The Student Room Group

French Written Work

My college has emailed me asking for 2 pieces of work, both on the course, but we have done barely any written work in prose, so I have been reading some french books on my own and have asked my teachers to set me some essays on these books and I have written the essays on these books however they're not on the course, am I still allowed to send it? Also the one piece of written prose we have done in school, is only 350 words long and the average length of work sent to Cam is 1000-3000 so don't think this is appropriate, the essays on the independant books are around 1000? Please are these extracurricular essays okay? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I think the word count for MML written work differs slightly from essays written in English - when I sent mine in, they certainly weren't 1000-3000 words long, they were maybe 500 words each. I remember for my college (Homerton) they specified that the essays could not be written specifically for Cambridge. I'd suggest you email your college to ask if you can submit something from last year or if you are allowed to send in an 'alternative' essay. I was in a similar situation to you, and I think I sent in a non-literature essay from AS and a fairly short essay on Bonjour Tristesse from year 13, if that helps at all (I got in). Good luck!
My advice is, write something unique for Cam instead of submitting something you have already done. It will mark you out as making the effort, and also direct them to something at interview you know about and chose.
Reply 3
Original post by alcibiade
My advice is, write something unique for Cam instead of submitting something you have already done. It will mark you out as making the effort, and also direct them to something at interview you know about and chose.

This is not allowed for the majority of colleges - the Cambridge 'guide to admissions' says it must be a piece of work that has been done and marked as part of your normal studies. If you can't do this, you must contact the college to ask if you can submit something different. OP - I'd strongly suggest you contact the admissions dept at your chosen college.
Original post by RosieEPQ
This is not allowed for the majority of colleges - the Cambridge 'guide to admissions' says it must be a piece of work that has been done and marked as part of your normal studies. If you can't do this, you must contact the college to ask if you can submit something different. OP - I'd strongly suggest you contact the admissions dept at your chosen college.

IT was different in the case of my d. Important correction, thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by RosieEPQ

Thank you I have done and they just said follow the instructions and it is up to me? Thanks anyway!
Reply 6
Original post by Askaway
Thank you I have done and they just said follow the instructions and it is up to me? Thanks anyway!

In that case, I'd suggest you submit the 350-word essay you did as part of your course, then one other one. Just make sure you let them know it was done independently rather than as part of your course :smile: good luck!
When my daughter applied last year for MML she sent her most recent two essays - her Spanish essay was 250 words which was the maximum length her teachers ever set. Her other essay was English lit and was about 1500 words. They must know all schools do things differently, so I wouldn't worry too much about the length. (she got in)
Reply 8
Original post by dogwalker
When my daughter applied last year for MML she sent her most recent two essays - her Spanish essay was 250 words which was the maximum length her teachers ever set. Her other essay was English lit and was about 1500 words. They must know all schools do things differently, so I wouldn't worry too much about the length. (she got in)

Had it been rewritten or anything, I'm scared about sending mine in with quite a few mistakes but I have used ambitious language and this is expected in language essays normally but it's Cambridge..eurgh don't know?
Original post by Askaway
Had it been rewritten or anything, I'm scared about sending mine in with quite a few mistakes but I have used ambitious language and this is expected in language essays normally but it's Cambridge..eurgh don't know?

It was just as she had written it - no rewrites - and as far as I can remember it had a good mark but was also covered in crossings-out and mistakes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending