The Student Room Group

English Literature Extended Project Ideas

I'm taking the Level 3 Extended Project Qualification and as I plan to study English at university I want to make it English Literature related.

My initial idea for this project is "To what extent does classical literature influence modern young adult fiction?". I figured that I could make comparisons between classical literature and young adult novels, as I think it would be interesting to compare these texts. The only issue is that I think it would be too broad of a question and is too hard to answer. Another thing is that there would be too many texts and would be too time consuming.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to how I can alter my question? Or would you advise that I change it to something else? I would like to do something related to classic novels (specifically Victorian literature) and maybe a bit of Shakespeare in there too.

Thanks
Original post by ryanaue
I'm taking the Level 3 Extended Project Qualification and as I plan to study English at university I want to make it English Literature related.

My initial idea for this project is "To what extent does classical literature influence modern young adult fiction?". I figured that I could make comparisons between classical literature and young adult novels, as I think it would be interesting to compare these texts. The only issue is that I think it would be too broad of a question and is too hard to answer. Another thing is that there would be too many texts and would be too time consuming.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to how I can alter my question? Or would you advise that I change it to something else? I would like to do something related to classic novels (specifically Victorian literature) and maybe a bit of Shakespeare in there too.

Thanks

You could change the question to 'To what extent does classical literature influence modern literature and film.'

Although it seems like this broadens what you will have to discuss, it allows you to be creative and show how literature has influence on other things, as well as, well, literature.

For example, you could discuss how classic romantic comedies such as Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing set the frame work for modern romantic comedies, both in literature and film.
Also, how Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice was the influence behind the Bridget Jones' Diary series.
The idea that Bronte's Heathcliff, the anti-hero, the dangerous attraction, is reflected in modern day anti-heros in young adult literature. Such as Edward in the Twilight series.
Furthermore Romeo and Juliet has had a huge influence on literature through the centuries since it was written right up to the modern day, and the plot can be seen to be reflected in many modern novels and films. Get examples and discuss where the parallelism occurs.

There's so much more you could discuss as well because classic literature has influences modern popular culture immensely!

Quick Reply

Latest