The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

No doubt Moffat would explain that everyone simply forgot.:eek:
Original post by tomtjl
As far as I'm aware, everytime there has been a Cyberman invasion in London there has been some sort of alternate universe fix that stops it from ever happening. I could be forgetting one though, which particular episode did you mean?

Aye Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. :holmes:

I still think that it might not actually be the 'real' London.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Aye Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. :holmes:

I still think that it might not actually be the 'real' London.

Ahh yes, as someone else pointed out everyone had forgotten about that due to the cracks in the universe. It's not really an explanation, but I think it's the best you'll get :tongue:.
Original post by tomtjl
Ahh yes, as someone else pointed out everyone had forgotten about that due to the cracks in the universe. It's not really an explanation, but I think it's the best you'll get :tongue:.

This is why I hate Moffat. He has all these ideas but no idea how to explain them logically. The cracks had nothing to do with the Cybermen/Daleks from that early on. If it was the cracks surely it would just be Amy that was effected?

Either way my hatred for Moffat grows. It at times just feels like he is intent on just destroying Dr Who.
If this finale doesn't lead into or have some kind of link to the return of the Time Lords then I'm going to start getting annoyed. What was the point in retconning the whole "last of the Time Lords" thing if the Time Lords will never come back?

I suppose this is what Steven Moffat calls an "arc"- mentioning something once and then expanding on it three series later.
Moffat is a good writer, but in a way his talent gets in the way of writing a coherent story. It's all character, character, character, and the plot is an after thought. This actually worked well early in the series with episodes like "Listen", but two of his three characters are really bad, politically correct feminist gender constructions that don't remotely resemble human beings, the plots and storylines are rushed into and not thought about, and most of the time are just ridiculous and broken. The kind of fast, off beat, piffy style that seems to work in Sherlock is not compatable with the Dr Who narrative style. It's like he's imitating the Tarantino style, without the coherence, complexity or depth, and it just comes off as rushed.
Reply 4206
Original post by GCSEsitter
I think Moffat is a great writer but this series has been disappointing to say the least. I just have one question, at they very end of the last episode when Danny is about to press delete we see the reflection of someone else's face in the iPad. Who was that??

I didn't even notice this. Just watched the last couple of minutes again - it's the boy! The boy Danny killed whilst still a soldier.
I think Moffat is an appallingly 1 dimensional writer who's being found out for the hack he is. The same episodes again and again. The same overly witty, borderline cringey dialogue and sharp exchanges every episode. The same recycled, half baked plotlines each episode. And then the loose, unfulfilled plot strands like the crack etc. It seems he has these ideas, runs with them but then realises there is no coherent end to them so a half baked ending is inserted.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
If this finale doesn't lead into or have some kind of link to the return of the Time Lords then I'm going to start getting annoyed. What was the point in retconning the whole "last of the Time Lords" thing if the Time Lords will never come back?

I suppose this is what Steven Moffat calls an "arc"- mentioning something once and then expanding on it three series later.

I assume it has to link into the last time we saw the Master, as he said the Doctor "left him for dead". Not really sure how the Doctor did that though, since the Master basically saved Earth from the Time Lords.
Original post by somemightsay888
I think Moffat is an appallingly 1 dimensional writer who's being found out for the hack he is. The same episodes again and again. The same overly witty, borderline cringey dialogue and sharp exchanges every episode. The same recycled, half baked plotlines each episode. And then the loose, unfulfilled plot strands like the crack etc. It seems he has these ideas, runs with them but then realises there is no coherent end to them so a half baked ending is inserted.

This isn't justified. He makes a mess of Dr who on the whole, although with the odd exceptional episode, but he's done fantastic work in Sherlock.
Original post by KingStannis
This isn't justified. He makes a mess of Dr who on the whole, although with the odd exceptional episode, but he's done fantastic work in Sherlock.

Not disputing the fact Sherlock is very well written. But the gaping similarities between the 2 episodes dialogue just scream "Well, Sherlock works. Let's copy and paste". The short sharp exchanges, the humour, the dynamic between the characters is just copied and pasted. It works in Sherlock, it does not work in Doctor Who. That is 1 dimensional for me, when similarities become lazy copying. I get it, he writes Sherlock so there will be similarities and he can't just erase all ideas stemming from Sherlock's dialogue, but Christ man at least give us something fresh. Don't rehash the dialogue of the superior series and hope it works.
Not disputing the fact Sherlock is very well written. But the gaping similarities between the 2 episodes dialogue just scream "Well, Sherlock works. Let's copy and paste". The short sharp exchanges, the humour, the dynamic between the characters is just copied and pasted. It works in Sherlock, it does not work in Doctor Who. That is 1 dimensional for me, when similarities become lazy copying. I get it, he writes Sherlock so there will be similarities and he can't just erase all ideas stemming from Sherlock's dialogue, but Christ man at least give us something fresh. Don't rehash the dialogue of the superior series and hope it works.

I can't comment on the dialogue. But the character relationships of both shows seem pretty different to me.
I can't comment on the dialogue. But the character relationships of both shows seem pretty different to me.

They seem a bit too similar to me, the whole "playful but I love you really" nature of both relationships. Still, I think we'll agree to disagree.
Moffat is a good writer, but in a way his talent gets in the way of writing a coherent story. It's all character, character, character, and the plot is an after thought. This actually worked well early in the series with episodes like "Listen", but two of his three characters are really bad, politically correct feminist gender constructions that don't remotely resemble human beings, the plots and storylines are rushed into and not thought about, and most of the time are just ridiculous and broken. The kind of fast, off beat, piffy style that seems to work in Sherlock is not compatable with the Dr Who narrative style. It's like he's imitating the Tarantino style, without the coherence, complexity or depth, and it just comes off as rushed.

Ooh imagine a double-episode written & directed by Tarantino. I'd pay mega bucks to see that happen!
Original post by St. Brynjar
Ooh imagine a double-episode written & directed by Tarantino. I'd pay mega bucks to see that happen!

Same. That would be intellectual fap bait.
Original post by GCSEsitter
I think Moffat is a great writer but this series has been disappointing to say the least. I just have one question, at they very end of the last episode when Danny is about to press delete we see the reflection of someone else's face in the iPad. Who was that??

That was the kid that Danny killed in Iraq.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am I the only one who thinks this series has been a huge improvement compared to basically all of Matt Smith's series? Maybe it is just because the tone is a bit less childish (most of the time) but the only episode I've thought was absolutely terrible this series was the first one, which I think is one of Doctor Who's worst episodes. I'm not saying it is amazing but I feel it has improved. The Dalek episode was one of the best in years I think and last weeks was pretty good too.
Am I the only one who thinks this series has been a huge improvement compared to basically all of Matt Smith's series? Maybe it is just because the tone is a bit less childish (most of the time) but the only episode I've thought was absolutely terrible this series was the first one, which I think is one of Doctor Who's worst episodes. I'm not saying it is amazing but I feel it has improved. The Dalek episode was one of the best in years I think and last weeks was pretty good too.

The first half the the series defiantly. It went downhill sometime shortly after listen imo.

I agree that the series is a lot better than most of the Matt Smith series. I like the darker tone and I like how the companion no longer wants to jump on the Doctor's sausage, which is what we've been subjected to ever since Matt Smith.
The first half the the series defiantly. It went downhill sometime shortly after listen imo.

Really? The only episodes I think are actually quite good are Into the Dalek, Time Heist, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Dark Water.

Caretaker was ok, but the rest have been either mediocre or poor imo.

Quick Reply

Latest