The Student Room Group

Mad school unifrom rules

An academy has sent home 152 pupils after they failed to meet the school's new strict uniform policy.

Hanson Academy in Bradford, West Yorkshire, strictly enforced a new dress code on Tuesday and almost 10% of its pupils failed to meet the standards.

Some of the rule are sensable but some are completely bulls**t. It states you cannot wear jackets/coats indoors, but then they say blazers are OK. What happens when you come inside when it's raining? You have to carry a wet rainjackets around?

Also, not being allowed school jumpers indoors in crazy, it's winter and there is nothing wrong with wearing jumpers indoors.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Totally disagree with this but my high school was the same...
Teachers would block the door and wouldn't let students in until they took off their coats
I'm so glad that I go to a school sensible enough to realise that you don't need a uniform to create a good learning environment. All of this uniform nonsense is just such a load of trivial rubbish... I mean how on earth can you even begin to rationalise any of it, not least the stuff covered in the OP?
Reply 3
Good. If there are rules regarding uniform, you follow them.
Reply 4
Unnatural hair colour and jumpers? WHAT THE ****?
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm so glad that I go to a school sensible enough to realise that you don't need a uniform to create a good learning environment. All of this uniform nonsense is just such a load of trivial rubbish... I mean how on earth can you even begin to rationalise any of it, not least the stuff covered in the OP?

Your school doesn't have a uniform? :beard: Controversial!

DO you think it makes the learning environment better? :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Your school doesn't have a uniform? :beard: Controversial!

DO you think it makes the learning environment better? :h:

It doesn't have a uniform and that's one of the main reasons why I chose it. I don't believe that a uniform has any impact on learning but because you're not forced into a silly suit (and combined with the general laid back feeling of the school), the school environment is just really pleasant. It's a really nice environment to be in and I think people are in general very happy at my school. Most people's objections to school uniforms are pretty groundless because none of the fears like poor behaviour or bullying actually happen, or at least they're no worse than in any other school. I've visited a number of secondary schools with uniforms and they just feel so much more oppressive and strict than mine. Maybe some people thrive under that kind of an environment but it's certainly not an atmosphere I want.

Honestly, I think most pro-uniform arguments boil down to "That's what I'm used to, therefore it's right".
(edited 9 years ago)
My school was worse. We had to have red (not burgundy), white (not cream), black or navy scarves/hats/gloves/coats. No coats indoors either. No unnatural hair colour (like pink, blue etc) and only one earring in each ear- no hoops or anything. I had no problem with it, you just have to deal with it and you'll have uniform in most work places anyway. My school wasn't even grammar or private, it was a girls' comprehensive
(Accidental double post!)
Original post by Chlorophile
It doesn't have a uniform and that's one of the main reasons why I chose it. I don't believe that a uniform has any impact on learning but because you're not forced into a silly suit (and combined with the general laid back feeling of the school), the school environment is just really pleasant. It's a really nice environment to be in and I think people are in general very happy at my school. Most people's objections to school uniforms are pretty groundless because none of the fears like poor behaviour or bullying actually happen, or at least they're no worse than in any other school. I've visited a number of secondary schools with uniforms and they just feel so much more oppressive and strict than mine. Maybe some people thrive under that kind of an environment but it's certainly not an atmosphere I want.

Honestly, I think most pro-uniform arguments boil down to "That's what I'm used to, therefore it's right".

I went to a school without a uniform too, although the rules about what we could wear were so strict most people just wished they'd give us a uniform to make life easier :lol:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I went to a school without a uniform too, although the rules about what we could wear were so strict most people just wished they'd give us a uniform to make life easier :lol:

We get an annual "The world doesn't want to see your boxers/don't show too much skin" talk but apart from that, it's really fine. I just don't understand the point of enforcing a strict dress code or uniform. It's just totally unnecessary and at least for me, it's yet another unnecessary cause for stress.
This is a lax uniform in comparison to ours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Fair enough rules to be honest, good to see schools trying to get their pupils into a professional mindset. It looks so much smarter and better than untucked shirts, loose ties and jumpers.
Reply 13
Original post by GodAtum
X

Have you heard of the Quest Academy? At one point, we weren't even allowed to hug! :eek:

Honest, you can search it on Google :s-smilie:
Original post by Arkasia
Good. If there are rules regarding uniform, you follow them.

You think it is perfectly reasonable to not be allowed to wear jumpers indoors in winter?

I'm all for uniform rules and some people do complain about it when there is no good reason to. But the rules in this case sound like they cross that line into being downright stupid and unreasonable. Assuming we are being shown the full picture.
Reply 15
These are fairly standard, stupid to put them in mid-year though.
Original post by RFowler
You think it is perfectly reasonable to not be allowed to wear jumpers indoors in winter?

I'm all for uniform rules and some people do complain about it when there is no good reason to. But the rules in this case sound like they cross that line into being downright stupid and unreasonable. Assuming we are being shown the full picture.

As you said, we don't know the full story. By jumpers, perhaps they mean fleeces, or multi-coloured jumpers, or styled ones (such as only v-necks allowed), or inappropriate ones. If a school has rules, you follow them - it's simple.
Uniforms are good. School shouldn't be a competition over who dresses the best. With a uniform, you don't think about what you have to wear in the morning, plus you don't have to worry about buying new clothes etc because you're getting repetitive (not trying to sound stereotypical, but I'd say this applies especially to girls).
Also, noone's forcing them to go to that school. If you don't want those rules, you change schools. Don't cry over uniform. In a few years time you'll have to work, and appropriate dress code will be enforced. If you don't obey it, you might not get sent home, but you will eventually find yourself unemployed. The image you give to the world (no matter how cool you think you are with your 'I don't care about others' opinions' attitude) is important, and a student who follows the school dress-code certainly looks smarter than someone with an untucked shirt and basically a messy uniform.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Uniforms are good. School shouldn't be a competition over who dresses the best. With a uniform, you don't think about what you have to wear in the morning, plus you don't have to worry about buying new clothes etc because you're getting repetitive (not trying to sound stereotypical, but I'd say this applies especially to girls).

School isn't a competition about who dresses over the best, people aren't as superficial as you might think. Either I'm completely dissociated from every day life in my school, or this stuff genuinely doesn't happen. And once again, I pose the question: just because some people are indecisive about what to wear, why should everyone else have to suffer? Why shouldn't I be allowed to wear what I want because some people are superficial enough to spend hours stressing about their appearance?

Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Also, noone's forcing them to go to that school. If you don't want those rules, you change schools. Don't cry over uniform. In a few years time you'll have to work, and appropriate dress code will be enforced. If you don't obey it, you might not get sent home, but you will eventually find yourself unemployed. The image you give to the world (no matter how cool you think you are with your 'I don't care about others' opinions' attitude) is important, and a student who follows the school dress-code certainly looks smarter than someone with an untucked shirt and basically a messy uniform.

So what? Why should I be impressing anyone at school? I'm trying to learn, not trying to negotiate a business deal with a client... Wearing jeans and an t shirt hasn't been a barrier to mine, or anyone else's learning...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending