TK is a legend :tongue: That's one of the sort of 'classics' done though, what are you thinking of next?
Original post by Bude8
Maybe around £200 ish, not including amp.

My guitar god friend suggested Ibanez - there were some ones I liked but then he explained technicalities using some jargon I didn't really understand (dive bombs, etc.), some being a pain to tune, etc. There was one I liked without a Floyd Rose but it had a reversed headstock which seriously ****ed with my mind. Is not having a Floyd Rose a big deal?

Not after any particular kind, but I'd like to be able to play this (24 frets required?)
[video="youtube;CFXvfBL4WkU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXvfBL4WkU[/video]

Hmm, I'm maybe not the best person to talk to if you're wanting to play this sort of stuff! :tongue: Floyd Rose's are nice but you don't necessarily need them; however I've never had a guitar with a tremolo, so I don't know too much about them to be honest. Ibanez guitars are probably all right for this kind of playing, not sure how good a quality one you'll get with that budget. (I personally can't stand most Ibanez electrics, I have an Ibanez semi-electric hollow body which is gorgeous but I just have a weird irrational hatred of most of them so don't go by my opinion. :lol:) 24 frets would provide versatility, I guess.

For just general playing, I was going to suggest something like an Epiphone SG: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04042010471618

These are also really nice if you could stretch to it:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04042010202518

And I would always recommend tele's. :colondollar: Fender does the best (obviously) but Squier is still decent: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04042010202518
Hmm, I'm maybe not the best person to talk to if you're wanting to play this sort of stuff! :tongue: Floyd Rose's are nice but you don't necessarily need them; however I've never had a guitar with a tremolo, so I don't know too much about them to be honest. Ibanez guitars are probably all right for this kind of playing, not sure how good a quality one you'll get with that budget. (I personally can't stand most Ibanez electrics, I have an Ibanez semi-electric hollow body which is gorgeous but I just have a weird irrational hatred of most of them so don't go by my opinion. :lol:) 24 frets would provide versatility, I guess.

For just general playing, I was going to suggest something like an Epiphone SG: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04042010471618

These are also really nice if you could stretch to it:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04042010202518

And I would always recommend tele's. :colondollar: Fender does the best (obviously) but Squier is still decent: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04042010202518

Thanks! I remember being super super super picky about it :tongue:
I recall wanting: dotted fretboard
headstock with tuning things all on one side
only one colour

My ears are also pretty bad so sound quality won't be too much of an issue :lol: I'll have another look when it's closer to Christmas.

How many guitars do you own then?
Original post by Bude8
Hahahaha great! TK is a legend :tongue: That's one of the sort of 'classics' done though, what are you thinking of next?

I'll probably start Kuroko's basketball tomorrow:tongue:. TK is great, he probably doesn't seem as weird in the dubbed version if everyone else is talking English though.
Original post by Red Fox
I'll probably start Kuroko's basketball tomorrow:tongue:. TK is great, he probably doesn't seem as weird in the dubbed version if everyone else is talking English though.

I've always wondered how they handle such things when they're dubbing into another language... Does TK speak Japanese in the English dub? :lol:

This is always the first to come to mind:
[video="youtube;dU4lYcN6zEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4lYcN6zEY[/video]

Kuroko's Basketball is soooo good - 2nd season especially, and its soundtrack omg
Original post by Bude8
I've always wondered how they handle such things when they're dubbing into another language... Does TK speak Japanese in the English dub? :lol:

This is always the first to come to mind:
[video="youtube;dU4lYcN6zEY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU4lYcN6zEY[/video]

Kuroko's Basketball is soooo good - 2nd season especially, and its soundtrack omg

I may actually watch an episode to find out:lol:. I made the bad decision of googling a question about AoT that I had after watching the first series and came across some major spoilers from the manga:frown:
Original post by Bude8
Thanks! I remember being super super super picky about it :tongue:
I recall wanting: dotted fretboard
headstock with tuning things all on one side
only one colour

My ears are also pretty bad so sound quality won't be too much of an issue :lol: I'll have another look when it's closer to Christmas.

How many guitars do you own then?

No problem! Honestly, just surf around guitarguitar for a while and you'll find something you like. Or if you go to any large music store I'm sure the sales assistants will be able to point you in the right direction and let you try them out. Haha, I've seen people be more picky. :wink:

Erm, 5 in total at the moment: 2 acoustics, Epiphone SG, Ibabez jazz semi hollow-body (not that I play jazz...), and a Fender Tele which I love more than anything.
Oh and a ukelele. :colondollar:
Original post by MangoFreak
I shall give my own recommendation of the StarTalk radio show (Neil deGrasse Tyson's) :biggrin:

ahh thanks! :smile:
Original post by Red Fox
I may actually watch an episode to find out:lol:. I made the bad decision of googling a question about AoT that I had after watching the first series and came across some major spoilers from the manga:frown:

Rookie mistake I once made too... I've accidentally read comments by accident though and sometimes when you're not paying attention, you forget to stop reading after "spoiler alert" T_T

I wish you could un-remember things though haha.

No problem! Honestly, just surf around guitarguitar for a while and you'll find something you like. Or if you go to any large music store I'm sure the sales assistants will be able to point you in the right direction and let you try them out. Haha, I've seen people be more picky. :wink:

Erm, 5 in total at the moment: 2 acoustics, Epiphone SG, Ibabez jazz semi hollow-body (not that I play jazz...), and a Fender Tele which I love more than anything.
Oh and a ukelele. :colondollar:

I really liked one of the Ibanez ones BUT THE REVERSED HEADSTOCK :frown: I keep thinking it's a lefty guitar :lol:
Do you use any specific picks? My friend was telling me about how jazz (Jazz III?) picks are really small... I was watching

Spoiler

and I didn't notice this but he was hiding a pick in his hand :redface: anyhow, people are telling me that's like almost impossible to play on the guitar so I'm even more impressed :lol:

I've just about got used to thick picks (1.50mm) and picking in general now :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Rookie mistake I once made too... I've accidentally read comments by accident though and sometimes when you're not paying attention, you forget to stop reading after "spoiler alert" T_T

I wish you could un-remember things though haha.

I really liked one of the Ibanez ones BUT THE REVERSED HEADSTOCK :frown: I keep thinking it's a lefty guitar :lol:
Do you use any specific picks? My friend was telling me about how jazz (Jazz III?) picks are really small... I was watching

Spoiler

and I didn't notice this but he was hiding a pick in his hand :redface: anyhow, people are telling me that's like almost impossible to play on the guitar so I'm even more impressed :lol:

I've just about got used to thick picks (1.50mm) and picking in general now :lol:

Yeah... would be awesome. They're not even small spoilers it's basically the entire point of the plot, I actually hate myself for not stopping at spoiler alert. Debating whether it's worth reading the manga or not as I'm someone who would enjoy it much more as a show tbh.
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah... would be awesome. They're not even small spoilers it's basically the entire point of the plot, I actually hate myself for not stopping at spoiler alert. Debating whether it's worth reading the manga or not as I'm someone who would enjoy it much more as a show tbh.

I haven't heard much about an AoT season II, maybe I'm not looking hard enough :tongue:
I've heard about them making live action movies for it though.
Original post by Bude8

Spoiler

Reverse headstocks are definitely weird... Erm, generally I just use the standard orange ones (can't remember the exact thickness as the writing's rubbed off all of mine - 0.69mm maybe?) however my friend got me a plectrum maker for my birthday which is amazing. :biggrin: I'll admit I had not seen specific jazz plectrums before! My uber brilliant guitarist bandmate gets these special metal and resin ones from America which I think is a little excessive. :redface:

1.5 is thick! Any reason why you choose them? I couldn't get used to that at all... I started out playing more finger-style stuff and it took me ages to learn how to pick half-decently. :tongue:
Original post by Bude8
I haven't heard much about an AoT season II, maybe I'm not looking hard enough :tongue:
I've heard about them making live action movies for it though.

Season 2 won't come out until 2015 I think. The two movies are just recaps of season 1 which is a bit meh.
Reverse headstocks are definitely weird... Erm, generally I just use the standard orange ones (can't remember the exact thickness as the writing's rubbed off all of mine - 0.69mm maybe?) however my friend got me a plectrum maker for my birthday which is amazing. :biggrin: I'll admit I had not seen specific jazz plectrums before! My uber brilliant guitarist bandmate gets these special metal and resin ones from America which I think is a little excessive. :redface:

1.5 is thick! Any reason why you choose them? I couldn't get used to that at all... I started out playing more finger-style stuff and it took me ages to learn how to pick half-decently. :tongue:

I think I started off with a decent one - 0.81mm perhaps? My friends told me that thicker picks are easier to play with - and I feel the same way too now. I ordered a pack of 10 and they came in various sizes, 1.50mm is the thickest one and I followed my friends advice and it feels pretty good. It felt soooooooooooo weird at the start though... I heard most pros use thicker ones too? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Petrucci-427PJP-Plectrums-Ultex/dp/B007XA0KQE --> my friend said these are the best picks he's ever used.

Still, I've only played for like 2 weeks so I'm still a noob :tongue: I don't really know any chords and I'm sort of just learning melodies at the moment (mostly transcribed from my friend's perfect pitch :lol:) but I'm learning Glasgow Kiss as a really long term goal :smile:

Is your plectrum maker the one for old credit etc cards? I think I've seen one of those around!
Original post by Bude8
I think I started off with a decent one - 0.81mm perhaps? My friends told me that thicker picks are easier to play with - and I feel the same way too now. I ordered a pack of 10 and they came in various sizes, 1.50mm is the thickest one and I followed my friends advice and it feels pretty good. It felt soooooooooooo weird at the start though... I heard most pros use thicker ones too? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-Petrucci-427PJP-Plectrums-Ultex/dp/B007XA0KQE --> my friend said these are the best picks he's ever used.

Still, I've only played for like 2 weeks so I'm still a noob :tongue: I don't really know any chords and I'm sort of just learning melodies at the moment (mostly transcribed from my friend's perfect pitch :lol:) but I'm learning Glasgow Kiss as a really long term goal :smile:

Is your plectrum maker the one for old credit etc cards? I think I've seen one of those around!

Wow, I'd find it so weird to play with such a thick plectrum. I guess it's just personal preference really. My friend seems to agree with your friend then, he refuses to play with anything less than 1.5 now! To be honest I only like using plectrums for occasional rhythm playing. Even lead I prefer to use my fingers - St Vincent is my idol. :tongue:

Eh, you've got to start somewhere! Although I would recommend actually trying to learn the theory of what you're playing (I don't know how musical you already are), because playing by ear can only really get you so far. Good luck with that piece, not sure I would attempt it. :biggrin:

Yes it is! Though I've found that old plastic ice cream tubs work best. :wink:

Latest