The Student Room Group

PGCE PGDE difference?

Hi Guys,

I've just received an interview slot (yay!) but in the e-mail it states it's for PGDE... Is this diploma the same as a standard PGCE?

Thanks! :smile:
Is this for a university in Scotland? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I did read that is was the Scottish equivalent - but actually, this is for Liverpool John Moore's...

Hmmm...
Original post by AnyoneBesidesAsh
I did read that is was the Scottish equivalent - but actually, this is for Liverpool John Moore's...

Hmmm...

Email them :wink:
Reply 4
In England a PGDE (also referred to as an Advanced PGCE or PgDip in Education) is the same as a standard PGCE in regards to employment prospects but its all at masters level whereas only a part of the PGCE is.
Original post by gemmam
In England a PGDE (also referred to as an Advanced PGCE or PgDip in Education) is the same as a standard PGCE in regards to employment prospects but its all at masters level whereas only a part of the PGCE is.

I thought it was all at diploma level and not masters?
Reply 6
Original post by swarfliam
I thought it was all at diploma level and not masters?

A diploma isn't a level, its a type of qualification. PGDE is done at level 7 (masters level) but isn't a full masters; however you can transfer credits over to a masters course or submit a dissertation to turn the PGDE into a MA in Education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
A diploma isn't a level, its a type of qualification. PGDE is done at level 7 (masters level) but isn't a full masters; however you can transfer credits over to a masters course or submit a dissertation to turn the PGDE into a MA in Education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, but isn't that the same as what you can do with a PGCE?
Reply 8
Original post by swarfliam
Oh right, but isn't that the same as what you can do with a PGCE?

I'd imagine you'd have to do extra modules as well as the dissertation if you wanted to turn a PGCE into a MA in Education as only part of the PGCE is at level 7. You get 60 masters credits with a PGCE (PGDE is 120) so I guess you could use them towards a masters (apparently most courses only allow you to transfer 60 credits anyway).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm currently studying at LJMU doing the PGDE Secondary English route. The main difference is, as others have said, that it is a diploma and you are working at masters level.
By doing the PGDE route you have to write masters level essays alongside your ITT. I'm currently working on a 4000 word subject pedagogy essay, which students on the schools direct route don't have to do.
Once you graduate you receive recommendation for QTS as well as 2/3 of a masters of education. If you want the full masters you need to go back to write a dissertation.
The PGDE is a fantastic course with lots of faculty support. You still get in school experience in 2 different schools; a 'home' school and alternative placement.
Hope this helps!
Original post by avs1289
I'm currently studying at LJMU doing the PGDE Secondary English route. The main difference is, as others have said, that it is a diploma and you are working at masters level.
By doing the PGDE route you have to write masters level essays alongside your ITT. I'm currently working on a 4000 word subject pedagogy essay, which students on the schools direct route don't have to do.
Once you graduate you receive recommendation for QTS as well as 2/3 of a masters of education. If you want the full masters you need to go back to write a dissertation.
The PGDE is a fantastic course with lots of faculty support. You still get in school experience in 2 different schools; a 'home' school and alternative placement.
Hope this helps!

Masters level essays have to be done on the PGCE too - i'm still confused by the difference haha!
The way I understand it is that both are completed at masters level, but for a different amount of credits.
Pgce gives 60 masters credits (1/3 of a masters qualification) and pgde gives 120 masters credits (2/3 of a masters)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by jamesisntreal
The way I understand it is that both are completed at masters level, but for a different amount of credits.
Pgce gives 60 masters credits (1/3 of a masters qualification) and pgde gives 120 masters credits (2/3 of a masters)

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to my in PGCE handbook the first two levels are done at foundation level, one is done at honors level and one is at masters.
Reply 13
Original post by AnyoneBesidesAsh
Hi Guys,

I've just received an interview slot (yay!) but in the e-mail it states it's for PGDE... Is this diploma the same as a standard PGCE?

Thanks! :smile:

Not much but nowadays PGDE means you are qualified to teach in secondary schools too :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by kara2014
Not much but nowadays PGDE means you are qualified to teach in secondary schools too :smile:

As well as Primary or FE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once you've completed ITT you can teach any phase and any subject, schools will probably prefer to take you on in the phase you've trained in though.

My PGCE course has 2 masters level assignments first one is 20 credits, second one is 40 credits. If you fail them you get a professional graduate cert. ed. rather than a postgraduate but as both are PGCE no one checks anyway.

At the end of the day schools are looking for good teachers not what type of ITT you did :smile:
Reply 16
I if you study a pgde in england can you still teach in scotland as scotland does not accept pace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending