The Student Room Group

What is better for women: Western culture or Islamic culture?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tazarooni89
Yes; although that alone does not make a country "representative of Islam".

I didn't say it did. I'm just acknowledging that this is symptomatic of an Islamic country.
What's the point in asking questions with obvious answers.
Original post by KingBradly
I didn't say it did. I'm just acknowledging that this is symptomatic of an Islamic country.

Okay. And I'm just acknowledging that, just because a country happens to be the birthplace of Muhammad and to contain Islam's holiest city, doesn't necessarily mean that the country is always run in a way that is representative of Islam.
Reply 63
Okay. And I'm just acknowledging that, just because a country happens to be the birthplace of Muhammad and to contain Islam's holiest city, doesn't necessarily mean that the country is always run in a way that is representative of Islam.

But most Islamic countries criminalize homosexuality, fornication, and adultery.
Is this even a question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ribbit1234
I dont think drugs sex partying drinking etc is liberating or fun..
drugs are not fun; drinking can be; the rest - generally - is

I am talking from personal experience ... are you ?
Reply 66
Original post by mariachi
drugs are not fun; drinking can be; the rest - generally - is

I am talking from personal experience ... are you ?

Alcohol is a drug, so if you think drinking is fun, you think drugs can be fun.
Reply 67
Original post by sarsoora
Because Saudi Arabia really is an accurate representation of what Islam means for women.

:facepalm:

So where is an accurate representation?
I may wish women were a bit more feminine and dare i say submissive but western culture at least treats them as equals and allows them to work and not walk around completely covered.
Alcohol is a drug, so if you think drinking is fun, you think drugs can be fun.
I said that drinking can be fun (moderately, in a social atmosphere etc) . Not that it necessarily is.

Drugs are - usually- not fun.

I am simply extrapolating from my own experience.
Original post by CJKay
So where is an accurate representation?

The Quran. Not a country, state or government in the current world.
Reply 71
Original post by mariachi
I said that drinking can be fun (moderately, in a social atmosphere etc) . Not that it necessarily is.

Drugs are - usually- not fun.

I am simply extrapolating from my own experience.

From my own experience I have found that both alcohol and drugs are usually extremely fun...but that's just me.
But most Islamic countries criminalize homosexuality, fornication, and adultery.

So? Whats your point?
Reply 73
So? Whats your point?

So in the ways that are important, they are similar to Saudi Arabia.
Reply 74
Original post by sarsoora
The Quran. Not a country, state or government in the current world.

Why do Islamic countries find it so difficult to follow the book they hold in such high regard?
So in the ways that are important, they are similar to Saudi Arabia.

I still don't see what you're getting at. Yes, Saudi Arabia and other countries with large Muslim populations have some similarities between each other, with some laws in common. So? It still doesn't mean either country is an accurate representation of an Islamic state.
Western culture,

Not that western culture is perfect it most certainly isn't, women are sexualised everywhere but actually covering them up and segregating them doesn't solve the problem in fact repressing sexuality can have damaging effects.

Islam says men & women are equal but have different roles, Islam tries to put women in a role of wife & mother, not all women want to get married or have kids, like a man might not want to work so he stays at home & raises the children. Islam was good for 7th century arabia but not now, women are repressed they cannot obtain a divorce easily unlike men, they will be cursed by angels if they don't feel like banging at the husbands will, they are basically owned by their fathers then their husbands.
Reply 77
Newsflash: People are different, even women!
I know "Islamic culture" is a broad term, but I don't think that really matters in this context.

It's a horrible misleading term. There's no "islamic culture" as there are muslims existing from all over Asia and africa Middle East etc. As a black african muslim I don't share the same culture or values as an south Asian muslim. Please stop fueling this stereotype.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reluire
You can't use the word 'every' when you don't know the opinion of every single Muslim. Not to mention, as I said, that there are millions upon millions of Muslims who will disagree with you. I don't understand how you can so narrow-mindedly claim that you know what Islam is and that the Middle East is definitely wrong. Saudi Arabia is a theocracy - it is run as an Islamic state. You might think they're just fundamentalists, but they're still representing what an Islamic culture can entail for women, and does in fact for many. And the truth is, Saudi isn't alone. There are many other countries raising difficulties for women that found themselves on Islamic principles: Sudan, Pakistan, Somalia, Afghanistan, the UAE - to name but a few.

Please don't resort to ad hominem and attack me by telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. If I don't understand, then explain what you mean to me with some evidence. That is the purpose of discussion and debate. You're yet to give any example of how Islamic culture does benefit women. I'm just curious, that's all.

The only Muslim supporters of Saudi Arabia are the 'Madkhali' section of the Salafi movement. They are actually extremely few in number and are very rare to come accross.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending