The Student Room Group

Do you agree with Iran when they hang gay people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
I was being sarcastic lol

Phew. I thought it was sarcasm at first, but you can never be sure on TSR...
Original post by Celise Waan
I don't know how I feel about this tbh. I don't feel strongly enough about the topic to make a comment either way. I'll sit on the fence.

You are not strictly against murdering people based on sexual preference?

You disgust me.
Reply 22
As I muslim, I can confirm this is not what Islam preaches and it's absolutely disgusting that Iran is doing this whilst fabricating quotes that are legitmately not from the Holy Quraan. :facepalm:
Nooo.
Reply 24
Original post by Reluire
It's disgusting and sits on par with executing someone for being black, too tall or having blond hair etc. It is a factor beyond their control - and what's more, there's simply nothing wrong with being gay and it causes no harm. Hanging someone because of their sexuality is a crime against humanity.

You can hide your sexuality if forced (e.g. for fear of your saftey) and even your blonde hair, but you can never hide your ethinicity (Hence why slavery, Apartheid and Holocaust happened).

Plus there are black gays as well, so you are being racist by saying this.
No way will I ever agree with any country or culture that murders people simply for being gay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sadly
You can hide your sexuality if forced (e.g. for fear of your saftey) and even your blonde hair, but you can never hide your ethinicity (Hence why slavery, Apartheid and Holocaust happened).

Plus there are black gays as well, so you are being racist by saying this.

The holocaust was not ethnicity specific by any means, so I don't know why you've used it as an example. Regardless, why should one have to hide their sexuality? If for argument's sake one could hide their ethnicity, why should they have to?

I fail to see how I'm being racist. Maybe you could explain to me?
Reply 28
Original post by Reluire
The holocaust was not ethnicity specific by any means, so I don't know why you've used it as an example. Regardless, why should one have to hide their sexuality? If for argument's sake one could hide their ethnicity, why should they have to?

I fail to see how I'm being racist. Maybe you could explain to me?

Because in Germany during the pre-war WW2 period, Jews were segregated from the rest of German society, due to their Jewish ethnicity and roots. As long as the said person's 3rd/4th Grandparents were Jewish they were essentially Jewish and were subject to anti-Semitic hate. This was stated by Hitler himself.

Also I never said somebody had to hide their sexuality (I do not support this and this is wrong) however I said they had the ability to, I feel that we should talk about the most predominant issues here first.

And I said you were racist regarding your comment toward the comment you made here "sits on par with executing someone for being black". There are black people who are gay/lesbian or homosexuals. If you say that the "hanging of gay people" sits on par with an execution of a black person you have completely ignored the existence of gay blacks hence segregating them from other gay/lesbian/homosexuals.

Hence why that was (hopefully unintentional) racist.
Original post by sadly
As I muslim, I can confirm this is not what Islam preaches and it's absolutely disgusting that Iran is doing this whilst fabricating quotes that are legitmately not from the Holy Quraan. :facepalm:

Sadly, I think you're wrong.

We also (sent) Lut: He said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you?
"For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women : ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds."
And his people gave no answer but this: they said, "Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!"
But we saved him and his family, except his wife: she was of those who legged behind.
And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): Then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime!

Source:
http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/home/
Original post by sadly

Because in Germany during the pre-war WW2 period, Jews were segregated from the rest of German society, due to their Jewish ethnicity and roots. As long as the said person's 3rd/4th Grandparents were Jewish they were essentially Jewish and were subject to anti-Semitic hate. This was stated by Hitler himself.

Also I never said somebody had to hide their sexuality (I do not support this and this is wrong) however I said they had the ability to, I feel that we should talk about the most predominant issues here first.

And I said you were racist regarding your comment toward the comment you made here "sits on par with executing someone for being black". There are black people who are gay/lesbian or homosexuals. If you say that the "hanging of gay people" sits on par with an execution of a black person you have completely ignored the existence of gay blacks hence segregating them from other gay/lesbian/homosexuals.

Hence why that was (hopefully unintentional) racist.

Ahh I see what you mean. I sometimes forget that ethnicity can refer to social groups like the Jewish community. I'm used to it just referring to one's race. So yes, you're right - the holocaust did have a big connection with ethnicity.

I still don't see how I've been racist. I don't understand how I've ignored the existence of gay blacks either. What I was saying in that comment was that the logic is the same with both examples. One cannot help their sexuality, just as they cannot help the race they belong to. Therefore, executing one for having a characteristic or physical feature they cannot help is hugely flawed logic. Whether one is gay and black really bears no relevance to the message I'm trying to convey.
Reply 31
Original post by KingBradly
Sadly, I think you're wrong.

We also (sent) Lut: He said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you?
"For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women : ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds."
And his people gave no answer but this: they said, "Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!"
But we saved him and his family, except his wife: she was of those who legged behind.
And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): Then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime!

Source:
http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/home/

Okay
1) Did I deny my religion saw it as a sin?
2) I find it funny you can find nothing in the scriptures about the actual "HANGING OF GAY PEOPLE, but that's none of my business.
Original post by sadly
Okay
1) Did I deny my religion saw it as a sin?
2) I find it funny you can find nothing in the scriptures about the actual "HANGING OF GAY PEOPLE, but that's none of my business.

Well that excerpt describes raining fire and brimstone down on them, which I assume would kill them. I don't really see how the method of killing them matters.
Original post by sliceofcake
I'm not going to argue with you, but I will point out that they are hung for something they have no control over and is causing no harm to anyone.

No I don't agree with it.

I'm pretty sure they were hung for their acts not for who they are attracted to. Everybody is assumed to be able to control their actions, even if they can't control who they are attracted to.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
I'm pretty sure they were hung for their acts not for who they are attracted to. Everybody is assumed to be able to control their actions, even if they can't control who they are attracted to.

Does that make it OK?
Original post by KingBradly
Does that make it OK?

I actually agree with sliceofcake in the sense that it is wrong to hang gay people, but nevertheless I think there should be standards of logical reasoning even among those who agree with me. It does no good for society accept irrational logic just because we agree with the conclusion.
Original post by Democracy
Of course not. And it didn't happen prior to 1979 either so it's not even to do with "culture" before all the relativist morons swan in. It's a ****ing theocratic dictatorship which hangs people for every possible reason under the sun.

It's because Iran became a Muslim country.
Reply 37
Is this a serious question?! No, of course not.
No absolutely not! I can't see how any caring human being would think its ok. For one being gay is not a bad thing , it's just what some people are and it's terrifying that societies view it in such a negative way. And secondly it's completly stripping people of their human rights , no-one deserves to die because of loving someone. Omgosh I'm so angry that this is happening.
Original post by SuperiorGenius
It's because Iran became a Muslim country.

I realise you're a massive troll, but on the off chance you're not, the least you can do is pick up a history book or something. Or just carry on trollin, trollin, trollin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply