The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Dunno whether to join u guys, man utd, or City. Might consider Chelsea too. Still thinking...
Original post by Lúcio
couldn't agree more.
sounds weird but i'd rather us go out 4th than have the extra europa league games.
we wouldn't win it so i'd rather not have the extra games.

No way! We bought more squad players for the sole purpose of having more games. It's also crucial game time for the large number of developing players we have and we can definitely win it provided Rodgers' fixes his ****. Spots 4-7 will be very, very tight in my opinion and getting the CL spot might prove crucial for us. Not qualifying for CL is probably the worst thing that could happen to LFC.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Dunno whether to join u guys, man utd, or City. Might consider Chelsea too. Still thinking...

I feel sorry for you Arsenal fans! 3-0 at 60 mins and 3-3 at FT, how come you guys couldn't defend a 3-0 lead?
My biggest positive to take from this game was set piece defending, we looked so much more solid defending them today then we have this season.
Ludogorets on the 26th November, Crystal Palace and Stoke either side.
Original post by The.Joker
I feel sorry for you Arsenal fans! 3-0 at 60 mins and 3-3 at FT, how come you guys couldn't defend a 3-0 lead?

Clearly our players have been watching too many clips of your game at Crystal palace last season.

Think I might move to West Ham or something. I'm bloody tired of Arsenal's crap.
Clearly our players have been watching too many clips of your game at Crystal palace last season.

Think I might move to West Ham or something. I'm bloody tired of Arsenal's crap.

Weren't you winning 3-0?
How did you manage to **** it up that badly?:biggrin:
Original post by Rk2k14
Weren't you winning 3-0?
How did you manage to **** it up that badly?:biggrin:

Nah seriously, you can't be taking the micky about being 3-0 then bottling it now can you?

We're so dire at times it's unreal. Yes the ref is to blame to a small teeny tiny extent but regardless of that how did we muck that up? I'm not even surprised tbh. Against Anderflippingleght you know.
Nah seriously, you can't be taking the micky about being 3-0 then bottling it now can you?

We're so dire at times it's unreal. Yes the ref is to blame to a small teeny tiny extent but regardless of that how did we muck that up? I'm not even surprised tbh. Against Anderflippingleght you know.

Seems like something United would do, *cough Leicester:colone:
Their defence wasn't ridiculous and it gets got at by any decent forward opposition.

They just have a fast defence and if you lot can't string a few passes together and force them out of position via dynamic and fluid interplay you're never going to score.
Original post by jam277
Their defence wasn't ridiculous and it gets got at by any decent forward opposition.

They just have a fast defence and if you lot can't string a few passes together and force them out of position via dynamic and fluid interplay you're never going to score.

Are you talking about Madrid?
Because it didn't get 'got at' by Barca.
But I agree, a top attack, someone like Bayern could expose RM's defence (if we're talking about them:biggrin:).
Reply 5191
I've said it many times before: Toure has been unfairly criticised by our fans simply because of those 2 bad mistakes around January time last season. Apart from the obvious lack of pace, he is a very decent defender and is less prone to making silly mistakes than Skrtel. It's no coincidence imo that we always look a lot more solid at the back when he's in the team.

I think we should consider a Toure/Lovren partnership for the game at Chelsea. Toure/Sakho could also work very well once he's back from injury. Skrtel, Sakho and Lovren could all really do with someone beside them that is a bit of a leader and I think Toure provides that.

I definitely want to see Borini starting against Chelsea (unless Sturridge is fit to start obviously). Whilst he doesn't really provide a lot on the ball, his movement moves defenders around and creates space for our other players to do their thing. A Balotelli/Borini partnership could work, although I doubt BR would play a diamond against a top team when we're in the form we are currently in, so I would have Lallana and Sterling flanking Borini.

Dunno what I'd do in midfield tbh, I'm undecided. I like how Can brings the ball forward and drives into space, but his passing has a tendency to be a bit wayward. I think I'd just go back to what worked best last season: Gerrard behind Hendo and Coutinho. That said, I think Lucas deserves a chance of Gerrard one day, but it obviously isn't going to come against Chelsea.
Original post by Rk2k14
Are you talking about Madrid?
Because it didn't get 'got at' by Barca.
But I agree, a top attack, someone like Bayern could expose RM's defence (if we're talking about them:biggrin:).

Yes it did in the first half, Pique then managed to cock the game up for them and they did one of the most pathetic crumbles I've seen(besides that CL game today)

It was 'got at' by Atlético Madrid as well.
It was 'got at' by Real Sociedad and they shipped 4 goals to them.

Give them a team that can defend properly and string together a few passes at pace and Real will struggle. Also they're terrible at defending set pieces.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yes it did in the first half, Pique then managed to cock the game up for them and they struggled since.

It was 'got at' by Atlético Madrid as well.
It was 'got at' by Real Sociedad and they shipped 4 goals to them.

Give them a team that can defend properly and string together a few passes at pace and Real will struggle. Also they're terrible at defending set pieces.

True, but their attack more than makes up for it. It makes it harder to defend when you're going up against the best attack in the world, and trying to get the ball off Modric and Kroos is pretty hard. But like you said, if a team can string passes together they will struggle, as they have no recognised CDM since Alonso left.
Btw saw the way you lot played, Real could have played another 90mins and still kept it at 1-0. They weren't even good today, just toyed around with you lot. Ronaldo was quite poor and was more focused on getting onto a highlight reel than being the clinical Ronaldo you see.

You should have just parked the bus at Anfield from the word go. Wasn't worth it wasting energy trying to press them off the ball when your attack is nowhere near clinical enough to make use of the possession you win.
Original post by Rk2k14
True, but their attack more than makes up for it. It makes it harder to defend when you're going up against the best attack in the world, and trying to get the ball off Modric and Kroos is pretty hard. But like you said, if a team can string passes together they will struggle, as they have no recognised CDM since Alonso left.

Yeah not saying that it's a major problem, when you got 3 players who can provide you with 100 goals when fit(BRB) then no need to focus on defend.

I just looked at liverpool today, their forwards were either isolated and when they did have support the likes of Allen doing sidepasses and slowing down possession, Liverpool were scared to attack them. Don't help that Reals defence is so fast. Tbh Alonso was shot at Real+Spain and is only doing well at Bayern because everyone parks the bus and gives him space on the ball. It's like with Gerrard last season.
Original post by jam277
Yeah not saying that it's a major problem, when you got 3 players who can provide you with 100 goals when fit(BRB) then no need to focus on defend.

I just looked at liverpool today, their forwards were either isolated and when they did have support the likes of Allen doing sidepasses and slowing down possession, Liverpool were scared to attack them. Don't help that Reals defence is so fast. Tbh Alonso was shot at Real+Spain and is only doing well at Bayern because everyone parks the bus and gives him space on the ball. It's like with Gerrard last season.

True dat, Varane and Ramos are rapid. Someone like Aguero would put them in their place:biggrin:. Reckon, Sterling could have gave them a headache. Pace AND strength would definitely weaken their defence.
But I have to say i was very impressed with Varane and Marcelo.
Bet its killing Mouriniho that he won't be able to get his hands on him:biggrin:
Original post by Rk2k14
True dat, Varane and Ramos are rapid. Someone like Aguero would put them in their place:biggrin:. Reckon, Sterling could have gave them a headache. Pace AND strength would definitely weaken their defence.
But I have to say i was very impressed with Varane and Marcelo.
Bet its killing Mouriniho that he won't be able to get his hands on him:biggrin:

Yeah he could have, but like with markovic if he had no support he was never going to do great. Not many teams have what it takes to beat Real though. Bayern, Atlético and Chelsea, maybe a fully fit Dortmund side or Barca at nou camp but no other team should really fancy their chances.
Original post by jam277
Yeah he could have, but like with markovic if he had no support he was never going to do great. Not many teams have what it takes to beat Real though. Bayern, Atlético and Chelsea, maybe a fully fit Dortmund side or Barca at nou camp but no other team should really fancy their chances.

Do you think they have what it takes to win the CL again?
Personally, like you mentioned, once they go against a side like Bayern/Chelsea then they will get exposed.
I think it will be Bayern this year.
So even if Basel beat Real Madrid, so long as we beat Ludo and Basel (the latter by more than 1 goal) - we go through on the head to head?

Quick Reply

Latest