The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

english offer A*A*A? what are they playing at?

i havent applied to exeter yet, but ive seen pretty much everyone who has got an offer from them saying that theirs is for A*A*A
i mean, i know the guidelines of standard offer on the website can be flexible, but really, surely they shouldnt out and out lie. a standard offer should be the one you are giving as a standard, but ive not seen ANYONE get a lower offer. surely thats just unfair to pretend that people should expect a certain standard but then change it completely. kind of a nasty trick
anyone know why this might be, or maybe got an offer for their actual standard offer A*AA?

Scroll to see replies

mmm yes i could understand if they were just honest about it in the first place on their requirements page. im more miffed about the fact that by the looks of things theyre just liars
shrug
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Maybe demand was high enough so that they could offer higher grades and still fill their quota of English students.
I doubt this affects you.
Original post by EmergencyBagels
i havent applied to exeter yet, but ive seen pretty much everyone who has got an offer from them saying that theirs is for A*A*A
i mean, i know the guidelines of standard offer on the website can be flexible, but really, surely they shouldnt out and out lie. a standard offer should be the one you are giving as a standard, but ive not seen ANYONE get a lower offer. surely thats just unfair to pretend that people should expect a certain standard but then change it completely. kind of a nasty trick
anyone know why this might be, or maybe got an offer for their actual standard offer A*AA?

I wouldn't get worried before you get that offer. Maybe those people have different circumstances to you.
Original post by ByronicHero
I doubt this affects you.

please elaborate
mmm yes i could understand if they were just honest about it in the first place on their requirements page. im more miffed about the fact that by the looks of things theyre just liars
shrug

They can't predict what the standard of applicants will be so they can't predict what their standard offer will be for any particular year.

So their standard offers are based on what they have given out for offers over the last fe years.

If they seem to be giving out offers that are at the top end of, or out of the range of, their "standard offer" then it likely means that either they have received an unusually high number of applicants this year, or the standard has been unusually high.

If you think they are lying then answer this question for me. How are they meant to know how many applicants they will get or what standard the applicants will be at before anybody has even applied?
Reply 7
The majority of those receiving the A*A*A offers are Oxbridge candidates. In consideration of other people's thoughts and the competitive climate of Universities, I believe they are giving out such high grades so they are not an insurance choice for people. They want to be selected as a firm choice Russell Group in their own right most probably.
yeah sorry i got a bit dramatic with the whole THEYRE LYING thing but you know, it scared me a bit is all. thanks guys, still seems a bit much to me anyways but i guess they can do what they like, obviously
I got an offer of AAB from Exeter and I'm a Cambridge applicant. So why are other people getting A*A*A offers? It seems ridiculous.
Original post by TheWarwicko
I got an offer of AAB from Exeter and I'm a Cambridge applicant. So why are other people getting A*A*A offers? It seems ridiculous.

May I ask what your predictions were?
Original post by ErinHannah_
May I ask what your predictions were?

A*A*AA, yours?
Reply 12

Was this for English single honours?
Original post by LJDRx
Was this for English single honours?

BA English, Q300.
Reply 14
BA English, Q300.

Wow! Congratulations👏 very jealous.
Grade entry requirements inflation to combat inflation of grade predictions. Exeter isn't even that good ew.

did you apply for the exeter or cornwall campus? exeter is the one asking for A*A*A i think, but cornwall generally asks for AAB
did you apply for the exeter or cornwall campus? exeter is the one asking for A*A*A i think, but cornwall generally asks for AAB

I applied to the Exeter Campus.
Reply 18
Hi

If it helps I got offered a 36 in IB for Exeter - I believe this equates to something like an AAA/AAB although must have an A in English.

Good luck with your application.
Original post by BBeyond
Maybe demand was high enough so that they could offer higher grades and still fill their quota of English students.

Lol wut tf are you talking about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending